• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pit Bull vs. Porcupine

Bamby

Pit-bull decided he would battle a Porcupine in back of his house in Southern California .

But being both brave and stupid, he ultimately learned the hard way that he can't always win.

pit bull 1.jpg

pit bull 2.jpg

A vet sedated the dog, and then removed a total of 1,347 quills.

The dog survived, and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

Now tell me you had a bad day!!!

Snopes Fact Check

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would like to see the porcupine as it was probably pretty bare. I don't think I ever saw a bare porcupine before.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's rough. I pulled around ~30 quills out of my weim/lab's mouth once. It was a battle. No sedation or anything but he would have screwed himself up worse if I tried to take him anywhere. They were through his gums completely. He still managed to have two more porcupine encounters although they weren't as bad.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a lab and thought they where pretty smart for a dog. Now no where near as smart as my Jack Russel but still not very dumb either. I will also bet the pit didn't learn anything and will wind up doing it again also. Though breed just not very bright.

Lia

Banned
OMG!! The poor thing! How dreadful. But, you know, I was thinking the very same thought as you, thecri; that Porcupine must be bald.

I wonder, does it hurt a Porcupine to lose it's quills? And, will they grow back again...

joec, I think you're right to a certain extent about breeds and intelligence. I've had dogs all my life, and yes, it does depend on the breed, but some really surprise one. I've had dogs before that were as dumb as rocks. A Collie that was almost human in it's understanding and accomplishments, and currently have a Poodle that is scary in her uncanny knowledge of what my moods are, or what I require of her. She truly does read my mind, no easy task let me assure you, since I ain't got a clue myself. :biggrin:

I've have also got two Lab/Ret's, and let's just say that I'd back the garden gatepost before either of them in an intelligence test.

Lia

Banned
Cautiously saying hello to a Hedgehog that turned up on the lawn...

Attachments

• 100_3927.jpg
    100_3927.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 140

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got to hold a baby hedgehog once, neat little animals. I've never seen on in the wild, don't even know where they live (I presume in hedges ... but I mean in what climate or region) I've never heard of them here in the midwest so I presume we don't have them here.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
OMG!! The poor thing! How dreadful. But, you know, I was thinking the very same thought as you, thecri; that Porcupine must be bald.

It was prob a gang of rouge Pork's that the dog ran accross. Bet he figures he showed them!

When I took my Britney in after a smaller version of such an encounter, there was another photo of a Pitbull that looked almost the same, not a clue to how it didn't get blinded...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw that picture a couple of years ago and I can't recall if I read if the dog lost it's eyes or not. The quills are barbed all over and continue to work their way in. Brutal.

Of all the dogs we have, hands down, the lab is the dumbest animal I've ever been around. Friendly, yes. Even remotely intelligent, no! I've trained dozens of dogs over the years. Dalmatians are pretty stupid and Chows are something like 10X more likely to bite than any other breed. For that reason, I regard them as stupid as well. Who wants a pet that very likely will turn on the owner or the owner's child, let alone a neighbor.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Try disciplining a Rottweiler who perceives somebody else as the alpha. Talk about a battle of wills!