• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Swimming pool skimmer "socks" saved my pool!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because of Melen's back surgery, being in the hospital for 8 days and me commuting up to Chicago daily to visit her (typically leaving at 8am, returning about home about 10:30pm) and then dealing with her recovery at home for the past few days . . . my pool has been NEGLECTED for about 2 weeks.

Fortunately the weekend before her surgery I put in a brand new pool filter cartridge, jacked up the salt/chlorine generator and did one thing I've never done before, I put skimmer "socks" on the skimmer baskets.

Skimmer socks are sort of like thick, tightly woven, nylons that fit over the skimmer baskets. They catch the SMALL debris that goes through a skimmer basket. (think of it as a condom for your skimmer basket) Cost is about $2 per sock.

WOW do they work :clap:

I bought mine locally, but this is what I'm talking about => http://www.poolproducts4less.com/ca...4411/s/filter-saver-skimmer-sock/category/72/

We had SEVERAL storms roll through, there are branches and all sorts of large bits of debris in my pool, but the water is CLEAR and the small debris was all contained by the skimmer socks :smile:

I'm sold.

If you have a pool, save yourself some grief and get some skimmer socks :hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What does this do that the filter doesn't do?:unsure: I thought that is what a filter did...

It simply acts like a pre-filter that allows the filter to run cleaner for much longer. They trap the larger pieces so the filter can better handle the tiny particles.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of them. They look as if they would work though.

About 4 years ago, after being gone for about 4 weeks, I came home to a green slime hole where my pool used to be. After a couple of weeks of brushing, filtering and hundreds of dollars of shock, I decided to get professional help. It took him a couple of days off on on to get it back into shape and he's been keeping it in shape ever since. I still clean the filters every now and then but that's about it. So, since the filters are my only responsibilty now, your socks might just make my life even easier. :clap::clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of them. They look as if they would work though.

About 4 years ago, after being gone for about 4 weeks, I came home to a green slime hole where my pool used to be. After a couple of weeks of brushing, filtering and hundreds of dollars of shock, I decided to get professional help. It took him a couple of days off on on to get it back into shape and he's been keeping it in shape ever since. I still clean the filters every now and then but that's about it. So, since the filters are my only responsibilty now, your socks might just make my life even easier. :clap::clap:

They keep the filter from being clogged up by the debris that gets through the skimmer baskets so the filter keeps on filtering.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to have have a real fine basket that fit inside the normal one. Kids broke it and I could never find another one. Just watch it does not starve the pump for water.