• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980s Cushman Trackster

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So almost done - took the Cushman over to an exhaust shop, having the guy make me some new headers as well, since the old ones got a leak in them and just didnt look a whole lot presentable.

Now, lets speak about the hydrostatic part of things... if anyone got certain experience on that part - speak up... Need some advise..

SANDSTRON 15 HYDROSTAT (I think I'm spelling the name correctly)...

Once I pulled the tranny out, had pretty much drained all of the fluild out of it, since I had it somewhat apart - replaced all new cork gaskets, o-rings, and outer seals all around. New filters where put on...

Per manual - I needed to put in 7qts of Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-F (in my case we dont get a whole lot below 0F degrees, thus that was the choice in fluid).

With fluid in place, I've ran the engine -/+ idle speeds for 3 minutes (as manual says), checked the fluid level - seemed fine to me - than started it up again and tried moving the joystick -

No response what so ever... nothing going on in the transmission...

Ended up going in to make sure everything was tight, removed the heat exchanger, and found that to be empty completely, thus fluid never got into it (keep in mind that this was all working prior to replacements of seals, etc., and draining of the fluids).

Guy by the name Charlie (whom sold me the tracks) said to use a "drill pump" to get the fluid up into the heat exchanger, in order to get rid of an air pocket... sound about right???

Any other suggestions, words of advise?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Time for an update... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

So, all in all - purchased mid-September, 2013 and back to factory (upgraded) shape as of mid-December...

Makes that 3 months of garage works: painting, priming, sanding, grindings, blasting, and all that other exciting fun restoration stuff...

Financially it wasnt all that bad - didnt take much time either (vs all the time I've spent last year on the restoration/build of the 1402 Imp).

Anyways - I had a pretty good machine to start with, not much rust & barely any damage...

Everything been gone through - seals/gaskets/o-rings/bearings/springs, etc. were replaced and secured with ALL new neoprene-backed washers (to make it "water-tight"), as well as just gone w/Grade 8 on the hardware...

I figured if it wont be me using it - at least it will last a long time for whomever buys it from me... Build it like for yourself - my motto on the works.

I'll stop boring with the wording and get to the pictures...

Anyone having any questions - just ask, i'll try to answer at my best.

So...

Updated tracks - McLaren brand - almost an inch deep lugs, seem to be a better choice with much more grip in the snow & other softer terrain.

013.JPG

For whatever reason - tracks are actually a bit "sloppy" on the whole setup, I've ended up adding an extra couple of inches to get them to stretch the proper way.

While reading other guy's posts - i've found it to be that I'm not the only one.

001-1%2520%252813%2529.JPG

cleaned up the fuel tank - replaced the line & fuel filter.

Being a 6gal. capacity - I was told it should last me a whole day of running around (keeping in mind that engine is a 4 stroke Kohler25)...

Anyone with a different experience - chime in - and comment...

018.JPG

Previous owner slapped together a pretty HEAVY duty (literally) tranny to engine mounting plate... in turn - I was able to cut out 2 large squares out of the sides (in total weight over 5lbs) - and still maintain rigidity.

024.JPG

other than an overall paint job - the hydrostat tranny got slightly rebuild - new seals/gaskets, etc.

025.JPG

pretty much whole thing together... and ready for fresh oil...

027.JPG

and this is how finished product looks after having the STAGE 1 phase completed...

005%2520%25282%2529.JPG

if anyone wondering on the exhaust - its pretty tight & not much shaky-time...

I figured that it was perfect to keep it this way - to warm some hands if need be after a cold run, as well as blow to the side, rather than keeping all that extra heat under the hood... After few runs, I might be adding an extra fan or two into the compartment under the hood if it isnt going to be sufficient as is... (there is a fan on the heat exchanger of the hydrostat.

006%2520%25282%2529.JPG

accessories & gauges...

Everyone love those... had to add an hour meter (to fill in an already cut hole in the plastic), as well as added a volt meter to keep me away from worrying on a discharge on the battery.

Regular 12V plug-in is a good idea now days with all the devices, as well as a dual port (water-proofed plug) for those USB chargeable devices like iStuff (iPhone/iPad (GPS)), Camera Equipment (GoPro/DSLR) and other junk...

I've actually been looking at a nice solar battery tender setup - might be a great addition to tender the battery & keep it topped off...

Switches are watersealed, 2 on the left for front/rear & side lighting, and a switch by the ignition for the heat exchanger's fan.

017%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Have found that Optima's YellowTop overall serves the purpose, never caused any issues, and considering that I've installed them almost in every own vehicle or toy - local guys at AutoZone replace them if any gave me trouble... (only one has - and it was my fault that it did)

Plus - a 4000lbs winch will be mounted at the front (possibly with a hitch receiver type mount) - I will use the extra juice that YellowTop puts out

019%2520%25282%2529.JPG

under the hood...

026%2520%25282%2529.JPG

electricals are very important, when it comes to open snow/rain type equipment, so this is what was used...

A 911CIRCUIT fusebox with relays, so nothing gives us trouble - and I believe everything got its own fuse... I've been blessed to have the wiring done by one of the guys that "runs & creates" the brand, so top of the line treatment here... :thumb:

034.JPG

and this is whats powering the whole thing - in case anyone wondering...

035.JPG

and a video to follow it up... :punk:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnl0ZYOPCA"]Cushman Trackster overview - YouTube[/ame]

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm hoping to ride together soon. looks like a good dependable rig and can easily be transported. it would be good for emergencies .throw it in your truck and go.

jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
good looking little machine but, its krusty orange with exhaust going up by the windshield. are you trying to score some cheese points with Big Al?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
EXCELLENT!! Nikson this thing looks great!! Cant wait to see what you do with it from here. Your sketch looks very cool.

Thanks...

Tried to keep it as authentic as possible, without much extras... Plus seems like no matter what money you dump into a Cushman, you wont ever get it back... Dont want to make this into a bottomless investment, without any return...

Trying to figure out on the roll cage idea, if its even worth it from physical stand point... might just end up doing basket carrier... or go out all the way and mold a fiberglass topper... Just dont know how to go about it yet... Need to test drive it first... see whats missing... :)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm hoping to ride together soon. looks like a good dependable rig and can easily be transported. it would be good for emergencies .throw it in your truck and go.

jim

Yep, same here... would be nice to connect to some folks and ride along together... I'm trying to make it to the Jamboree, but not 100% sure yet...

Its size is its big plus I guess... :)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
good looking little machine but, its krusty orange with exhaust going up by the windshield. are you trying to score some cheese points with Big Al?

To me its the Tucker Orange, or actually its the safety orange as per "spray can" tag... :) I liked that color on the Imp I did before...

As far as exhaust - just like that look... :)

BigAL - who is that...??? LOL

nikos

THE NEW MODEL Cushman Truckster 2014.

CONGRATULATION
Nikson :punk::punk:

Two things.
a) The steering Wheel, it is allowed you, to do movements, and to drive with one hand (the right hand), and with the other, which is free, you can hold the Telescoping Extension Pole of the GoPro Herro 3, for more multiple angles Views.
In the other way,as a fanatic (art lover) photographer you can hold your Camera with the right hand, and you drive with the left.
I wish you the best, with this little Snow machine, but lovely Truckster, in the snow mountain trails, or in the snow ground, between the trees.

b) After that, the Shares of the company, are in a rises process. You are also increase the level of the valuation multiple of your project.

regards Nikos:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent resto! Looks great! Watched the video and wondered about the location of battery and fuel tank. Would it not have made sense to swap them around? Have the battery under the seat and the fuel tank at the back of the machine?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Nikos,

The value of the machine has increase for sure, now will have to add more value to it by adding a lot of good memories in the snow...

I will do my best to do lots of video & photo while using the Trackster, I hope for much snow this year...

Cheers,

THE NEW MODEL Cushman Truckster 2014.

CONGRATULATION
Nikson :punk::punk:

Two things.
a) The steering Wheel, it is allowed you, to do movements, and to drive with one hand (the right hand), and with the other, which is free, you can hold the Telescoping Extension Pole of the GoPro Herro 3, for more multiple angles Views.
In the other way,as a fanatic (art lover) photographer you can hold your Camera with the right hand, and you drive with the left.
I wish you the best, with this little Snow machine, but lovely Truckster, in the snow mountain trails, or in the snow ground, between the trees.

b) After that, the Shares of the company, are in a rises process. You are also increase the level of the valuation multiple of your project.

regards Nikos:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Excellent resto! Looks great! Watched the video and wondered about the location of battery and fuel tank. Would it not have made sense to swap them around? Have the battery under the seat and the fuel tank at the back of the machine?

Thanks, its been a process for sure...

As far as location of those two things - I just went with what it already was by factory standard... I think it might be a better idea to keep the fuel tank in the middle due to its weight, in case of the front roll & such... but on the other hand, it might not make much difference...

ideally - it would be nice to have that space empty where the battery is currently, to put more things into it... :)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You've sparked my interest with this Cushman. I never payed much attention to them before. After watching a few videos of them on youtube they look like a fun little machine to have. Just curious though about registration, insurance etc? How do you go about registering one?

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You've sparked my interest with this Cushman. I never payed much attention to them before. After watching a few videos of them on youtube they look like a fun little machine to have. Just curious though about registration, insurance etc? How do you go about registering one?

I've never even known those things exist until I've actually seen it on CL when I started searching for my next snocat resto...

Depending on what size machine you need, it might just work.

I really liked the fact that its light (around 1000lbs), has 0 degree turn capability, 1000lbs payload & 2000lbs towing (from what I've found out).

With all that said - its pretty capable machine in most snow conditions, plow can be added, and fairly fuel efficient with some what of a comfort for the rider (hardtop cab could be added)

As far as insurance/registration - I think it all depends on the state you are in - in Oregon I've never even came across someone who would care (sheriff) in the location where I hang out. My purchase of the Trackster only included trade of $$$cash$$$ and the machine, no title or bill of sale.

Dont really see a reason for insurance for this thing... other than to get some money if it gets stolen, but how would you be quoted on a machine that by their books has literally no physical value being so old, other than you are telling them you want them to cover it for $XXX of value...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok. Makes sense. I'm thinking of something along the lines of just using it as a weekend warrior. No real purpose to it other than pleasure and the thing would fit in my garage and not take up too much room in the yard. No special trailer needed. Judging by the specs it would fit nicely on my trailer.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Day came to take it out and test it...

Whats a better option that to go icefishing... Didnt have much snow to try it in, but it was fun to cruise around the lake on it (need to consider some studs for them tracks)

This is at the Olallie Lake (Oregon), stayed at the resort, in a cabin.

Fishing wasnt too good (a bit new to the whole concept still) - I was only able to catch one in the whole weekend, while other 2 guys (big fisherman) - didnt get anything at all...

Oh well, it was enough to make some fish soup.

iphone%2520%25288%2520of%252012%2529.jpg

it was simply an amazing evening & sunset... definitely one of a kind...

Here is a PANO

iphone%2520%252812%2520of%252012%2529.jpg

20131227-IMG_6282-84.jpg

Russian "OO-kh-ah" - fish soup...

iphone%2520%252833%2520of%252048%2529.JPG

so... Trackster is pretty much done - tested as a GO for a "great toy" so to speak...

iphone%2520%252845%2520of%252048%2529.JPG

One thing wanted to ask if anyone can comment - at a full throttle & full speed on the JoyStick controller - going forward uphill, seems like engine is bogging down and not really putting out enough HPs/Torque to keep it going full speed uphill...

Keeping in mind that I'm not loaded, or going in any type of snow, just hard pack ice/gravel mixture.

Anyone care to comment? (I'm running a KOHLER 25HP, seems like engine is in good running shape)

and a video for those who likes them...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGhkJeZrhI"]Winter Adventure Olallie Lake Icefishing & ATV testing - YouTube[/ame]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As for power consider that a hydrostatic drive is not very efficient at get HP to the tracks. This is why all the newer hydrostatic drive snow cats have 4' wide tracks, and are too wide to haul, as they have 3X the engine size to carry to get acceptable power to the tracks. They have to weigh alot more when compared to a mechanically driven snow cat.

Unless things have changed you can only deliver about 35% of the engine power to the tracks. Mechanical drives are more in the 70% range of engine power delivery to the tracks. Hydros are nice, though and why the industry has gone that way, and why the older mechanical machines are coveted by us private users. They are trailerable because you don't have the weight, and track width to carry the weight and inefficency of a hydostatic drive system... they use less fuel per mile as well. And less expensive to repair for the most part...

Maybe your engine is fine, only you can determine that. But on the other hand maybe it is just the hydrostatic drive using your power.

Regards, Kirk

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As for power consider that a hydrostatic drive is not very efficient at get HP to the tracks. This is why all the newer hydrostatic drive snow cats have 4' wide tracks, and are too wide to haul, as they have 3X the engine size to carry to get acceptable power to the tracks. They have to weigh alot more when compared to a mechanically driven snow cat.

Unless things have changed you can only deliver about 35% of the engine power to the tracks. Mechanical drives are more in the 70% range of engine power delivery to the tracks. Hydros are nice, though and why the industry has gone that way, and why the older mechanical machines are coveted by us private users. They are trailerable because you don't have the weight, and track width to carry the weight and inefficency of a hydostatic drive system... they use less fuel per mile as well. And less expensive to repair for the most part...

Maybe your engine is fine, only you can determine that. But on the other hand maybe it is just the hydrostatic drive using your power.

Regards, Kirk

Kirk,

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to do something, or get use to it being this way? :)

Factory engine is same way (being also about 30HPs), thus do I care may be to throw in a smaller diesel in there, or larger petrol engine to make is more "torque" uphill...

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Day came to take it out and test it...

Whats a better option that to go icefishing... Didnt have much snow to try it in, but it was fun to cruise around the lake on it (need to consider some studs for them tracks)

This is at the Olallie Lake (Oregon), stayed at the resort, in a cabin.

Fishing wasnt too good (a bit new to the whole concept still) - I was only able to catch one in the whole weekend, while other 2 guys (big fisherman) - didnt get anything at all...

Oh well, it was enough to make some fish sou
iphone%2520%25288%2520of%252012%2529.jpg

it was simply an amazing evening & sunset... definitely one of a kind...

Here is a PANO

iphone%2520%252812%2520of%252012%2529.jpg

20131227-IMG_6282-84.jpg

Russian "OO-kh-ah" - fish soup...

iphone%2520%252833%2520of%252048%2529.JPG

so... Trackster is pretty much done - tested as a GO for a "great toy" so to speak...

iphone%2520%252845%2520of%252048%2529.JPG

One thing wanted to ask if anyone can comment - at a full throttle & full speed on the JoyStick controller - going forward uphill, seems like engine is bogging down and not really putting out enough HPs/Torque to keep it going full speed uphill...

Keeping in mind that I'm not loaded, or going in any type of snow, just hard pack ice/gravel mixture.

Anyone care to comment? (I'm running a KOHLER 25HP, seems like engine is in good running shape)

and a video for those who likes them...

Winter Adventure Olallie Lake Icefishing & ATV testing - YouTube

Very nice pics, what kind of fish?

A couple of things on the cushman what drive sprocket 7 or nine tooth? Is the engine getting top rpms not under load ? Not sure any of the machines I have
Would do top speed up hill that's the nice thing about hydrostatic you can feather it down to match the hill or load. I would check your rpms you may have to adjust the governed speed

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice pics, what kind of fish?

A couple of things on the cushman what drive sprocket 7 or nine tooth? Is the engine getting top rpms not under load ? Not sure any of the machines I have
Would do top speed up hill that's the nice thing about hydrostatic you can feather it down to match the hill or load. I would check your rpms you may have to adjust the governed speed

It has the 9 tooth drive sprokets, and the engine seems to operate at the top rpms when not under load. It did seem that when I dropped the joystick's level, the engine would keep up the rpms. Going to check into the rpms monitoring & possible governor adjustment.

Thanks,

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You usually don't get too many days like that without snow wrecking the surface. Would be PERFECT for some ice carving . . .

Attachments

• 18334_1347456487051_645966_n.jpg
    18334_1347456487051_645966_n.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,051

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You usually don't get too many days like that without snow wrecking the surface. Would be PERFECT for some ice carving . . .

Oh, I totally see you doing that right now on that lake we were last weekend...

I'm totally diggin the concept of a smaller snowplow, and than just some water buckets... maintaining a nice ice rink for some fun activities... :)

OregonShooter

Can anyone comment on the Tracksters performance in deep snow?

Also I've seen several people recommend a ring and pinion change when doing a 4 stroke conversion. However my searches come up with nothing as to the correct gears to purchase and install. Conversion kits appear to be available as well as most other necessary parts.

If someone has a link to the correct parts for the ring and pinion swap that would be helpful.

Just doing some initial research on what appears to be a very capable machine although not with out it's issues.

I've been lurking around here for a few months... Lots of excellent information and a great group of people thank you all in an advance.:smile: