• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

tree damage

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm sure i'm not the only one that has this .
I buy a live potted tree every year for chirstmas and plant it afterwards. this is one from a few years back that an elk got lastnight. it is about 12ft tall. the ones in the back are some that survived.
notice the cone on it. I run a wire infront during the summer to keep the dairy cows from it.
DSC01029.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I planted 24 white pines a few yeas ago. Big twelve point buck took most of them down. My neighbor promised to kill it but so far has failed.

I was at the property last fall, about five of them remain and they are yuge!

No sign of the deer

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm sure i'm not the only one that has this .
I buy a live potted tree every year for chirstmas and plant it afterwards. this is one from a few years back that an elk got lastnight. it is about 12ft tall. the ones in the back are some that survived.
notice the cone on it. I run a wire infront during the summer to keep the dairy cows from it.
DSC01029.jpg

I destroy a tree every year in a crowded patch of naturally occuring spruce in a chunk of property I have. I stand on the roof of the cat and whack off the top hoping it misses the windshield....:th_lmao:

They usually sprout a new lead and keep growing.....

While they regroup, the forest floor gets some light is my thought.

I absolutely love the potted plant idea, I am going to employ this here at dysfunction junction.

Thanks for sharing......

Attachments

• 20191224_100536.jpg
    20191224_100536.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 210

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was told to take a close branch and bend it up and it will grow.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was told to take a close branch and bend it up and it will grow.

they figure it out, the trick is to cut off the other guys that turn up as well.

I did not do that years back and now there is a drag race going on. the race is happening on what we call apple trees, they don't go up they go out.....
Apple pople

Apple spruce

apple maple ect.....

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
My parents have done the potted X-mas tree deal for years and now have a great windbreak around their home, to the point that they have had to thin some out, real forest in the desolate Washington basin.

Bamby

This has been a ongoing issue here with whitetail deer for a long time. If and when I plant anything I also put a fence around it. I use concrete reinforcement wire panels to make them up. Once the tree is planted and watered in place the panel around it and tie the ends together and you now have a cage protecting you plants.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use steel fence posts. 3 or 4 around the base.our elk don't rub on steel. above that still gets it.