• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

History of the Backhoe

BoneheadNW

I'm taking a break from working on my driveway fixing potholes and have thought of (what I consider) a stupid question to ask about backhoes. Who came up with the lever arrangement (boom, bucket, etc.) and is this arrangement standard for all backhoes? I seem to recall that trackhoes use pedals for the lateral movement of the boom. Why is that? What does the lateral control (used on backhoes) do on an excavator?

Thanks,

Bonehead

BoneheadNW

O.K. I'll give it one more try. Does anyone care to answer? Even a "Not interested" is better than no reply.

Bonehead :flame1:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would have answered this sooner, but I haven't been reading all the posts... the eyesight is failing and I need to conserve....

I believe that the backhoe was invented in Hubbardston MA by a company called Wain-Roy. I did a internet search to confirm this and found a article from Woods, who purchased the assets of Wain-Roy in the 1990's. I only know this obscure fact because I knew a few people that worked there that shopped in my pet shop in the early 1970's. Did you know that the product called BONDO was invented in Shrewsbury MA in the 1960's??? The inventor was also a customer. To the Woods news article.....

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bone, you still wanna know what the lateral movemet as used on backhoes is used for on excavators, if so, will draw a daigram tomorrow, for now, beddy time

PS, did Ursla find ya, or did the Mrs kick her out already?

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
PS, did Ursla find ya, or did the Mrs kick her out already?
No, Ursla is at John's house, remember? As I write this, you are probably dreaming about her, or burning yourself, or both. Sweet dreams!
Bone