• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I can get in your front door....

urednecku

Site Supporter
...easily, with a 'bump key.' This tells how to make a key that will fit almost ANY lock. This is scary.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ[/ame]

There are several "how to" video's there.. It looks too easy.
web-search "bump key"....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
...easily, with a 'bump key.' This tells how to make a key that will fit almost ANY lock. This is scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ

There are several "how to" video's there.. It looks too easy.
web-search "bump key"....

Way too complicated. The best universal key is a auto body sliding hammer with a stainless steel screw on the end....thread it into the brass lock and just a few hits will pop out nearly any lock cylinder.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Way too complicated. The best universal key is a auto body sliding hammer with a stainless steel screw on the end....thread it into the brass lock and just a few hits will pop out nearly any lock cylinder.

Or my #11 boot on the door. Not usually much challenge to that either.(Yea, I've done that, but the house was on fire. :shitHitFan: )

Beauty of bump key, not much more noise than the correct key, residents might not even hear it, especially if your watching TV. Lock the door behind you and no signs of forced entry. I watched several of the videos, it looks real simple. Wouldn't take much practice, even on a master lock, to be real proficient with the method.
http://www.funny-games.biz/kitten-cannon.html

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
wonder what they do about the body stopper on the other side of the door? In my house that is a .380 loaded to the rim with lead.........or if that is not sufficient, 3 20 gauge slugs..............

but hey neat to see it work

American Woman

Site Supporter
Something to think about....if I was driving by a house where a guy had his key ring out and unlocking his front door I wouldn't think anything about it...but if he's banging on a screw driver in the key hole, or kicking it with what ever size or type of shoe he may be wearing I may think about that one and call the cops or something.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Something to think about....if I was driving by a house where a guy had his key ring out and unlocking his front door I wouldn't think anything about it...but if he's banging on a screw driver in the key hole, or kicking it with what ever size or type of shoe he may be wearing I may think about that one and call the cops or something.

I can see the kicking, but with the bump key, that would be hard to distinquish between a break in and someone having a time finding the keyhole. They could hide the bump pretty well.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Years ago I worked as a carpenter for a contractor who did insurance repairs. We fixed breakins all the time. What I learned:

You need 3 to 4 inch screws securing the latchplate to the door jamb, minimum. The screws need to cross a half inch air gap behind the jamb and get a secure hold in the stud surrounding the rough door opening. Door jambs are made of soft pine and are certain to split if they are the only thing absorbing the force of a kick.

After a breakin when you are upgrading security, get the latchplate that takes four 4 inch screws. Or get it before the breakin!

If you are building for security, get a steel door and jamb.

And one tip I learned as an experiment while fixing up a rental I bought: it is amazingly easy to twist off a complete doorknob assembly with the $10 large water pump pliers WaterPumpPliers-Tiny.jpg sold at Kmart in your nearest rough neighborhood. The lock I demolished was a Schlage; Kwikset looks a lot flimsier and you might be able to do that one with your bare hands. The pliers would be easy to conceal, and use without a racket. I'm surprised it isn't the stupid burglar's tool of choice.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
A few months ago I heard about this trick. There are some relatively expensive (over $100) locksets that are immune to the bump keys. I don't know how they would stand up to the slide hammer and screw, though.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I too have seen this before. I did some research and was happy to find out that the locks we put in when we remodeled are a brand that is said to be bump proof. Not that it matters....:thumb: