• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting. Brush or roller?

Bannedjoe

My wife loves to paint.
I guess at some point before we met she painted houses.
She likes doing it, but between you and I, she isn't all that great.
She's way less messy at it than I, so there's that, but here's the rub.

She doesn't believe in rollers.

Me, I'll cut out what needs to be cut out with a brush, then it's roller time.
She on the other hand, insists on doing the whole job with a brush.
She'll paint the whole outside of a house by hand, with a brush.
A brush I tells ya!

There's over 1200 sqft on the addition to paint.
There's going to be one coat of primer, one coat of paint, then there'll be her decorative detail.

I came home today from a day motorcycle trip, and she has her wrist and arm wrapped with an ace bandage.

I'm not gonna fight her about it, but it boggles my mind.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Joe, I'm with you. My wife thinks that she is a much better painter that I am but, truth be told, she isn't. She also uses a brush for everything.

Now I have the utmost patience when painting, up to a point. I will tape and cut everything in with a small bush but once that is done it's time for the roller. Life is too short to be applying two or even three coats with a brush when one with a roller will suffice.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've done a Lot of painting. Houses with clapboard siding just don't work with rollers very well and even if you can get some of the paint on with a roller, every inside corner/edge needs to be done with a brush.
Worst part is sanding clapboards..

I've also done 40 foot boats that are expected to be very shiny and brush mark free so it's special expensive paint and sprayed by the pros but can also be done by rolling it on and brushing out to get rid of air bubbles. Brush is also expensive...

As long as you don't have to do it, don't whine :) If she wants to do it.... maybe try the other hand for a while LOL

Bannedjoe

Joe, I'm with you. My wife thinks that she is a much better painter that I am but, truth be told, she isn't. She also uses a brush for everything.

Now I have the utmost patience when painting, up to a point. I will tape and cut everything in with a small bush but once that is done it's time for the roller. Life is too short to be applying two or even three coats with a brush when one with a roller will suffice.
Thank you.
As long as you don't have to do it, don't whine :) If she wants to do it.... maybe try the other hand for a while LOL
I'm not really whining, I'm just fine with letting her do it, but oddly enough, one of her mottos is to work smarter, not harder.
But she swears up and down that there's a 20% waste factor when rolling or spraying.