• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chimney reinstall

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
When we moved in to the new house, we had a home inspection done. One of the things that was pointed out was the chimney on the garage wasn't installed correctly. We got that problem fixed this week.

First, here's how the chimney was installed. The issue is that it went to the peak then they had a 45 degree elbow to get it out past the peak of the roof.

The second issue was that it didn't extend at least 6 feet past the roof line.
59a6f57d37838e72bedeee7601405ee3.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How do we fix this? I hired a local wood burner shop to come out and remove the top sections of the chimney. They came out last Monday to start but quickly realized a couple of ladders weren't enough to get it done safely.
e9c3f915591ef1d432dc4667aab6f238.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
They returned on Saturday with scaffolding to be able to get up there without falling. The second section of pipe was removed to allow them to cut a hole through the peak. Once this was done, they installed a metal flashing cone and installed the remaining chimney sections and bracing to support it.
f1418b909c9068e0a6478c574c15dfa9.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks much better but myself, I prefer the piping stays inside the building until it exits the roof. When it's 0° outside and you're trying to start a fire, that pipe is going to be really cold so it'll be hard to get a "draft" going to pull the air up the chimney. How's your experience been so far?

BTW - How hot does that exterior pipe get when the wood burner is running?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had it fired up this morning. It seems to draw alright. The chimney is cool enough to touch outside. Here's the woodstove setup inside. I prefer the pipe inside as well but as the garage is 2 stories with the second floor being already dry walled and primed, I didn't want to get into running it through the second story floor and ceiling. Right now the second floor is just storage but eventually it'll be my man cave. The stove is a bit small for that size garage. Sitting beside it is a wood burning forced air furnace waiting to be installed. That'll require all the ductwork to be installed.
c288b457787d95eed959fafab373e7eb.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Part 2 of the woodstove ordeal. I removed the wood pile and woodstove. Then built a platform that will raise the woodstove up off the floor 6 inches.
5fea0d85383963cd400cd871a153c40b.jpg
6dd3e4003548cf893d58241551890cc4.jpg
3b5aeb104bde531f5b99f73d25397990.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
All this for insurance purposes as the base of the firebox has to be 18 inches above the floor. They also want 2 safety bollards (posts) installed to prevent a vehicle from crashing into the stove

Bamby

Don't see a draft damper on the pipe above the stove. I wouldn't run that unit without one.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The stove has a built in damper but it doesn't work as well as a flu damper so I picked one up this morning. I hadn't screwed everything together yet so it'll be an easy addition.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All this for insurance purposes as the base of the firebox has to be 18 inches above the floor. They also want 2 safety bollards (posts) installed to prevent a vehicle from crashing into the stove
At least you can install a wood burner in a garage. Insurance companies around here don't allow them.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, they kind of frown on woodstoves in garages here too but if you follow all the bs rules you can do it. My only other option that's feasible is electric. I could do gas too but I'd have to run a 300 ft gas line out to the garage from the house underground. I may eventually do that.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have always stayed to code when insuring. just incase of a large claim. although some of it seems way overkill.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The safety bollards came in yesterday. I rented a power hammer drill and concrete bit from home depot and drilled half inch holes into the floor to screw in the concrete lag bolts.
e7ea935a4d16d4260f959a27ce7fda1e.jpg

No clue why the pictures are now posting sideways. They appear straight when I put them up.