• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another wiring question

Dutch-NJ

bczoom said:
I would like to know more about teh conditions of the collapse for Dutch.

I have over 1000' of the S&D pipe running under my yard and to my knowledge have no collapse. After all, that's what that pipe is made for...

How deep is your S&D pipe buried? (My problem was the pipe was buried too deep)

What diameter is it? (The larger the diameter, the less outside pressure it can withstand)

Do you drive vehicles over it? (That’s a sure way to have problems)

As you probably know, thin wall PVC pipe is typically used for sewage leach fields. Leach fields are located where there is NO vehicle traffic.

The problem I had was my own stupid fault. I was trying to save a few dollars by using thin wall PVC.

I buried 6" thin wall S&D pipe to carry off water from my roof gutters. Due to my needs, the pipe was buried 8' deep. The weight of the backfill dirt crushed the pipe. The crushed pipe split. Water escaping from the split created a washout. The washout permitted dirt to enter the pipe. The situation just kept repeating until the pipe became completely blocked.

I had to dig up the thin wall pipe and replace it with thicker wall schedule 40 DWV PVC pipe.

BTW - You'd be surprised how many people have problems with septic leach fields because they drove over them (even just once).

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Doc said:
.......... Is there a valid reason to pay out the big bucks?

I need to save a few bucks so I can buy a tiller from Wannafish .....Junk will never close the deal. :poke:

so you run out of money by the time I make the deal on the tiller...:applause:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Doc........ I have used the grey and also DWV schedule 40 pipe and they are both as heavy walled. The grey has a bell end, so you eliminate the fittings. I have also found that they are both competitively prices, well, at least 3 years ago they were. Shop around at the electrical supply houses, because the HD and Lowe's are high priced on this item. Also, know that there are short and long sweeps for making 90 degree bends. Use the long sweeps where possible. Also, consider using multiple of smaller sizes for other lines such as telephone, cable, etc. The reason I mention this is because sometimes it is difficult to snake additional wires through the pipe when wires are already in them. Seems that they just get tangled and then it is a mess to try to pull them out or go any further. In the long run, the pipe is cheap compared to the labor to redo it later on if you screw up this time by going cheap..... Junk.. spending your money as fast as I can....:thumb:

Dutch-NJ

Doc said:
I was shocked at the cost of the gray pvc conduit. Why is it so much more expensive. I hadn't thought of the pipe caving in like dutch mentioned. The 3" pvc has a thicker wall. About the same thickness as the gray electrical rated conduit. Can someone tell me the difference in the two.
If conduit is not required below 18", I still want to put it in pipe, but see no good reason to pay over $500 for the gray stuff. Maybe you guys can set me straight. Is there a valid reason to pay out the big bucks?

$500 for 150' of PVC? It's been a while since I bought any, but that seems mighty high.

According to Lowes website 2" PVC is less than $1 per foot, and I think I get better prices from an electrical supply house.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dutch-NJ said:
How deep is your S&D pipe buried? (My problem was the pipe was buried too deep)

What diameter is it? (The larger the diameter, the less outside pressure it can withstand)

Do you drive vehicles over it? (That’s a sure way to have problems)

As you probably know, thin wall PVC pipe is typically used for sewage leach fields. Leach fields are located where there is NO vehicle traffic.

The problem I had was my own stupid fault. I was trying to save a few dollars by using thin wall PVC.

I buried 6" thin wall S&D pipe to carry off water from my roof gutters. Due to my needs, the pipe was buried 8' deep. The weight of the backfill dirt crushed the pipe. The crushed pipe split. Water escaping from the split created a washout. The washout permitted dirt to enter the pipe. The situation just kept repeating until the pipe became completely blocked.

I had to dig up the thin wall pipe and replace it with thicker wall schedule 40 DWV PVC pipe.

BTW - You'd be surprised how many people have problems with septic leach fields because they drove over them (even just once).
Dutch,

I run 4" S&D everywhere EXCEPT beside the house.

Next to the house, I knew I was going down 8+' so it's sch-40.

Under the yard (12-18"), it's all the thin wall. I drive on it almost daily. Less often on the leach field, but I do drive on the leach field.

I've become more acquainted with the DEP then I've ever expected in the past 4 months. (do a search on "bunker" in this forum). I've learned what can (and cannot) be done.

Dutch-NJ

bczoom said:
Under the yard (12-18"), it's all the thin wall. I drive on it almost daily. Less often on the leach field, but I do drive on the leach field.

I was merely sharing my experience.

bczoom said:
(do a search on "bunker" in this forum). I've learned what can (and cannot) be done.

I read the "bunker" thread. Very interesting. Sounds like something I would have explored when I was a few years younger.

chrpmaster

When I ran a new main service line from the street to my workshop the power company had me use the cheap black 4" drain pipe to run the line through under my stone driveway. Other than that they said it wasn't necessary to run the wire inside any pipe because it was made for ground contact. I did have to trench 30" down according to code in our area and had to use 2' pvc from underground to the meter box. Other than that nothing. This was OOOO aluminum wire for a new 200 amp service.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the guy that will actually hook up the power coming over Sunday. I mentioned the pipe I was considering and he advised that I use two seperate pipes. A 1" for my low voltage stuff (phone , cat 5 , cable) and a 2" pipe for the 4 leads of #2.

I'm going to try to go 18 to 20 inches deep. Have those that ran low and high voltage wires in one pipe had problems with interference?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I have the guy that will actually hook up the power coming over Sunday. I mentioned the pipe I was considering and he advised that I use two seperate pipes. A 1" for my low voltage stuff (phone , cat 5 , cable) and a 2" pipe for the 4 leads of #2.

I'm going to try to go 18 to 20 inches deep. Have those that ran low and high voltage wires in one pipe had problems with interference?

Yes it causes problems