• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kamala Harris still not catching on with Democratic voters in California

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kamala Harris still not catching on with Democratic voters in California
By JOHN PHILLIPS | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: May 16, 2019 at 8:29 am | UPDATED: May 16, 2019 at 8:29 am

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/...hing-on-with-democratic-voters-in-california/

There is no way Sen. Kamala Harris can win the Democratic nomination for the presidency unless she wins her home state of California. And by winning the Golden State, Harris has to do more than simply win more votes and delegates than her Democratic opponents on election day – she also has to capture the hearts, creativity and pocketbooks of big-time Democratic donors, Silicon Valley tech tycoons and Hollywood stars.

Just think of it as the Charlie Sheen colloquial definition of “winning.”

The pickle for Harris is that she’s having serious problems at home.

One glaring red flag is that Kamala has yet to get her big money donors to stop cheating on her with other candidates.

Just last week former Vice President Joe Biden spent two days raising money and pressing the flesh in California. Because he’s Joe Biden I assume he’s also been smelling the hair and massaging the necks.

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg recently made his fifth trip to California, where he hosted sold-out fundraisers at the Abbey nightclub in West Hollywood, the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco and Gwyneth Paltrow’s home in Los Angeles, among others.

Based on the positive reaction from those in attendance, it looks like he charmed the pants off them – and that’s something the Abbey doesn’t usually allow until after 11 p.m.

Long-time Democratic strategist Garry South, who is not affiliated with any campaign, told Politico that all of this indicates that California is not Kamala Country. “I think the amazing thing is that nobody is ceding California to Kamala Harris … no one is abandoning California to the native daughter – which tells you something…Why would he [Mayor Buttigieg] come out here and spend four days if he thought she had California locked up?“

California’s junior senator is also having trouble securing the endorsements of the state’s top politicians.

In fact, Sen. Dianne Feinstein has already publicly thrown her support to former VP Joe Biden, telling the Washington Examiner, “I love Kamala, I appreciate her … but that’s what I’m going to do. I feel very loyal to him.”

When asked in January by the Los Angeles Times if she would support a Harris bid for the presidency, Feinstein said, “She’s brand-new here … It takes a little bit of time to get to know somebody.”

Sounds like a hard pass to me.

Feinstein’s displeasure with Harris goes all the way back to her days in San Francisco. When then-District Attorney Harris announced in 2004 that she wouldn’t seek the death penalty for a convicted cop killer, Feinstein essentially told her to drop dead.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has also refused to endorse Harris’ candidacy. When asked about it by Politico, Garcetti said, “I love Kamala Harris, she’s a dear friend.’’ But he was quick to note that Buttigieg “is one of my closest mayor friends.”

If my politician-to-English decoder ring still works, “she’s a dear friend” translates to “no way, José.”

Another challenge for Kamala is that she’s polling poorly with non-white voters.

According to the most recent CNN survey of Democratic primary voters, Harris is only netting 4 percent of the non-white vote, compared to 50 percent for Biden and 14 percent for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. At 4 percent, Harris, who’s bi-racial, is polling two points behind some candidate named “Undecided.” In a state as racially diverse as California, numbers like that should sound serious alarm bells.

Last but not least, California presidential primaries have not always been good to home state Democrats.

Former Gov. Jerry Brown put his name on three Democratic presidential primary ballots in California; 1976, 1980 and 1992. When the dust settled, Brown was only fully successful in his native state once – in 1976.

Kamala Harris is clearly looking for California home cooking, but in reality, she might already be cooked.

John Phillips can be heard weekdays at 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. on “The Morning Drive with John Phillips and Jillian Barberie” on KABC/AM 790.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., speaks to members of the media at her alma mater, Howard University, Monday, Jan. 21, 2019 in Washington, following her announcement earlier in the morning that she will run for president. Harris, a first-term senator and former California attorney general known for her rigorous questioning of President Donald Trump’s nominees, entered the Democratic presidential race on Monday. Vowing to “bring our voices together,” Harris would be the first woman to hold the presidency and the second African-American if she succeeds. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Attachments

• 4F2B59B9-AB6D-462A-BFB7-FBD5F64B0EE5.jpeg
    4F2B59B9-AB6D-462A-BFB7-FBD5F64B0EE5.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 15