• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's for Dinner Tonight?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
TR's Pizzeria churned out a 14" Ham, Onion and Pepperoni pizza for this evenings dining pleasure. My crust but because Mrs TR finds my own sauce too spicy and garlicy I used Prego pizza sauce which is much more bland and unsatisfying. :whistling: Nevertheless it came out great and the last few pieces are always great cold for breakfast. :biggrin:

2015-03-24 17.19.39.jpg

Umberto

Tonight it's Merino's tuny and King Oscar anchovy sarnies on a baguette like I used to get at the Cora in Forbach.

I love pizza for breakfast and want to do that soon.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Made some bread & sandwich thins today, then my 5-cheese whole wheat ravioli with a salad and garlic toast for dinner. There were no prisoners taken for breakfast.:brows:

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 173

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Made some bread & sandwich thins today, then my 5-cheese whole wheat ravioli with a salad and garlic toast for dinner. There were no prisoners taken for breakfast.:brows:

Lookin' good there bud! To bad about the breakfast, but I guess ya gotta eat it when its hot.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
As a chef, is there anything you consider a speciality you make and could share your expertise?QUOTE]

yeah! 'cept, i explain, often, that i have not got 1 dish that i'll specicfy as 'that dish'. rather, i'll take seasonal items, my previous knowledge, former Chefs' advice, advice via Chef-pals, & intuition, & several variations, sometimes. other thoughts, as well.
if I'm 1st-time making a dish, & i've got a winner.. then 'll watch ppl's expressions. visual appeal, flavor, aftertaste, nods of approval-- i look fer them. i've gotten few critiques/criticisms as yet-- those that i have gotten have made me create a better item.

btw, i make rockin' steak & lamb. so simplistic, yet, so complex to get to that correct level.

Umberto

Last night it was Merino's tuna salade with anchovies like I used to get at the Cora in Forbach, Lorraine, FR.

The tuna has hardboiled eggs, celery, chopped green olives, onions, tuna, and Miracle Whip since I am out of mayo.

Tonight it chili and cheese and crackers for a dreary, rainy day.

IMG_0738.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Last night it was Merino's tuna salade with anchovies like I used to get at the Cora in Forbach, Lorraine, FR.

The tuna has hardboiled eggs, celery, chopped green olives, onions, tuna, and Miracle Whip since I am out of mayo.

Tonight it chili and cheese and crackers for a dreary, rainy day.

IMG_0738.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I miss having anchovies on a pizza. Gotta do that when the gorgeous Mrs. TR is not around. She hates them :yum:

Umberto

Do a half and half. Most places here accommodate but surprised how many don't even keep them on hand. I love the little fish and can't get enough.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Do a half and half. Most places here accommodate but surprised how many don't even keep them on hand. I love the little fish and can't get enough.

Been there and done that, my friend. She claims she can smell them and still taste them somewhat on the other half which ruins it for her.

I wonder if the dog likes them? I'm willing to bet she does, so I won't have to eat alone. :yum:

BTW, I like that list of ingredients in the Tuna Salad. Yes Mayo is much better. That goes without saying. Gotta try that. Kudos.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
"She who must be obeyed" is making turkey meatloaf for dinner, so I just have to do the dishes (which I always do anyway). I'm guessing there will be mashed 'taters & corn as well. Getting hungry...

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
"She who must be obeyed" is making turkey meatloaf for dinner, so I just have to do the dishes (which I always do anyway). I'm guessing there will be mashed 'taters & corn as well. Getting hungry...

Sounds familiar. I'm not too pussy whipped. :yum:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I like the tangy zip of Miracle Whip which I will use tomorrow on the chicken salad I will make. Miracle Whip was the only thing my mom bought when I was growing up and I never acquired the taste for mayo.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sirloin tip steak sauted with onion, multi colored bell peppers, and mushrooms here this evening. My daughters are demanding some red meat...:smile:

For some reason I think this could be better with a little red wine reduced while cooking. So what do you think?

Regards, Kirk

Umberto

Sirloin tip steak sauted with onion, multi colored bell peppers, and mushrooms here this evening. My daughters are demanding some red meat...:smile:

For some reason I think this could be better with a little red wine reduced while cooking. So what do you think?

Regards, Kirk

If braising the meat a bit of cab or merlot would be a nice addition or deglaze the pan with same for a sauce to add at the table.

You raise your own beef or strictly crop operation?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's Mama's din-din...delicious as usual. She make turkey meat loaf that tastes just like beef.

Attachments

• Dinner 032515.jpg
    Dinner 032515.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 72

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If braising the meat a bit of cab or merlot would be a nice addition or deglaze the pan with same for a sauce to add at the table.

You raise your own beef or strictly crop operation?

A few years ago we raised our own beef. But truthfully, there was always a pile of hambuger left when eveything else was gone LOL...

Now days I buy it from a local meat locker for the most part. He is always buying local critters for his retail meat counter. Rare is it that I don't like what I buy from him..:wink:

Since I didn't make a sauce per say, and Sirloin is already tender, maybe the addition of wine wouldn't be needed. But I am familiar with a french mother sauce for beef that uses red wine, but I don't know what it is called or how to make it. Any pointers?:brows::smile:

Regards, Kirk

Umberto

I don't know, Kirk, if I'm braising the meat in the oven, I take the meat off, add wine to deglaze and reduce a bit, then serve it in a gravy boat.

Tonights chili was a whole onion, whole green pepper, 2 tsp garlic, olive oil to sauté the veg, 1# burger, 1/2 bottle of beer, cumin, chili powder; let simmer, then added 2 cans tomatoes, can of red beans, can of pinto beans and continue to simmer till dinner.

FullSizeRender%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Umberto

Tonight I'm frying fish and making a slaw to wrap in flat-out flatbread. The fish are the sea bass I caught last summer. I imagine there will be some french fries, as well.

Umberto

Yesterday I made fish and chips which I do frequently but yesterday was the first time I've chopped a cabbage and veg for coleslaw. The next time I'll not try to rush through the veg chopping and made it finer. The recipe was Betty Crocker's and quite bland. I added some Spanish vinegar and sugar to liven it up. I fried up a black cod fillet i had from B.C. and some rock fish I caught at Westport last Summer.

IMG_0748.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0751.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Umberto, try this recipe some time if you like a sweet slaw. It's from my late MIL, and has been a family favorite for over 50 years...and it's dirt simple to make! I quarter my cabbage, remove the heavy core, then slice very fine using my chef knife. This makes it "stringy," as opposed to chopped or diced, but you can cut it the way that you enjoy. I also grate my carrots so they are fine. Increase recipe proportionately for more cabbage, but too much is never a problem, as you can drain off excess liquid prior to serving. The "sauce" increase in volume and will thin out as the salt sweats the cabbage.

Sweet Cole Slaw
From the Kitchen of Grandma Gibbons​

Ingredients:

1# Shredded cabbage with carrots (fresh sliced or bagged from the store)
1/4C Granulated sugar
1/4C Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (or use 50/50 mix)

2t Cider vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:

Combine sugar, mayo and vinegar in a deep bowl and combine well. Add cabbage, sprinkle with salt & pepper, then mix well so all cabbage is coated. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as needed.

Place in a covered bowl in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Best if made 6-8 hours before serving or even the day before. (I always make one day ahead)

Mix well just before serving to recoat all the cabbage.

Umberto

Basically that's what I did but used the Betty Crocker recipe. It called for a mix of sour cream and mayo, as well as some dry yellow mustard. It was too bland so added a couple of T. sugar and a couple of Spanish vinegar. I used chopped onion, chopped green pepper and a shredded carrot.

FullSizeRender%202_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and her family of woosy girly-girls don't eat raw onion or green peppers, so your recipe would not be well received. But I sure as hell would have some with you if I had the chance. I'm not actively dating, so I don't care if I have onion breath...I'm just around her people anyway.:yum::yum::hide:

Never thought to use the celery seed. I use that when I make chicken salad, so I'm sure it would be good.