• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Water in SV200 differential?

snowbird

I know water can be a problem in the differential of the Bombardier SV200 (and probably others, too). :unsure: Can I just crack open the drain plug on the bottom area and see if only lubricant comes out, or might there still be water in there (that could freeze and cause all sorts of problems)?

rfx

You should be able to drain most of it if you have'nt moved the machine and mixed the oil with the water, but it's cheap insurance to change the oil anyways as the crown and pinion are the high wear item in those diffs. I've read alot of stuff about the water and those on this forum and I have had a 1974 sv300 for years (like 15) and long ago talked to the old mechanics from the local ski hills that worked on them and the way to fix the problem is to isolate the cyls from the lid . If you build a cross member that the cyls can push on the lid will stay sealed. Worked for me

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
here's what an old muskeg owner told me he would drain the diff saved the old oil added new oil than he would let teh water settle out put it out side to freeze than pour the oil off the ice and save it for another change .