• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier J5 custom built armored mini tank?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stumbled across this and found it pretty interesting, not sure what good it is or what it would be used for, probably more interesting to a military buff who wants a tank but can't part with quarter-million $$$ it would take to buy a WWII Sherman.

LINK TO WEBSITE => http://www.armyjeeps.net/Tankett/j5_tankett.htm
J-5 Tankett

Built as a homage to the Panzerkampwagen 38(t) or Czech LT vzor 38, this tankett was painstakingly built by an unknown craftsman at China Lake Air Station sometime in the 1980s. It sat in the CA desert for a number of years and was refinished in NC in 2008.

The base vehicle is a 1950-1960 Bombarder J-5. Its structure is built with one inch steel square tube, on to which are attached aluminum panels with aviation machine screws. The turret can rotate 270 degrees and has a top hatch. The engine can be accessed via twin maintenance fenders which are hinged forward.

The J-5 is currently configured for one crewman, but with some modification could accommodate 2. It has no weapons mounted, although a .50 single shot and a 1919 have been mounted to the turret before. There is no armoring, although there is sufficient H to mount 1 inch plate around the crew compartment.

It is powered by a Chrysler 251 flathead six (114HP) which makes maintenance simple and cheap. The mechanical fuel pump has been replaced with an electric one, as well as supplemented with a fuel flow regulator to adjust to different altitudes. The original fuel tank (included) was replaced with a marine fuel cell for ease of removal and safety.

The J-5 has 3 forward and 1 reverse gear and steering is via track braking. Track tensioning is via grease injection, the suspension is via air cushioned road wheels, and this vehicle received a new drive sprocket during the 2008 refit. J-5 parts are available from Minnesota Outdoor Sports Specialties. The turret can easily be removed and the vehicle can be used as a tow tractor. It has a top speed of around 25-30 MPH, has a low ground pressure, and is a blast in snow and mud.

If you are wanting to get into tracked vehicles, but don't have a fortune to spend, here is your chance.

Length-104"
Width-58"
Height-60" to top of turret
Clearance-24"
Weight-approx 3500 pounds

Price: $12,000.00
Location North Carolina 28681

Attachments

• petunia 020.jpg
    petunia 020.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • petunia 018.jpg
    petunia 018.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,004
  • petunia 019.jpg
    petunia 019.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 992
  • petunia 017.jpg
    petunia 017.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 992
  • petunia 024.jpg
    petunia 024.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 986
  • petunia 013.jpg
    petunia 013.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 989
  • petunia 011.jpg
    petunia 011.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 942
  • petunia 023.jpg
    petunia 023.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 943
  • petunia 012.jpg
    petunia 012.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 925
  • petunia 014.jpg
    petunia 014.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 914

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
And now we know "the rest of the story"! I wondered when I picked mine up. Why red?

It happens to be the same color used for the formula that is used for the US
Navy subs where these are produced. also I think it looks better than pink:yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That's one of the early J5s that had the lighter gage body.

Maybe all that extra body work will keep the tub from flexing under power ?