• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Melen beat her coach in Epee!!! (Fencing)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok it was an absolute fluke. My 13 year old daughter beat her coach for the first time while fencing Epee. She somehow scored 2 touches in a row and was leading 2 - 0. The referee and the spectators were pretty much shocked. The coach is a good guy but a sore looser, the ref turned to him and jokingly made a comment about how the next 5 touches should be his and the score will probably end up 5 - 2. Everyone chuckled and the match continued.

The next score was a double touch, the score now sat at 3 -1. Nobody thought anything of the fact that Melen was leading, until the next touch. Another double touch. So now Melen is leading 4 - 2 in a match that ends at 5 touches.

OK now everyone in the fencing club is watching. The referee makes a comment to Melen that her entire life should be flashing before her eyes, that there is no pressure on her at all, and then steps back. In a flash of action there is another double touch and Melen wins 5 - 3. I clap, very inappropriately. The entire club falls silent. Melen "yips" in an "uh-oh" sort of way. This was only a practice match, didn't count for anything real, but it was a milestone for Melen. Mark, the coach, took it better than most seemed to think he would. Epee is not Melen's main sport, she fences Saber most of the time and Epee is totally different in how scores are made. Anyway, it was all great fun for Melen.

FYI, the 'touches' were scored on an electronic scoring system, double touches are allowed in Epee and electronically locked out if they are not simultaneous touches. Single 'touches' cause the scoring system to lock out the opponents blade and prevent it from scoring a touch if they are not simultaneous. Below are photos from her practice session not that match, taken with a crappy camera phone.​

Attachments

• 197806629125_0_0.jpg
    197806629125_0_0.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 197806705413_0_0.jpg
    197806705413_0_0.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 197806730245_0_0.jpg
    197806730245_0_0.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 197806741509_0_0.jpg
    197806741509_0_0.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 84

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to Melen Bob. She looks very tall in that get up. My how they grow. I remember when you pictured her sitting in front of your FEL for the curved loader arm thread.