• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Towing Capacity

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but what do you guys know about "rated towing capacity" for a Toyota Tacoma? Or any truck for that matter.

The truck is rated to tow 5000#.

The tractor being towed is 3170#, plus fuel so 3225#. Box blade is 525#, tiller is 500#. So tractor & implements are 4250#. Trailer is a 14' dual axle. Call it 1400#. Total load ~ 5650#.

I don't own this, I am not towing it.

The owner claims that there is a 40% safety factor built into most tow vehicles?
:eek: He said that is what he was told by the trailer supply guy. :yum:I think he will end up burning his brakes and replacing a transmission.

Thoughts?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Brakes, tranny, rear end, cooling system, but most importantly:

VOIDED WARRANTY

Why do people keep buying these little trucks (yes, they are.) and expecting them to act like a HD 1 ton? If you need a real truck, get one. If you are just getting it for 4x4 grocery grabbing then one of these would be fine.

:blahblah: :whistle: :blahblah: :whistle: :blahblah: :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll admit to overloading on a couple occasions...

I would propose he make 2 trips if he could. One with tractor only, the 2nd with the implements.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Even with the crappy ride characteristics of a 3/4 or 1 ton, I would never go back to a 1/2 ton truck for hauling and towing. The only decent ride I get with my larger capacity truck is when its loaded. It is just not safe trying to tow more than the rated capacity. I actually think for many road conditions (mtns) they over rate the small trucks anyway. Our elevation changes from 4000ft to 9500ft in about 20 miles and the small vehicles towing trailers and the large motorhomes are always broke down along the road. If you want a decent ride and fuel economy buy a car.....