• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone install a Split Unit A/C

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a bid on an LG split system AC unit for my workshop/garage for about $1750 for the unit only.

I also got a bid for the same unit installed at roughly $2400.

This is a nice unit, not the best in the world, reasonable efficiency and just big enough to cool my shop down so I can work in it. I get crabby when I get hot and don't like working in a sweltering shop so I tend to put off projects that really need to get done. I honestly think adding A/C would be a good thing for me.

I'm seriously thinking of installing this thing myself. Anyone try this? Am I better off letting the pros do it? I consider myself reasonably handy and pretty much will try anything once, but don't want to mess with it if I'm obviously over my head. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1a1.jpg
    1a1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 92

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
B_Skurka said:
but don't want to mess with it if I'm obviously over my head. Thoughts?

Bob,

Since we usually install them hi on the wall, it definately would be "Over Your Head". :pat: :D

LG Brand Unit
13.0 S.E.E.R.
R410 Refrigerant
Indoor Unit
Outdoor Unit
25ft line set
Remote Control

$1,475.00 plus sales tax and freight which means the savings would be eaten up I am sure. Negotiate with the guy.

Problem is, installation. I am not sure if a company can sell them direct unless the person buying is carrying a license?? In Minnesota I am not to sell but I know some of my competitors have been.

murph

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph, the price I got for the unit only was actually right at $1500 plus shipping, which I estimated to be roughly $250, and maybe I estimated a bit high?

Anyway, in your professional opinion, is this a tough install?

I know I need to put a hole through the wall and mount the interior portion up high. The outside unit mounts on a small pad, right? I'd have an electrician wire it up so that would add to the D-I-Y price. Maybe I'd be better off just to have a pro do it and get it done?

Is this a 4 to 6 hour installation project?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob,

Not a tough install. Especially if putting the unit on an outside wall which I assume you would being it's a garage. Some brands use to have quick connects so all you did was order the line set to length and screw down which makes it easier for the homeowner to install. Otherwise you have to solder the line set and then what about a vacuumn pump? Line sets are fairly small tubing but be careful not to kink. If your good you can do it in the 4 hours otherwise it could be 6 or more.

I am assuming your install price then is $650.00. Electrician is around $150 to 200.00. I really don't think you would have a problem especially if the lines are quick connects.

murph

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I will take a look at it when it arrives (due Monday or Tuesday) and see if it is something I want to tackle. Thanks Murph!

daedong

[FONT=&quot]Bob I have done them, they are reasonably easy to install, particularly on an outside wall (as already stated) One of the most important things is that no dirt or grit gets into pipes. If you have to cut the pipes you should have no insurmountable problems with fittings, generally pretty basic to connections. [/FONT]

Cityboy

Banned
Like Murph said, the line set is the big issue, along with needing a vacuum pump and manifold gage set to do the job right. I used a micron gage when I was installing so I knew exactly how deep a vacuum I pulled.

You can probably do it, but if you run into trouble, a lot of pro's are reluctant to bail you out on a job you started. So if you have any doubts, hire a pro from jump street. The customary 1 year labor warranty on most installs (at least around here) might just come in handy. I don't know of any contractors who will warranty a unit they did not install.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Cityboy said:
I don't know of any contractors who will warranty a unit they did not install.

Know of a few contractors who do warranty work on equipment they didn't install.

They give the homeowner an estimate on the labor and parts. Homeowner pays the contractor in full BEFORE the work is to be done. Homeowner gets the warranty part back, and then it's up to the homeowner to get his money back from either the person who sold him the equipment or directly from the manufacturer. Actually works pretty well for the contractor wo didn't do the install.

Bob, if you bought this eqipment online, make sure from the manufacturer about the warranty. Two lines that I know of (ductless mini split), have a "no net sale clause" stating that if you buy their eqipment online, the warranty is void unless the person selling you the unit does the warranty work.

Was the lineset included in the price? From your post I'd say no. Lineset pricing has at least doubled in the last 3 three months. .

Legally, anyone can buy the equipment anywhere, the tricky part is when you have gauges, v- pump and a jug of juice and your torch kit. If by chance you are not CFC certified and someone has a hard on for you, and reports you to the EPA, the crap can get pretty deep with the Federal gov. (individual state laws aside of course to the sale of equipment and licensing isuues).

Trakternut

If you buy this unit and have your local guy install and there's problems down the road, both the seller and the installer can stand there pointing fingers at each other until the cows come home and all you'll have is a high-priced wall ornament in the meantime.

Best bet, in my opinion is to buy from your local heating/ac dealer and have him install it. That way if there's problems, you only have to deal with one person on the warranty. You get what you pay for and I just hate going cheap on expensive stuff. But I sure do understand trying to save a buck though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm getting it from the HVAC company that does all my HVAC work at my office/warehouse. They said they would either ship it to the house or install it, and they gave me price quotes either way. I'm now seriously leaning toward having them do it. After all other considerations it seems like having them install it would be my best bet, the cost saving, time involved to self install, warrenty issues. I'll be talking with them Monday about a major project at the office, I think I'll have them just do the garage/shop for me.

dzalphakilo

Banned
B_Skurka said:
I'm getting it from the HVAC company that does all my HVAC work at my office/warehouse. They said they would either ship it to the house or install it, and they gave me price quotes either way. I'm now seriously leaning toward having them do it. After all other considerations it seems like having them install it would be my best bet, the cost saving, time involved to self install, warrenty issues. I'll be talking with them Monday about a major project at the office, I think I'll have them just do the garage/shop for me.

I'm actually surprised that they have a 10 SEER unit left in stock.

Cost wise, from what I've seen from the ductless split manufacturers, there is not that big of a price jump from say a 10 SEER 12k btu A/C to a 18k BTU 21 SEER A/C unit (unlike the residential split systems).

Added to the fact that from the 4 manufacturers that I know of, all are currently only using R-410A in production to obtain the higher SEER rating, and the R-22 units have been discontinued.

Needless to say, if this company is doing your office and warehouse HVAC work, you can at least feel comfortable knowing that the job will be done right and to your satisfaction.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Possibly they are so accommodating is because they are getting rid of obsolete inventory. I would ask about the more modern unit and the cost difference. This is one are where efficiency will be important, even if it is only used occassionally... Junk..

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
dzalphakilo said:
I'm actually surprised that they have a 10 SEER unit left in stock.

One of the suppliers that we buy from called us just over a week ago and asked if we would be interested in buying a bunch of 10 seer condensing units. I asked home many they had and he said almost 300. So we are buying some and people are still buying them.

murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
Residential split systems?

Would make sense, depending on how strick you local code guys are. "Fine print" per N.C is that the system must be ARI matched.

Whats more interesting per 10 SEER is how backed up Copeland is making compressors for the 10 SEER market. Used to be that for the price of a compressor changeout, it would make sense just to replace the condensing unit. Now with 13 SEER being the minimum, the compressor changeout may be worth the time.

Oh, something neat for the HVAC guys, I'm thinking that in the future you will be able to run at least 10 indoor evaporator units off of one condensing unit, using one lineset (same "idea" as running a zone system using zone valves and cirulators on a hydronic sytem). Idea being that you will no longer have to use conventional ductwork. Don't think you will see these units this year, maybe end of next year, 2008. May surprise you.

Last edited:

Cityboy

Banned
Junkman said:
Possibly they are so accommodating is because they are getting rid of obsolete inventory. I would ask about the more modern unit and the cost difference. This is one are where efficiency will be important, even if it is only used occassionally... Junk..

I'd buy a 10 SEER in a minute if the price is right. The manufacturers make claims of the massive savings you will get because of the increased efficiency; but the likelyhood of the ROI (actual savings on your electric bill) on the super high SEER units over the life of the system is small and most likely nil. Best to go with the standard system in most cases unless you are the type of person who wants to own "the best" and really like all the bells and whistles.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CB, I'm inclined to agree with you.

The fact that this is a 10 SEER unit doesn't bother me in the least. It will probably be used 10 or 15 days a year, and then for only 3 to 8 hours on those days. The added savings a higher SEER unit would provide in reduced energy costs will simply not be seen.

I look at tractor implements and power tools the same way. I'd drop $2000 for a finish mower but complain about spending $400 rear blade. Simple reason, the finish mower is used every week, but a blade may only be used a couple times a year. I own Ryobi 18volt tools, they are good enough for me, but then again if I used them for my job, I'd pony up the extra cash.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Cityboy said:
I'd buy a 10 SEER in a minute if the price is right. The manufacturers make claims of the massive savings you will get because of the increased efficiency; but the likelyhood of the ROI (actual savings on your electric bill) on the super high SEER units over the life of the system is small and most likely nil. Best to go with the standard system in most cases unless you are the type of person who wants to own "the best" and really like all the bells and whistles.

Agreed to a point.

With a ductless mini system, savings would be minimal most likely in the SEER rating difference, but as mentioned, you would be surprised on the cost difference (nowhere near residential conventional duct systems). Variable that I would look at is the price of R-22 compared to R410 and where those prices will be in the future, along with parts availability. Most if not all ductless systems are made overseas. If the parts are not in the U.S, you may have to wait (had a Sanyo compressor bad after 4 years, had to wait over three months for it to come it, to the point where I was tracking it on the boat in the Paciffic).

Manufacturers of ductless mini systems are nortorious at times for lack of parts availability on "older" units at times.

Since Bob is using this system for his garage, used part time, and if system for whatever reason should fail, seems like no big deal.

However, with conventional systems, match-ups, availability will play a part in the SEER rating "game" and the ARI match-up.

Scenerio. Possibility that a 7 year old sytem either has the condensing unit or coil "go down" (bad). If by chance you can find a 10 SEER rated replacement for either coil or condensing unit, hey, you're good to go. But...if the other piece of equipment should fail in the future, you may be STUCK with going with a new complete 13 SEER new system and even though you replaced one piece two years ago, now have to buy another complete sytem so they (condensing unit and coil) will actually "work" with each other.

Yes, at times depending on the coil, outdoor unit, SEER rating, you may "get by" with mixing an unapproved matchup, but, big but, you replace any outdoor unit without a manufacturers APPROVED matched indoor unit (or vise versa) you voided any warranty on the new unit (and they do check model # and serial number, which is whats needed for warranty info).

You could litterally put in a new 10 SEER condenser and just voided ANY warranty depending on the indoor evaporator coil.

Now, that being said, with a split ductless mini system, you get a 10 SEER system and need to replace either the evaporator coil or condensing unit, you may be stuck with no option, due to availability of either unit.

Keep in mind, what Bob buys really is of no interest to myself, only trying to point out the possibilities and scenerios.

However, a decent HVAC contractor should explain all of your (as a homeowner) options and why.

Last edited:

dzalphakilo

Banned
Apologies, not sure how to paste all this stuff.

Heat pump 10 SEER via internet, a little over $1000.

One reason why I don't sell equipment that uses distributors or "retailers" over the internet.

If I'm a contractor, and I see where someone can buy the equipment straight over the internet, I'd call my distributor or manufacturer and tell them I'd like to meet with them and ask about the distribution "policy" and sales.

Did not call for availability or place the order to make sure they had it in stock. You can find these units anywhere over the internet.

If the guy was going to charge $2400 installed and $1750 for the unit only, ask him what if you get the unit and he just charges you $650 for the instal? Figure it would run you about $1950 or so installed (including lineset and shipping) at that point.

Home » Air Conditioners » Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners » 9000 to 15000 BTU Single Zone » LG LS-L1210HL 12000 BTU Heat and Cool Mini Split Air Conditioner - LSL1210HL LG LS-L1210HL 12000 BTU Heat and Cool Mini Split Air Conditioner - LSL1210HL

Dimensions:
  • Width: Outdoor - 30 5/16, Indoor - 35
  • Height: Outdoor - 21 5/16, Indoor - 11 5/16
  • Depth: Outdoor - 9 19/32, Indoor - 6 11/16
Availability Our Price Quantity Buy Now Usually Ships in 1 to 3 Days $1,049.95

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just hobbled out to the workshop and saw the new air conditioner in the shop. It was installed Friday, it has a nice feature that I was not aware of and that is a motorized exhaust vent that discharges the cold air and disperses the cold air around the room. Its nice because I don't like working in the direct path of a cold breeze, and also because having the cold air blown out and moving around should help to eliminate/minimize boht cold spots & hot spots in the workshop.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Gonna get some good use out of that A/C in the next week.

:snow_smi::snow_smi::snow_smi::snow_smi:

Probably not :(. My foot hurts so damn much I have been sitting on my ass for the past 15 1/2 days. I was at the doctor earlier this week and he sliced open the wound to "drain it" which was really gross :puke1:. Bloody fluid spurted out. Its been 'draining' ever since and hurting like hell. He said that is normal. He told me I could have another bottle of vicodin if I ran out of the first 50 that he gave me. :eek: