• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1201B restoration

scooterd

Here are some pictures of the Thiokol I'm working on. This is when we went to pick it up. You may remember seeing it before because it was on ebay once. Have you ever seen anything this ugly before?

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,051

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang, and I thought Slow Tracs were ugly. Of course the 1201 that's on eBay right now might give yours some competition.

Attachments

• 302e_3.jpe
    302e_3.jpe
    69 KB · Views: 1,026

scooterd

Check this out. Someone really butchered this poor old girl. I have used 30 feet of angle iron to rebuild the sub frame.

Attachments

• Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Image00011.jpg
    Image00011.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 993
  • Image00016.jpg
    Image00016.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 983

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Today I picked up my 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 inch square tubing as well. Will start to get an idea of what I want. I will be extending the rear deck a bit.

KEEP up the good work!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here are some pictures of the Thiokol I'm working on. This is when we went to pick it up. You may remember seeing it before because it was on ebay once. Have you ever seen anything this ugly before?

Yes I have. Its called a Kristi Snowcat! They looked ugly right from the factory new! :yum:

scooterd

The deck was beyond repair so I replaced it. I want everything nice and straight! I may enclose the back. Not sure yet, still tossing around some ideas. The lift point for the plow was also ripped off. The pic makes it look bent but its not.

Attachments

• Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 961
  • Image00015.jpg
    Image00015.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 949
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 958

scooterd

I used aircraft stripper on the body and it worked fairly well. The interior is another story. I think its sprayed with bed liner cuz the stripper does not do a thing to it. A local guy says he'll sand blast it for 350. I think I'll let him. I'll try get a pic in the daylight. It does'nt look near as bad now!:yum:
What I really need now is the bushings for the front axle. Pedersons had all the bushings for the intermedaite axles but can't get them for the front. They are a larger bushing. If I don't find them soon, I will make them out of nylon on the turning lathe. This if the axle with the bad bushings.

Attachments

• Image00019.jpg
    Image00019.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 942

scooterd

Bob, I just got back from Fayetteville, TN with a horse trailer that we purchased on ebay. We drove 2815 miles to pick it up. I tried to talk her into going for another drive, but she just wouldn't go for it. She said "enough toys for awhile. I'm doing the kitchen." I was hopeing for another thiokol, but she shot that idea down in a hurry.:shitHitFan:

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 954

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I just got back from Fayetteville, TN with a horse trailer that we purchased on ebay. We drove 2815 miles to pick it up. I tried to talk her into going for another drive, but she just wouldn't go for it. She said "enough toys for awhile. I'm doing the kitchen." I was hopeing for another thiokol, but she shot that idea down in a hurry.:shitHitFan:

Oh well. Guess now she'll expect you to spend your time and money on something frivolous, like food, or clothes, or bills. :pat:

How many horseys fit in that trailer and how much did you pay? Any nasty surprises?

scooterd

The trailer is a three horse slant load. I've never actually measured the length, but when I step it off, I get 38 feet. It is mostly living quarters, which is what Michelle wanted. It pulls better than our 28 ft Shasta, probably because it is so low in comparison. The only surprise we found is some of the windows leak. The rubber is dried up and has shrunk quite a bit. We paid $6501 for the trailer, plus $725 to go pick it up. Have you ever seen one like it? It has a vinyl covered fiberglass top. I'll post pics of the inside later. We really like it!:thumb:

scooterd

Here is a few pics of the body after stripping twice with aircraft stripper and a high pressure wash. It was alot easier to decide what body panels need to be replaced after it was cleaned up! The shot of the door shows the black stuff the stripper would'nt touch. Anyone know who punches louvers in northern ND or MN?

Attachments

• Image00016.jpg
    Image00016.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 916
  • Image00015.jpg
    Image00015.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 913
  • Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 895
  • Image00021.jpg
    Image00021.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 890

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure what will remove the under caoting stuff? Maybe some diesel fuel? I am just cleaning mine as best as possible and then shooting a bed liner right on top of it.

scooterd

Does anyone know where I can get the weather stripping for the doors on my 1201? Uni-grip has something that is simliar, but it's a little wider. May make it difficult to close the doors. I'm reskinning most of the cab in .063 alum. The factory used .050 and .040 according to my parts manual. I'll take some more pics when it stops raining. Here is part of the chassis skin and yes, that is my air compressor in the back ground! It has a new home coming soon. Just waiting for the guys to harvest the wheat so I can move the shop across his field. Enough of this shade tree mech. stuff.:applause:

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 880

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
J.C.Whitney sent me an envelope full of different types of weatherstripping samples, each approx. 1/2 inch long. It makes it easier to actuall check clearances that to guess from specifications.

scooterd

Thanks for the compliment Sno Ops.:thumb: I'm having a great time with this project!

BullDog, I never thought about JC Whitney. I'll check that out and see what they have.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know where I can get the weather stripping for the doors on my 1201? Uni-grip has something that is simliar, but it's a little wider. May make it difficult to close the doors. I'm reskinning most of the cab in .063 alum. The factory used .050 and .040 according to my parts manual. I'll take some more pics when it stops raining. Here is part of the chassis skin and yes, that is my air compressor in the back ground! It has a new home coming soon. Just waiting for the guys to harvest the wheat so I can move the shop across his field. Enough of this shade tree mech. stuff.:applause:

Have you looked in Mcmaster Carr ?

Looking 100% better than when you started. keep up the good work......

Brad :thumb:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
cool paint..........used to have a car painted that color.........at least it was when we were done with it

I'm still amazed what 5 teenagers, an old beater car, a couple cases of beer, and about 10 or so cans of miss-matched paint can do.

scooterd

O.K. I'll take the bait! It doesn't look that way now. These are a few pictures from earlier this summer. Haven't made alot of progress lately. Most of our time has been spent at work or setting up the garage (30X30) that we moved in. The body panels were fitted and all the rivet holes were drilled. Then we removed the panels for more sand blasting and painting.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 647
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 649
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 657
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 672

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
I just picked up my 1202 from Sales Unlimited and it will also will need some panal work where did you get the rivets and how do you apply them thay seam to be a blind or aircraft type Larry

scooterd

I ordered my rivets from Kimball Midwest, but McMaster Carr also carries them. The door uses a drive rivet that you set by hitting the center pin in with a hammer. The rest of the panels are held on with solid aluminum rivets. To set these, I use an air hammer with the proper fitting rivet set (punch) and a bucking bar. The rivet set is rounded to fit the head of the rivet.
I removed the old panels and used them for patterns. I clamped the two pieces together and drilled the holes for the rivets. This worked fairly well, but make sure you mark the unneeded holes with a marker or something so you don't drill them into the new panel. To cut the panels out of the 4'X10' sheet of aluminum, I used a metal cutting blade in the jig saw. It works! Just don't get in a big hurry, and an extra set of hands helps! The long cuts were sheared at the welding shop that I purchased the aluminum from. That saved a little work but wasn't cheap either. Two 10' cuts cost 25 bucks and took about four minutes.:4_11_9: That's a hell of an hourly rate!
You will also find that the frame work for the body is not very precise. I replaced alot of the angle iron so the skin would rivet evenly on the frame work and be fairly smooth.
I hope this helps you out.

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the information on the rivets it is starting to snow at my cabin so work will have to weigh now tell spring thanks agian Larry

tinger

That is my old Spryte, I got it from Forrest Hutchinson, Duluth, MN. He picked it up from one of those MN ski hills. We did alot of trail building and jump building with that cat.

I do have a 85 Spryte full cab 300 ic auto for sale.
tinger@exconfreeride.com

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Well then, you need to post pictures, don't you!! :weneedpic

of course you need to make a few more posts before this system lets you post pictures...anti-spam and all that