• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Close call and my work for today ..........

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last Sunday night the remnants of Ike came through and we had winds in excess of 60mph. At 10:30 PM I let the dogs out and when I looked down the driveway I saw this under our driveway light.

Most know I work away from home and I had to be in Baltimore Monday morning to meet with a client and didn't return home until last night. (*side note* - The company I work for is putting a BU branch office in my home town 7 miles from my front door. I will be occupying one of those office's tentatively November 1st, so after 8 years on the road, I'll be home 95% of the time ............. yeehaw, I deserve it!).

Anyway back to the tree. As you see the tree just missed our power pole. Power is overhead to the pole and then underground to the house. We never lost power and most people around us to the south waited 3 days for power to return............. we was lucky. This is the project for the day and frankly I'm looking forward to it!

Attachments

• P1010898.jpg
    P1010898.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010900.jpg
    P1010900.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010896.jpg
    P1010896.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010894.jpg
    P1010894.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 140

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang, that is a big ole root ball. You guys were lucky. I can see why you are looking forward to clearing it. Fun with the chain saw and some seat time. :D :thumb:

Congrats on the closeby office. :applause: 8 years on the road so much would sure be tough. Welcome home buddy!!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Doggie!
Yeah, those winds were fierce.
Nice shot of the kids inspecting the damage :)

Our boys are grown and believe me, Beaux and Luna are taking up our nurturing instincts. Those 2 have it made .......... :mrgreen:

Dang, that is a big ole root ball. You guys were lucky. I can see why you are looking forward to clearing it. Fun with the chain saw and some seat time. :D :thumb:

Congrats on the closeby office. :applause: 8 years on the road so much would sure be tough. Welcome home buddy!!!!

Thanks Doc, I'll tell you all about it in October ............. :punk:

Dollie

Banned
That's a big tree :shock: good thing it wasn't leaning a little more to the right. That would have been a close call :whistling:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Progress ............

Well when I went down to start on the tree I noticed the tree laying on one of the support tension cables with the cable cut about a third into the limb. Looked at the pole and be damned it was actually leaning because of it....:pat:

So I call the power company and they tell me not to do anything until one of their service people get there. Long story short, ended up having to wait on their tree service folks to come out and cut it. Here is some of the aftermath ...... :shock:

Attachments

• P1010909.JPG
    P1010909.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 121
  • P1010911.JPG
    P1010911.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 121
  • P1010912.JPG
    P1010912.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010908.JPG
    P1010908.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010904.JPG
    P1010904.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 115

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Sorry about the tree - looks like you have a nice piece of land, though!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Job well done. Now you have to deal with them fricken roots that are running close the surface of the ground. They are the worst to deal with.

murph

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Well you got some good luck going! Tree missed the power line.... you will be getting to stay home MUCH more and those are some good lookin doggies ya got there!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Job well done. Now you have to deal with them fricken roots that are running close the surface of the ground. They are the worst to deal with.

murph

Not with a backhoe .................... :mrgreen:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tree gone, roots pulled (hey Murph) and some still have work to do and some just play. Beaux use to fetch 2 sticks at a time, now it takes 2 for one stick ..... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• P1010915.JPG
    P1010915.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010916.JPG
    P1010916.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010924.JPG
    P1010924.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010921.JPG
    P1010921.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010917.JPG
    P1010917.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 83

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
How lovely to see the kids helping too! That stick must have been very heavy to take two of them to carry it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah it may have been heavy but I bet them kids carried more wood than that Coyote did :poke: :hide: :mrgreen:

All in the effort to conserve fuel ......... and I got 2 words for you and it ain't Merry Xmas!!

AndyM

Charter Member
Last Sunday night the remnants of Ike came through and we had winds in excess of 60mph...

...As you see the tree just missed our power pole. Power is overhead to the pole and then underground to the house. We never lost power and most people around us to the south waited 3 days for power to return............. we was lucky.

You sure were lucky... our power was only out for two days, but I know many people west of you who were still waiting for power to be restored on Friday.

I was cleaning up my branches and limbs this weekend, and had a pretty good fire going this evening! I'll have to finish next weekend though.