• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

synthetic atf in hydrostatic cat

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
factory in 2004 called for atf type 2 or 3.
so I talked to factory technician and he seems to think if I go with a good synthetic atf I can skip oil changes in my hydrostatic drive cat because 35hrs is all I put on it last season. I don't see the hours changing much .
what do you think?
I am figuring about 5 gallons to fill.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would try Royal Purple in it if it were mine. Impressive stuff. Usaually lowers oil temps in a hydro drive system...

Not cheap, but is anything that is good?

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
bp autrans will also work well it will extend allisons commercial warranty another 3 years

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
do you get sludge from synthetic oil in an engine? at a shop the other day they said to use synthetic because turbos didn't like sludge.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim sludge comes from breaking down. the synthetic oils are less likely to break down. amz oil sells a bypass oil filter (aka lube refiner) that will remove ash build up amzoil advertises a 100k oil change with that system. I have been running synthetic in my 6 b cummins for years, and with very abusive treatment I'm at over 300k with the original turbo from 1989.

willd

My worry would be water contamination. If it sits outside a lot, then the air in the case will eventually get condensation in it. If you don't put enough work on it to burn that water out of there, you can count on corrosion. I know some synthetics are almost water proof, but that doesn't mean much when you have a 10K$ bill to go with your $100 oil savings.