• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hatz silent pack 2L41C diesel engine

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a chance to buy a used one of these engines for a reasonable amount. I am interested in mounting it with a 12K generator set on a mobile trailer for what ever the needs we might have.

It is missing the control panel that is part of the operating system. I believe this will not be an issue, as they are sold as a separate assembly..

Are they worth the effort? The price of a new one is way high... I have no experience with these, and the dealer is an hour and a half away from here.. I have heard they are great little diesels, and will run many thousands of hours if cared for. Just wondering if any members here have any experience good or bad with these engines..

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have any personal experience but 'way back during Y2K a rancher friend bought a generator from Northern Tool that had a Hatz diesel engine. I'm pretty sure that Norther Tool doesn't sell that model any more. It was probably smaller than the one you are looking at as the generator was around 6 kW. He still has it and it is still running perfectly as far as I know. His only complaint was that it was on the noisy side but it just ran and ran. He mounted it on a trailer and used it for power outages and to supply power when he was working around the place.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My main reason for wanting this engine is that it is a diesel.. No more rotten gas from sitting idle, as gasoline fired gen sets often experience.. No more ignition system, or spark plugs to deal with either..

The silent pack part of this engine is an enclosure that surrounds the entire engine. Supposedly this engine is a 90db peak sound maker... I think new it is around $7K, quite a lot for a 30hp engine. It weighs in at about 700lb of cast iron.

I will be finding out how much a control panel for it will cost, and decide if it makes sense to convert to this engine for portable power.

http://www.hatz-diesel.com/en/products/diesel-engines/l-series/2l41c/

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My main reason for wanting this engine is that it is a diesel.. No more rotten gas from sitting idle, as gasoline fired gen sets often experience.. No more ignition system, or spark plugs to deal with either..
http://www.hatz-diesel.com/en/products/diesel-engines/l-series/2l41c/

Regards, Kirk

I can understand that. I would love a diesel powered generator for the same reasons. Even after double dosing gasoline with Stab-il it is still a pain to keep track of purchase dates and the rotation. I would still love a whole house, natural gas generator but I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger.

Leadejon

GOLD Site Supporter
I got a few of them haven't used them but have had one running, if your handy you don't Need the control panel. Theirs a mechanical lever on the fuel rack for shutdown. Be handy that dont have to worry about a cooling system. I have unit fuel pump issues on one cylinder, runs nice on other two cylinders. seems like a good starting smooth running quiet diesel. pretty simple once dig into it.