• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Laundry saga begins.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Washing machine died last Friday so we have been on the hunt and reading lots of reviews since then. After 2 trips with my pickup and still did not find "the right one" today we headed east and checked out Home depot. As much as I hate that place they had a deal on a washer that she liked. It is a floor model front loader with steam cycle and a bunch of other crap she likes. Could not get them to budge beyond 10% on the dryer price but when she threw in 20% less on the washer we ended up buying both. Of course it started to rain so I have to wait to go get the washer. They did not have the dryer but will deliver it Friday. NOW I have to build a platform to raise them up 18". I plan to stack a 2X8 on edge on top of a 2X10 and top with 3/4 finish grade poplar plywood. Will have lots of cross bracing and may also do a diagonal brace across each machines area. I had built one at the old farm house to enable me to run the plumbing but it was only 6" tall. I plan on 2X4 corner cats as well as at each cross brace. Will use a combo of 3" screws and 16D nails to put it together. She wants to just paint it with a good exterior paint so I will roll the edge of the plywood with a belt sander or else take the router to it. Will take pics as I go. Can't justify $500 for the metal pedestals with a drawer they sell.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The pedestals are an amazing rip off. And they have drawers you will seldom use.

I got our washer and dryer set at Lowes the day a woman returned it. Her husband went thru the roof when she bought them and forced her to do it. They had never been hooked up.
I made a deal for the machines only as is, 30% off right there and they threw in the pedestales, or I would not have them.

We now use the platform I had already built at the Pacjkaging factory.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
mine took a dump a couple weeks ago the water pump went out. being the tight wad I am I took the pump apart, and built a new impeller out of fiber glass it works like a top now and didn't cost me a dime.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We just went through the same thing last week. Our maytag dryer bit the bullet. It's 11 years old and not worth fixing. So I set out to find us a new dryer. Our washer is only a yr old and one of those new high efficiency low water top loaders. I did the rounds and searched for a suitable replacement. I was about to pull the trigger on a new dryer at Leons that matched our washer when I decided to take a look at the local classifieds. I found one on there that was only a yr old and a very high capacity. I did some research and found that the used dryer was a top of the line one that sells close to $1000 just for the dryer. I picked it up for $200. Awesome deal. We're back in business. The one I was about to buy in the store was $600.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The pump leaked and flat quit running even if you spun the fan. I was an open frame motor and was corroded all to hell. New one was $140 and I doubt that was all that was going bad from the noises it made lately. The pair cost $1244 tax included. Another $100 in lumber and probably will be $30 in paint.:hammer:

Suni

oh dear...

I wish I had known you were looking for a washing machine sooner! I would have told you to NOT buy a front loader..

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When they were checking me out at Home depot the girl redid the paperwork. I kidded her about the computer would now send me 2 dryers. Today they shipped 2 dryers down from Rochester warehouse. I was a nice guy and only took one. I asked they guy did they think I was opening a laudramat way out here. He laughed and said he thought it was dumb but had lots of room so they brought them both since they had paperwork for it.:yum: