• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wider tracks for a Bombardier SW-48????

meanjean

I wonder if it would be worth the time & effort to widen the foot path of my SW-48? Currently 48" wide overall, the actual track width is about 14" which causes the machine to really dig in. I wonder if I should make them both 24" wide as to make the machine "float" better on deep snow? I could achieve this via two ways: offset the tracks more to one side w/o changing the wheel spacing and installing a wider track to the existing, with wider cleats or, widen the wheel base to accommodate wider tracks. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on the issue???? Let me know! Thanks.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There have been tracks that were widened to help achieve greater flotation. I see no reason why they can't be offset/asymetrical. The reality is that your machine is really heavy so it will dig in with standard tracks. Any width you can add will help but if you don't want to move your sprockets and bogie wheels out your best bet is asymmetrical tracks.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you may wan to look at t a set of wide tracks for a bombi just rememder what you pick up in floatation you will loose in tractive frce once you lighten up the foot print

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if it would be worth the time & effort to widen the foot path of my SW-48? Currently 48" wide overall, the actual track width is about 14" which causes the machine to really dig in. I wonder if I should make them both 24" wide as to make the machine "float" better on deep snow? I could achieve this via two ways: offset the tracks more to one side w/o changing the wheel spacing and installing a wider track to the existing, with wider cleats or, widen the wheel base to accommodate wider tracks. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on the issue???? Let me know! Thanks.

Look at a BR110 they are just a SW48 with wider tracks (31") we have also put 18" wide all rubber tracks on a SW48 before also

Attachments

• DSCF1024.jpg
    DSCF1024.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,592
  • DSCF0691.jpg
    DSCF0691.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,428
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 2,556

meanjean

Hmmm. I have no idea as to what a BR 110 might be???? Any insight? I see, from the picture, that the running gear, or wheel assembly has not changed with wider tracks. That was my main concern: changing the center of the weight of the machine. But if the tracks are installed in a wide manner, it dosen't seem that is affecting anything. N'est ce pas???? Thoughts? Let me know and also, about the BR110.

Thanks!!!!!

meanjean

The width is standard on the inside, as the picture of the BR110 shows, but the only difference is the outer track is set further away from the center, and nothing for further support to the bogie wheels. Also seems to be angle iron as cleats and traction medium. Interesting idea. Still, what is a BR110?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The width is standard on the inside, as the picture of the BR110 shows, but the only difference is the outer track is set further away from the center, and nothing for further support to the bogie wheels. Also seems to be angle iron as cleats and traction medium. Interesting idea. Still, what is a BR110?

Well, A BR110 comes from it having a Perkins Turbo diesel engine (110 HP)cab is a SW-48 cab sprocket get changes to a SV252 sprocket ,tires and wheels change to 5.30X12 front wheel is now a rubber torsion axle(like the newer SW-48) the cleats are a standard snow cleat. it pushes snow very well
and yet it does OK in the deeper snow (not powder). axle tube gets changed
to move the sprocket out a little further.

meanjean

Hey! Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I can see that the sprocket in the front is actually wider that what would have been installed there originally, but the bogie wheels and drive sprocket do seem off center of the tracks. Also, still a narrow band of belting used, not wider? Interesting. I do have a spare running gear from another sw-48, so I may try to remove a track and check out how it can be done. But man, it sure, my machine, digs in to the white stuff instead of floating though.

northeastheavy

If you want a BR110 in a 2 seater, same specs as the BR110, you need a BR60!! I think they are both based on the sw48 you have. I think Boggies BR110 is for sale, mine is not. Great machine!! We just got 2 feet of powder and I had the snow coming up the windshield and it just kept going and going!!!!
My first snowcat was a sw48 like yours!!!! I loved it, but not good in the deep snow and mountains here. The bigger models are heaven if you like the sw48!!!!! More room inside, power and wide tracks for deep snow!!! The br110 and br60 are like a sw48 on steroids!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,511

Eric SW 48

If you want a BR110 in a 2 seater, same specs as the BR110, you need a BR60!! I think they are both based on the sw48 you have. I think Boggies BR110 is for sale, mine is not. Great machine!! We just got 2 feet of powder and I had the snow coming up the windshield and it just kept going and going!!!!
My first snowcat was a sw48 like yours!!!! I loved it, but not good in the deep snow and mountains here. The bigger models are heaven if you like the sw48!!!!! More room inside, power and wide tracks for deep snow!!! The br110 and br60 are like a sw48 on steroids!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!
good day I too have an SW48 and are trying to resolve the float problem i see a BR for sale but am concerned about the width of the machine can you tell me how wide both the cab is and how wide the track footprint is I am struggling with my trail access the 48 fits but can go over 6 feet please let me know thanks