• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Report Your Snow Depth

snowbird

Recently got about 6 inches on top of a few inches earlier. Finally can go out and play in the snow a little here in SE Minnesota.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
12" of wet snow over the last three days on top of the 6 inches we already had. Tustin Michigan. Just below your ring finger on the palm of your right hand.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie....you guys must be getting the same storm as us. I'm Northeast of you and all the reports I've seen say that this storm came up from the southwest. It was supposed to hit us hard yesterday into today and tapper off tomorrow but it held off till tonight. Started snowing around 7pm tonight and so far, we've got colse to 10 inches. It was originally suppused to be 5" yesterday and another 10-15 today. Looks like it was a day late.

Took a drive to the city(3hr drive) last night to do some last minute chrismas shopping and just got back 20 minutes before it started coming down hard. Roads are being closed due to white out conditions.

mtmogs

Merry Christmas All. We passed the 3' mark earlier today and it's still snowing heavily. Nothing but snow in the forecast for the next 5 days too. I've been hauling hay out to the horses on the neighbor's ranch using the ST4 but haven't had time for pleasure cruising yet. I think I'm going to have to remove the fan shroud and clean out all the hay and alfalfa that was sucked in there. I can smell it roasting on the cylinder heads. Smells kind of good actually.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 204

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Beautiful Picture! Last night a storm started to blow in with 80 mph gusts all night. Then at about 5 am it started to snow. We now have 2' as of this afternoon and another storm is coming in tonight. Merry Chrsitmas.

kitimatdude

Got just over a foot here. its been cold enough for weeks we finally got snow on Chritmas eve. Its all powder so i'm not sure if I want to take my nodwell out on it yet. I'll wait until it packs up a bit.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
We still had snow when I went to bed Thursday night, but a chinook wind came through and the snow was all gone by morning. (it was 60 or so yesterday.)
the thunderstorms started about 12:30 this morning when I went to bed and it turned into freezing rain about sunrise.
Really, really pretty out there right now, but I'm not planning on going past the front gates until the roads have a bit more of a chance to lose their glaze.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I HATE black ice! Sorry to hear about all the freezing rain you guys have been getting. Seems to me to be worse this year than it was last.

mtmogs

Lots! With more on the way. Wish I could find time to recreate in it instead of just moving it around.

Attachments

• snowatnight.jpg
    snowatnight.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 319

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, your yellow lawn art is buried under snow. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, heard on TV tonight that the GNP glaciers will be gone by 2020. Noticed it getting warmer up there?

mtmogs

Hey, your yellow lawn art is buried under snow. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, heard on TV tonight that the GNP glaciers will be gone by 2020. Noticed it getting warmer up there?

Lawn Art? That's your specialty not mine :whistling: I'm not a lawn art aficionado, but if this is lawn art, one would have to classify it as kinematic lawn art as opposed to stationary lawn art so often expressed as unmoving, faded-orange fiberglass bathtubs:poke:

You may be unaccustomed to the native environment of the snowcat: snow on top, sides, and underneath. What you see here is the prior day's snow on top. This can happen if you live where it snows a lot.

I'm not old enough for my bones to tell the weather, but the glaciers in GNP are going bye-bye:

Attachments

• bye-bye.jpg
    bye-bye.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 313

weatherby

We have about 30,to 38 inches. lot's of fun on snowmobiles, wish the 601 was finished. This lake freighter was anchored just off shore all day today 1-5-09 along with others because of a freezing spray warning.

Attachments

• 005 (2).JPG
    005 (2).JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 291
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 297

Catless

So:

Is it the end of the Pleistocene or the beginning of Al Gore (a new geologic era)? What about the Milankovitch Cycles?

grd

mtmogs

So:

Is it the end of the Pleistocene or the beginning of Al Gore (a new geologic era)? What about the Milankovitch Cycles?

grd

Well, considering that the Pleistocene ended 10,000 years ago, I'm pretty sure it's not that. We're presently in an interglacial period, and likely have another 20,000 years to the next ice age based on the 40k to 100k year glacial cycles seen in the Pleistocene.

The Milankovitch cycles show good agreement with these glacial cycles but it's not a perfect fit. Anyway, we hit maximum incident solar radiation about 9000 years ago at the end of the last ice age, and are receiving less insolation now...yet it's getting warmer.

Catless

MTMOGS:

I agree with you that all geologic textbooks say that the Pleistocene ended 10,000 years BP. That very well may end up being the permanent "line in the sand". Having said this, I know that you are aware that the entire Quaternary Period is presently in question by the International Commission on Stratigraphy. I'm not sure what Sir Charles Lyell had in mind when he named the Pleistocene in 1839. For the end date (10,000 yBP) did he intend to mark the end (the beginning of retreat?) of the last Ice sheets on the various continents (Wisconsinan in N America, Weichselian in N. Europe, etc)? I have read he intended to only mark the Epoch where glacial deposits formed and were left behind for us to study. This would include all of the known glacial/interglacial episodes (with more yet to come?). It seems that many are presently disputing the beginning of the Pleistocene and would like to move it's start date back a little further lopping off a bit of the Pliocene.......

Our science is young and things are still changing. It's only been 225 years since James Hutton presented his Theory of the Earth in 1785 and 208 years since William Smith presented his famous geologic map of Englan/Wales/etc.

It's a campfire argument.

Sorry, I should have referenced the end of the Little Ice Age!

grd

moosebgy

So far this winter Valdez recorded total snow is 240 inches in town and at Thompson Pass recorded total snow is 340 inches. Just a average winter.

bill w

almost three ft on the ground....still very much winter here....- 45 degree wind chill outside....nice and warm in here ,,,,,but i want to be out there..crazy huh??set up for anything...up to -45 without wind......wanna go????looking for plans...bill w

Sylvia Tunaskas

Shoveled 4' off Cabin deck on 3/19, 2' more on 3/26, and supposed to get another 2' this weekend. Spring is here but we do not know it. Learning how to use the blade, but have a long way to go to master it! Any tips would help. Do not have a drag, just a 10' 6way on a LMC 1200. Is there an easy way to get rid of the "whoopdedoos" with out a drag? Thanks.

srexecmark

Same deal at my place. It is like we are getting our lost February. As far as the Humpty-Dumpty's, I have built a 15'x8' wood drag with a blade in the middle that takes the tops off the bumps. The problem is that the snow has to be fresh or soft for the blade to work well. I have a big blade on the front of my Tucker that I work up and down to also fill some of the bigger dips. I think I am about done with Winter and am looking forward to the Spring.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Shoveled 4' off Cabin deck on 3/19, 2' more on 3/26, and supposed to get another 2' this weekend. Spring is here but we do not know it. Learning how to use the blade, but have a long way to go to master it! Any tips would help. Do not have a drag, just a 10' 6way on a LMC 1200. Is there an easy way to get rid of the "whoopdedoos" with out a drag? Thanks.

You can knock the tops off with a blade but a drag to smooth out the trail works the best. If you have not already seen what I just purchased to solve the same problems check out my SV200 combo unit thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=25728

I have used a blade but in the past but it is just too slow and inefficient if you have miles of trail to smooth out.............

Sylvia Tunaskas

Pretty neat set ups, and they work well. Unfortunately I have a full cab and no rear hydraulics. Looks like I will have to stock up on my favorite beverage and take my time. It seems like the float mode on the blade and reverse do the best job. ( It also fits my Greek Heritage) Thanks for the tips.

Kwiens

Well, I spent the day clearing 20 inches of snow and snow pellets from my driveway and lane!!!!......
faint.gif
We had drifts 5 feet tall also. I also helped the neighbors clear their driveways.

This was the heaviest and wettest snow I've every seen. I have some pictures but I'm too tired to load them tonight. Our daughter and son-in-law were in Vegas this week for "spring break" and their plane arrived in Wichita @ 12:30 am this morning (Saturday) in the blizzard. I had hoped they would have cancelled the flight when they were in Phoenix. They arrived home @ 4am and their car got stuck four times on the way home, the last time they were only 3 houses down from their home. The drive from Wichita to Hutch normally takes only an hour.

Looks like we won't have Sand Hill Plums this year; they and the pear trees were in full bloom.

I hope to be able to load the pictures tomorrow morning, almost all church services have been cancelled.

I know, this isn't anything like the snow up in Canada!!!......but for around here it's a pretty major deal.

K
biggrin.gif

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does Volcanic ash count? We got a bit of that. Our Forums Fourm member that lives in Valdez is probably always going to set the high bar when it comes to real snow. Valdez records annual snow falls in excess of 20 Feet, and has a record snow fall of just shy of 50 feet, something like 47 feet. They don't measure in inches there, it's feet. One year, while working on the pipeline, we had a 5' storm, followed by a 4' storm, then another 5' storm, all in just 3 days, 14 feet! About ever 4th house in Valdez has a modified bobcat, that has a snow blower on long arms in the driveway. (this part could be an exaduration!)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Lyndon, you are getting the ash from the volcano up there?

The photos I've seen don't make it look like the ash is very deep, more of a coating of ash over the snow. Maybe an inch of ash? At least that is based on the media pictures. I haven't seen any reports saying that anyplace is actually blanketed with anything deep.