• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diesel and 18 wheels

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I see we have some others that have lived the life of gear jamming. I'm starting this thread hoping others may be interested in what it's really like driving a 53' trailer loaded with 45Klbs of stuff people need everyday. When you see that sticker on the rear doors of many trailers that says, "Good stuff, trucks bring it" you better believe it. Myself, I never thought much about the things I have, until I started moving it anywhere in North America.
Truck drivers are a profession similar in some ways to a cop, someways to mailman, some ways to the guy/gal flipping burgers. What I'm saying, is that it's one of those things that is almost totally thankless, unless you've been there. Besides the rudeness from other big truck drivers, you sometimes get it from customers as well. Consider this, you've driven nonstop from a town in Pennslyvania, to a town in Virginia, 500+ miles nonstop thru Washington DC rush hour, Baltimore rush hour, to get a load of pop to the guy that needed it yesterday, and can't even aknowledge that you said "Good morning". Most receivers are pretty decent to you, some are not. I think they actually feel that drivers are nothing but subservient peons that are on the road just to terrorize them.
There are many very good times as well. Like being out in the middle of the desert at sundown, watching the sun disappear behind a small mountain, highlighting the saguaro cactus like a deformed tree, and no one for miles around but you. The sky is unbelievable at night out there like that, theres more stars to be seen than one could imagine.

I really lost track with where I was going with this, LOL. Not a good sign for a restart is it? But I'll get better, yep, I'll get better.:yum::beer::beer:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Some jobs just get taken for granted. I'm glad you're safe and back here.

Trakternut

I hear ya, JohnDay! Generally, big trucks are an annoyance to the guy or gal in the SUV who's running late to work because he/she didn't get his/her butt in gear early enough. They forget that it takes a little time to get 40 tons of truck and load rollin' from a stoplight. They forget that that #$^*!@# truck ahead of them may well be headin' for their favorite store with some much needed toilet paper, snackie foods, shoes, jackets.........you name it! The saying goes: "If you've got it, a truck brought it." And, it's true. When's the last time you saw railroad tracks leading up to the store you frequent??
Then you get the screwballs who are on a suicide mission because they just have to pass you, pull directly over in front of you and take the next exit, when they could have slowed down behind you and done the same thing in just a few seconds more time.
Rule of thumb: When following a truck, if you can't see the mirrors, the driver can't see you.
How's your blood pressure, JohnDay?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
John,
Unfortunately, you are all too right. I don't miss life on the road, long days and short nights. Every time Alabama's Roll on eighteen wheeler comes on I STILL get goosebumps.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
John,
Unfortunately, you are all too right. I don't miss life on the road, long days and short nights. Every time Alabama's Roll on eighteen wheeler comes on I STILL get goosebumps.

At this point I miss it. But, as time goes on,,,,,,,,

If building doesn't work out for me, maybe a day cab is in order. I know you know 'bout those Michigan trains!:4_11_9::w00t2:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I was younger I drove on and off as a replacement for another guy. Mostly Iowa and Minnesota only. I kind of miss it from time to time but then I think twice about the nights in the cab.

Trakternut

I don't miss it much at all. It's way too nice getting off work at 5 pm and having the evenings to myself, weekends off, and no DOT!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
There are days I miss the solidarity, but I sure like being home. I can't imagine trying to raise the runt from the road. Then again... my last day in a big truck was a memorable one that I wish I could forget. You are blessed to have not gone down the road I did....:thumb:

American Woman

Site Supporter
John it sounds like you left something you loved doing. Was there anyway you could have continued and your wife have gone with you? Some truckers have a mate with them.....

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I used to be mate with my late partner Rick, he drove abnormal loads and it was a legal requirement to have a mate with you. I have a licence to drive articulated lorries (semis - I believe you call them,) and my daughter also. She last drove a tank transporter with a T52 tank on it. In this country truck drivers are treated like second class citizens, and if you are a woman driving a truck, it is worse - definitely a third class citizen. I am sorry to say that I still miss it though and that is why I drive my old ones!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never drove an 18-wheeler but I must be one of the few on the road that respect them.

I always give them the space they need and whenever they need it, I'll back down and let them in my lane. A few weeks ago, I was driving down I-79 and a trooper had a car on the right. A lone 18-wheeler was in the right lane and everyone was zipping by him on the left. I (and another 30+ cars behind me) were also in the left lane but I gave my binders a little touch to let the cars behind me know I was slowing then flashed the lights letting him know it's OK to come over. He appreciated it as he gave me a wave and honk once he pulled back to the right and I passed. I do that all the time.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, you did EXACTLY the right thing. Those laws about move over or slow down, are there for a very good reason. It's a bit pathetic that laws like that need to be passed, common sense and courtesy aren't anymore though.
I'll say without any doubt, that driver appreciated what you did very much.
Always drive looking down a 1/4 mile or so off the hood, paying attention to what's on either shoulder, merging, or whatever.
Do you remember just where you were at that time. It's a far shot, but I seem to remember that happening to me out on I79 a few weeks ago. Was it a big red Volvo with U.S.Xpress written all over? Very far chance, but you never know.
And a big "THANKYOU" for being aware of your surroundings and doing the logical thing.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you remember just where you were at that time. It's a far shot, but I seem to remember that happening to me out on I79 a few weeks ago. Was it a big red Volvo with U.S.Xpress written all over?
As best as I can recall, it was Sunday evening (after dark but not super late), September 28. I was on I-79 South, about 40-60 miles south of Erie PA. That would have put me about 1/2 way between I-80 and I-90 in W. PA.

Thanks for the kudos but it isn't really necessary. I do it all the time and wholeheartedly agree others should do it as well.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
A far shot it might have been me. It wasn't. I'm one of those solar powered drivers, always tried to be down somewhere before 1800. Any later than that it was usually luck of the draw parking one of those things.
Would've been cool if it had been me tho!LOL:clap:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
A far shot it might have been me. It wasn't. I'm one of those solar powered drivers, always tried to be down somewhere before 1800. Any later than that it was usually luck of the draw parking one of those things.
Would've been cool if it had been me tho!LOL:clap:

LOL I was a youth powered driver. I actually preferred to drive at night as much as possible. I have not "driven" since October 9th 2002 before the HOS changes. I could sleep 4 hours a night and make it look good on paper. At my last job in a local truck I could run all night if I wanted and make it look good. That only happened at the end of the month....:hide:
There are things you learn while driving that never leave you. I see things down the road long before other people do because I am always scanning the road a half mile or further away. A little courtesy goes a long way with drivers. Even after 6 years at my current job I still love to see the faces on the drivers when I give them their bills with directions to their destination.:mrgreen:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't mean to end the trucker lovefest here, but...

What's the crud with the trucker doing about 1/2MPH faster than the guy in front of him climbing a hill, so he pulls out into the left lane and brings a line of 4-wheelers cruising at 75 to a screeching halt? Can't he just let up on the peddle a bit? Courtesy doesn't go both ways?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bobcat, there could be a number of things going on there.
The most common one is that most of the big companies have turned the trucks down to 65mph or slower, and there can be 1/2 to 1 mph difference in even the same companies truck. It's aggravating to the driver as well.
When in hilly terrain and dragging a big load, it's common to grab all the reasonable speed you can on the downgrade to make it up the next upgrade without losing too much speed and hurting 4wheelers feelings.
Patience should be exhibited by ALL on the road. You have to remember that cab is not only the drivers workplace, it's also his home for the most part.
I assume the 75mph you mentioned is the posted speed limit?
A number of the engine manufacturers have also threatened to annul warranties on engines at many of the larger companies because they turn the trucks down to speeds they were not designed to run, in other words, too slow. Most new road trucks are designed to cruise around 70mph, and maintain decent mileage by truck standards.

It would also be nice if people would think outside of the box, if you will, put down the damn cellphone, and actually contact they're reps about those split speedlimits, they're dangerous, and when you add the people that are "too" important to obey speedlimits and other laws, it can be, and often is a recipe for disaster. When a 4wheeler causes an accident, guess who is usually unscathed after the dust clears.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm talking about trucks trying to climb a grade on an Interstate, slowing to somewhere in the 45MPH range because of their load holding them back, and then pulling out into the left lane because the truck in front of them can only manage 44.5MPH. :pat: Then all of the left hand traffic is slowed down to 45MPH for the duration of the climb or at least until the trucker can slowly inch ahead of his 44.5MPH buddy. It happens way too frequently, so much so that I have to assume it's because they feel they would lose too much momentum to back off that extra 1/2MPH. When I see two trucks slugging up the hill in the right lane at 40-45ish, and I'm cruising at 75ish (or posted speedlimit), I just assume the rear truck is going to pull out in front of me at the last moment. :censored:

Mixed speed limits are a dummarse idea. Let the big dogs run. It's safer and more efficient for everyone. I remember them everywhere in CA and was surprised to see them in certain areas of MT. A lot of guys who ride with me (like SnoOps) seem to like to ride the left lane all the time. Then when someone comes up on is arse, he gets all indignant. :rolf2: :poke: I assume it's his CA education where all of the trucks and cars with trailers occupied the right lane with a 10MPH lower speed limit. Unless you're passing (with speed), get yer arse out of the left lane on a limited access road (highway, interstate, etc)! If you get a call you feel you must take and don't have a handsfree device, pull over!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bobcat, It may seem like he should back off a bit like you say, But when you do that, you really do lose alot of momentum, if that's the proper term, and you wind up losing even more speed and likely hold up even more people as well.

I know sometimes 4wheelers wonder what the crap is wrong that guy, in some cases it truly is a dumbass truckdriver. God knows there's plenty.

I wish I could explain it to you better than I have.

I guess it all comes down to having patience around big trucks. Most drivers learn that as a form of self defense. 99% of the time, that driver isn't purposely trying to screw 4wheelers.

When and if that happens to you again, take a deep breathe, remember the word patience, as well as that drivers likely doing the best he can with what he's got.

And you're right, courtesy is a two way street.:thumb:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
, I just assume the rear truck is going to pull out in front of me at the last moment. :censored:

Now that is EXCELLENT defensive driving:applause::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyhow, sorry it wasn't you John that I got a chance to squalk horns with.

In general, whether it be with little cars with women talking on phones or big-rigs trying to climb a hill, I always try to be nice to the other drivers. BTW, the women on the phone are THE WORST!!!.

I do drive faster than most but like mentioned, I keep my eyes on my surroundings and do my best to be safe. Mrs. Zoom always asks why I won't talk to her on the cell phone... My answer is always "It's because I'm driving". I can't stand talking on the phone if I'm driving.

Here's a thread we had awhile back about driving. I think it's pretty representative of the members.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3300

Trakternut

I started out driving trucks with "mechanical" engines. This means that there is no computer between your right foot and the engine. Providing you've got enough HP under the hood, you can roll into a hill at highway speed and gently drop your foot to the floor, putting more power to the road to hold speed.
Now, they've got a computer that's trying to do the driver's thinking for him. You roll into that same hill and drop your foot, the computer won't start opening that engine up until you've already started to lose momentum. All the HP in the world won't save your hind end then, you're gonna slow down. Couple this scenario with a truck that's governed at a slower speed than what the traffic is running and you've got a road block on 18 rubber tires. No matter how badly that truck driver wants to not be a pain in your hind end, it's gonna happen.
How I long for the days of the Caterpillar 3406B mechanical engines, set to 425 hp. Now, they've got to put the HP rating up to 550 hp to get the same job done.
Signed,
Been there, done that.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i never got to drive long haul in the us but i did som long haul in iraq drivins an up armored 915A1 had a lot of fun but you get around kwait city and wou have to watch out for the benz's they drive them things over there like they are desposable i remember one making a turn with me halh under the flat bed

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I only drive a lorry now (sorry truck) as a hobby - to get the snowtracs or whatever to rallies, but my daughter is driving for an agency, on night shifts with an artic (semi to you), delivering milk. I am in the process of looking for a new truck to go under the horse box (it is demountable) as the old one is getting very tired. I will post piccys when I find one. I still like trucks, though I can't imagine why!!!!