• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow camping Essentials

vintagebike

In planning for the overnight Snow Cat adventure for McCall in 2020 I would like to get some tips on what an experienced winter camper would have onboard...for emergencies and for fun. :idea::idea::idea: McCall Crew

alryA

So you have no winter camping experience?? We would you be sleeping? I'd suggest going towards spring, when there is much more daylight.

vintagebike

Glamping and camping both welcome. We’re thinking of the trailer/ski version too. Anybody familiar with Oliver Trailers?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
In planning for the overnight Snow Cat adventure for McCall in 2020 I would like to get some tips on what an experienced winter camper would have onboard...for emergencies and for fun. :idea::idea::idea: McCall Crew

I think Nixon would be the guy to talk to about that there are many utube videos of him doing it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
On that note, I love the military sleeping bag I bought this winter. It's a summer bag inside a winter bag topped with a bivy outer layer that you can technically sleep outside at -50 with. I used it at the last winter camp where we slept in a log cabin at -25. Last weekend I used the inner layer to sleep in when I traveled to my rental house. Today, I'm at a spring camp with the scouts. I'll be using it again. Probably just one layer though.

Canadian eh!!!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
A few thoughts...

Well there are three versions (and several sub variants of those 3).
Version 1: Miserable, dangerous. Barely functional.
Version 2: Arctic explorer where the campers use arctic bags and such to be safe, warm, comfortable. Not much frills

Version 3 where you have shelter that a cheap bag would work well. Prepared with comfort items

I use version 3 tents with version 2 bags. That way I have some redundancy. If I'm snow camping I want to be comfortable. I use a 3 inch self inflating pad on a cot with a -35 bag that mostly is a comforter in use. The tent is heated 2 ways. Mild temp (0 to 40 F) I use a tent rated propane heater. It has a low oxygen cutoff. The advantage of it is a two level constant heat. The low kept the temp with 20 outside about 62 inside. (I have redundant co and oxy monitors in the tent)

For low temp or when I want hot water I use the wood stove but it is much harder to keep regulated without waking frequently.

For real snowcamping I think hard floors is nearly a must. This last camp I used 3/8" plywood 1/4 sheets I will be building custom floors before next season.

If it is projected to be windy, I build a stem wall around 3 sides of the tent with snow blocks.

Having a poop plan is a must. If deep snow trying to dig a latrine is futile. I use a 5 gal bucket and garbage bag liners. Since I have the vestibule on the tent I leave it there. Before the current tent, I had a tarp shelter for it.

Cooking area needs to be sheltered, and I like having a piece of plywood to stand on in front of the stove. If it is really cold I have found that either an enclosed cook area or a hood for the stove can be a requirement to keep the heat in.

Having a good fire is a requirement. I prefer to use a bed of 6-8" logs side by side that I build the fire on. Since I have a trailer, it would make sense to have a big fire pan, but I haven't yet. I always plan on bringing the wood with me. If I can local gather so much the better, but I don't plan on it. I will admit that I prefer a smaller fire, and sitting close than a huge fire and sitting far away.

If using large propane tanks cover so they can't get snow/rain on. the top of the tank in use will be very cold, so you can wind up with a 3inch solid ice cap if not careful. That will have an effect on valves, connections that need to be worked on.

Remember if using snow for water you have to treat it like any wild water boil for at least 5 minutes if you are going to consume it. OR use it to wash dishes, pots, or pans. Maybe the risk is slight, but getting beaver fever in the outback isn't fun for anyone in the party.

Mostly having a positive attitude is a mandatory requirement.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
If a big group is planned, I would lean to a big common tent for cooking/eating /bs sessions. couple good heaters to keep it comfortable while occupied.

It might only be a cheap pop-up with side curtains. or 3 sides with the open side to the fire.

Also I prefer a multinight camp over a set and strike each day. unless it is a trail ride etc.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think that Tucker Bus will fit the whole gang...living room, bunk house, kitchen- all in one rig

A roof top tent is mandatory, else you even overlanding Bruh...?!!

oh wait, those are the mall crawler 4x4 jeep crowd.....

:th_lmao:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Squirels are the best winter campers....... they build a Wikiup, which are quite effective. Snow trenches are also effective. Igloos although effective are very time consuming and hard to build alone. (If you do build one, build a small fire to glaze the inside and make sure you leave a small vent hole.)If you have the convenience of a snowcat with a blade, building a snow structure it’s very easy. And if you bring 2” rigid insulation even easier. It also is nice to place underneath your sleeping bag on your sleeping shelf in your snow structure.

Snow is very good insulation,a candle along with body heat will get the inside
Very comfortable. always leave a vent hole about 3” and if possible build a raised sleeping area at -30F in a small well built snow structure it can be above freezing inside. even warmer with a small heat source like a candle or fire heated rocks for the night.

The pop up ice fishing tents make very nice winter tents.... quick and easy to set up!

vintagebike

Just for PP Glamping.
1F72FFAB-7CA7-4846-9E6B-E89AB06A510B.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squirels are the best winter campers....... they build a Wikiup, which are quite effective. Snow trenches are also effective. Igloos although effective are very time consuming and hard to build alone. (If you do build one, build a small fire to glaze the inside and make sure you leave a small vent hole.)If you have the convenience of a snowcat with a blade, building a snow structure it’s very easy. And if you bring 2” rigid insulation even easier. It also is nice to place underneath your sleeping bag on your sleeping shelf in your snow structure.

Snow is very good insulation,a candle along with body heat will get the inside
Very comfortable. always leave a vent hole about 3” and if possible build a raised sleeping area at -30F in a small well built snow structure it can be above freezing inside. even warmer with a small heat source like a candle or fire heated rocks for the night.

The pop up ice fishing tents make very nice winter tents.... quick and easy to set up!

I'm with MNoutdoors, Igloo is a cool way to go.

Attachments

• Igloo 1977  1.jpg
    Igloo 1977 1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Igloo 1977.jpg
    Igloo 1977.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 230

mikemikelle

When I go out in winter for at least 4 nights, this is camp. 1hr to set up, and a bit to haul, so not for overnighters.

Comes complete with a full 90ml pvc floor (and a curb/drain for the indoor shower/dish washing), wood stove, and a disco ball!

+5 deg F outside, 80 deg F inside. Our forefathers understood the insulating capabilities of a canvas wall tent for winter mountain living.

This will be smoked, though, by the Yupers on here who whitetail hunt..they'll have hardwoods, pay per view, and a couch!

20151128_152425.jpg20151130_181719.jpg20151127_101525.jpg20151128_112909.jpg20151127_100812.jpg

Attachments

• 20160916_113723.jpg
    20160916_113723.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 20160916_113522.jpg
    20160916_113522.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160910_184131.jpg
    20160910_184131.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160922_213145.jpg
    20160922_213145.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20160916_113513.jpg
    20160916_113513.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 20160911_210958.jpg
    20160911_210958.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 20151127_100821.jpg
    20151127_100821.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 233

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Perfect.

absolutely perfect.

given the weather at the midwest clowder, we were going to cat a rig like that out in the forest and set it up ahead. Now after seeing one set up...

yep that will be a cool way to go.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was afraid you wood call it some kinda restroom.

Well, since you bring it up. Technically if you sleep there it makes it a restroom :bolt:
And the men eskimos had it pretty figured out as to where they placed the vent hole.it’s easier then putting on the mukluks in the middle of the night.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
food, h2o, pals, snow gear, fuel, tunes-- bring a sweater, too, a hoodie & cough drops; it's kinda easy-- 'lil Pittsburgher has gone camping, gone on various ways; just use your mind; you'll get by--

Last edited:

vintagebike

Going forward with the planning for McCallin’ All Cats 2020 “Freezing Man” Snow Camping Adventure Friday February 21, overnight to Saturday, maybe overnight Saturday to Sunday. Likely way up in the Wellington Snow Park backcountry where we had so much fun at Tripod Meadow last year.E8F672FB-07FB-4572-B826-829709DFDD1A.jpeg

Last edited: