• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey fellas.,

I'll throw an offer on the table...

Been looking to do some diesel conversions on my end for some of my toys (the Jeep & the Thiokol), so had my client do up a quote for me from Japan to import some of those Toyota diesel engines & halfcuts.

If there is anyone with the interest, let me know, so I know how big of a container to fill to get everyone happy.

Depending on the engine setup (if its just engine/tranny/wiring or a complete halfcut) price will vary from $2000-8500 (the newer & bigger - price goes up)

Nikson

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Cool !
Can you tell us what horsepower costs how much ? And maybe what they fit originally ?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would love a 6 cylinder for a land cruiser but for me to be happy it would have to be a mechanical engine got no use for an electronic diesel way the hell out here. plus it seems a little pricey as i can get ca emission rejects for less thhan a thousand dollars.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of these engines are half-cuts from SUVs, such as LandCruiser, Hilux, 4Runner and similar 4x4s.

its the engine model you need to consider during purchase, not necessarily what it came from.

If you google any of the stated models, I believe Wikipedia shows what autos had those engines under the hood.

CA regect - would be good to find that as well, just havent been finding much of a variety at all.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the isuzus i have found are mechanicaly injected 4 cylinders with horsepower capability up to 80 horsepower. the weight is right around 300 pounds these engines came off of thermoking refer units.the down side is they are constant rpm set ups which will require some modifacation to make them work in an automotive application. i keep thinking of looking for a newer suv to put one in for my wife to drive around in that way she will get better milage than her blue broom gets now.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the isuzus i have found are mechanicaly injected 4 cylinders with horsepower capability up to 80 horsepower. the weight is right around 300 pounds these engines came off of thermoking refer units.the down side is they are constant rpm set ups which will require some modifacation to make them work in an automotive application. i keep thinking of looking for a newer suv to put one in for my wife to drive around in that way she will get better milage than her blue broom gets now.

What my research has shown (proven on facts of others conversions) that most of these engines dont have a problem with getting 20+MPG (larger ones) while producing VERY LARGE amount of torque., while the smaller ones like 1KZ-TE been installed in a 1st gen Tundra, pulling a trailer - getting 30+ MPGs...

Keeping in mind that most auto community will agree that these toyota engines are +500000 mile reliablity rating for the most part, they were made to be used in a vehicle (vs stationary use).

Conversion isnt too complicated - been done by "hand wrenches" in home garages by most guys.

P.s. on my last trip to Russia, guy showed me a 1KZ-TE install in a Jeep.
Simple fact is that bellhousings swap with the 1KZ to the one on a Jeep already (AW4 tranny) along with some other minor parts... So there is really minor mods to the actual marrying of the motor & tranny (at least on a Jeep). While some guys with Toyo's say that a lot of times even engine mounts are the same.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i have a guy up here with a cherry 80' land crusier that i would love to drop in a 6 cyl turbo diesel. if i had the money or the ability to get one of those motors with a mechanical injection system i activly try to pick it up. but with the shipping i don't think i could justify it. may lok into canada for one.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i have a guy up here with a cherry 80' land crusier that i would love to drop in a 6 cyl turbo diesel. if i had the money or the ability to get one of those motors with a mechanical injection system i activly try to pick it up. but with the shipping i don't think i could justify it. may lok into canada for one.

Well, price of the whole process isnt justifiable by no explanation...

same as dropping $20k into resto of a cat...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if i could find one on the west coast of canada than shipping can be more afordable as i always know some one bringing up a container i can toss it in

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if i could find one on the west coast of canada than shipping can be more afordable as i always know some one bringing up a container i can toss it in

my container is coming to Oregon.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I've spoken with them, but they are in Canada, still have to deal with customs.

I've never imported a used Japanese engine from Canada so I certainly don't speak from experience. A few years ago I bought a used Tucker in Canada and went there to pick it up. It was pretty painless. US Customs was more concerned about the mud on the tracks and asked where I picked it up. Their concern was about the Golden Nematode.

I'm curious, what is the difficulty with importing a used engine, especially one not even made in Canada?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never imported a used Japanese engine from Canada so I certainly don't speak from experience. A few years ago I bought a used Tucker in Canada and went there to pick it up. It was pretty painless. US Customs was more concerned about the mud on the tracks and asked where I picked it up. Their concern was about the Golden Nematode.

I'm curious, what is the difficulty with importing a used engine, especially one not even made in Canada?

EPA is the one thats making it all that difficult...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Bud, I don't doubt you for a second. The EPA can be a monstrous PITA.

But I found out about G & S from the Proffitt's Cruisers website: http://www.shoumatoff.com/~jeremiah/diesel/toyotadiesel/index.html

Proffitt's is a very highly respected company in the Land Cruiser world and their recommendation carries some weight there. I would think that if they can import those engines for a Diesel engine conversion in a Land Cruiser used on the road and subject to EPA regulations, one could more easily import one for use in an old snowcat.

[I don't think snowcat engine emissions were regulated by the EPA back when most of ours were built (1960's-1980's). I do understand they are now limiting snowcat emissions on current production machines.]

Perhaps you could call Proffitts and see how they get around the EPA's BS?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The EPA and their BS regulations for offroad vehicles and lawnmowers and anything that moves are a big part of our problems in this country. I can see some of it in big city areas but not out in the hills and wide open country. Like everything else it drives costs out of this world and adds to a bloated government.:hammer: If we all fired up all our equipment it would not be more than a spec compared to many major city areas.

undy

I'm sure EPA can be a pita to work with, but the law is on the importer's side, from what I know. If you import the entire vehicle, and it's over 21 yrs old, then it's exempted by EPA. Otherwise, if it's just a part, you've got a lot less to worry about. If it's going into an off-road vehicle, then "who cares" seems to be the attitude:

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, medium duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs), chassis-certified HDVs, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. Anyone may import a non-chassis-mounted light-duty engine for use in a motor vehicle which is currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. However, importers should be aware that several engine uses are violations of the Clean Air Act
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf

FWIW, even U.S. DOT/NHTSA exempts an entire vehicle if it's old enough. In DOT's case, 25 years old.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure EPA can be a pita to work with, but the law is on the importer's side, from what I know. If you import the entire vehicle, and it's over 21 yrs old, then it's exempted by EPA. Otherwise, if it's just a part, you've got a lot less to worry about. If it's going into an off-road vehicle, then "who cares" seems to be the attitude:

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, medium duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs), chassis-certified HDVs, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. Anyone may import a non-chassis-mounted light-duty engine for use in a motor vehicle which is currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. However, importers should be aware that several engine uses are violations of the Clean Air Act
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf

FWIW, even U.S. DOT/NHTSA exempts an entire vehicle if it's old enough. In DOT's case, 25 years old.

Well, our plan is an import broker to be used to bring in the container with those half cuts, I'm not sure of the loop holes, just speaking of the "hearsay" others been talking about.

Overall, these diesel engines are awesome, and reliability is there for lots of miles... they been known to be called "million km" engines, as long as all the regular maintenance is done on time.

I would love to see a smaller Toyo diesel up in the Cascades on my cat, running on veggie oil... - that would be something... :clap::clap::clap:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a 80 scout with a 6 cylinder nisson turbo diesel and it was good to me. some forlifts used the same engine.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a 80 scout with a 6 cylinder nisson turbo diesel and it was good to me. some forlifts used the same engine.

Yes, at this point seems that "conversion" world had found that there are few other options out there, anything off forklift & breadtrucks to engines that were used on generators.

I guess time will show - seems like US might slowly take its right steps get more diesel options with the SUVs & vehicles...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess time will show - seems like US might slowly take its right steps get more diesel options with the SUVs & vehicles...

I think they may make sense in some vehicles, and some applications, but in others...not so much.

I've had two Diesel pickups (both are Fords). The first was a 1996 and the second a 2002 (which I still have). IIRC the Diesel engine option back in '96 was around $2,800.00. In 2002 is was around $4,000.00. Diesel fuel back then almost always sold at a discount to regular gasoline.

In the mid 2000's the EPA mandated a change to Diesel fuel reducing the amount of sulfur. They subsequently mandated a change to Diesel engine particulate emissions. Caterpillar, a company whose Diesel engines enjoyed a phenomenal reputation, decided to get out of the over-the-road truck Diesel engine business because of the emissions issues.

Today the Diesel option on a new Ford is $8,000.00 and Diesel fuel (in Utah anyway) sells for more than premium gasoline.

The engines have become extremely complex and I shudder to think of the out-of-warranty repair cost on one of the new Diesels. They certainly have some advantages, but when you weigh the cost-benefit analysis I don't see them penciling out to be worth it. My$.02...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think they may make sense in some vehicles, and some applications, but in others...not so much.

I've had two Diesel pickups (both are Fords). The first was a 1996 and the second a 2002 (which I still have). IIRC the Diesel engine option back in '96 was around $2,800.00. In 2002 is was around $4,000.00. Diesel fuel back then almost always sold at a discount to regular gasoline.

In the mid 2000's the EPA mandated a change to Diesel fuel reducing the amount of sulfur. They subsequently mandated a change to Diesel engine particulate emissions. Caterpillar, a company whose Diesel engines enjoyed a phenomenal reputation, decided to get out of the over-the-road truck Diesel engine business because of the emissions issues.

Today the Diesel option on a new Ford is $8,000.00 and Diesel fuel (in Utah anyway) sells for more than premium gasoline.

The engines have become extremely complex and I shudder to think of the out-of-warranty repair cost on one of the new Diesels. They certainly have some advantages, but when you weigh the cost-benefit analysis I don't see them penciling out to be worth it. My$.02...

The concept of any such or similar conversion, either its engine or suspension on a Jeep for example - can not be evaluated and priced to see WORTH/not WORTH...

To me its not the cost of fuel, and high MPG of the diesel... its the overall goodness of having a low torque & long range with reliability...

Cletis

Actually Cat decided to support their own Vocational CT660 trucks.

Unfortunetly, instead of sticking to what they know best, Cat thinks they need to supply every machine for every need. This has been proven to be wrong time and time again. Competetors are closing in on Cat very quickly. Although I do believe Cat is far ahead when it comes to emissions.

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my understanding from our cat guy is the new cat trucks are a product of the ihc cat relationship. the cat trucks i herd would have navistar engines and basicly be a intrenational under the sheatmetal, they do kind of look like paystasrs cat droped out of the overthe road engines a few years ago and are now taking advantage of internationals over the road technolagy to produce a truck with cat,s name on it and yes cat equipment isn't what it used to be

dixopr

Do you have the dimension specs for these engines? I'm always thinking about gas to diesel conversion in the muskeg.

Laurentian

I personally have a love affair with the older mechanical VW 1.6 D 1.6 TD and 1.9TD engines. I have a fleet of clean older MKII VW's : couple Jetta's and one Golf GTI project that will get the hopped up 1.9TD. I get 800 km's with a 55 litre tank and reliability is there. Only issue is with the 1.9TD crank pulley keyway but there is a mod for installing a TDI pully to fix that issue. I have stayed away from TDI but may go to a mechanical TDI pump at one point in the future. I travel 100 km's a day reason I have stuck with this set-up. My other ride is a '95 Toy 4X4 pick-up with 22RE 4 cyl.
I will never swap it out to diesel, too much work.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
what is the weight on the 1.9 td engine keep thinking it would look good in a snow trac

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have the dimension specs for these engines? I'm always thinking about gas to diesel conversion in the muskeg.

You can google any of the models (subject line) and just see what Wikipedia says... they are pretty descriptive, and will tell you much more than I will...

I just know that those will work for my application, rest is up to each personal preference/need.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what is the weight on the 1.9 td engine keep thinking it would look good in a snow trac

some of the swaps seem problematic to me due to the fact that they are removed off a cars that are FWD, and would be a hard one to convert to a RWD (in my opinion)