• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Iris Plants.....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have been planting iris plants for the past few years. At first, I would buy them after the flowers were gone at the box stores for a buck a piece. Now, people that I know keep giving me them. I am always looking for differant colors and hope to be able to trade in a few years when these multiply. These are two that I got this past spring that were "mystery" iris. Junk..

Attachments

• MVC-039F.JPG
    MVC-039F.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 50
  • MVC-040F.JPG
    MVC-040F.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 50

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Very nice Junk. The Mrs. has the back fence line and a few other spots adorned with the bearded variety which is her favorite. I don't have any pics of this years' bloom but they were killer. She has quite a collection of colors...:applause:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They have never eaten my irises but there is plenty of food and cover on my property so no deer feel hunger pressure.

If you have a deer problem with your landscape, this will be a good reference for you. http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html
deerinlandscape.jpg

John A. Lipe (deceased)
Former Professor and Extension Horticulturist
The Texas A&M University System Deer are a major menace to Hill Country landscapes. Rural landscapes have the biggest problems, but urban landscapes often are attacked as well.

Landscape protection options are limited to fencing or other physical barriers, chemical repellents and resistant plants. Fencing is expensive and unsightly for most landscape situations. It is most practical as cage protection for small trees until the trees grow taller than the deer can reach.

Deer-resistant plants are the ideal solution; but, unfortunately, few plants are fully deer proof. Many species that are unattractive to deer when other browse is plentiful become deer candy when food is in short supply. The combination of heat and summer droughts almost invariably make late summer and fall a particularly trying time for deer-plagued areas.

Homeowners that feed deer often make the problem worse for themselves and their neighbors. Feeding of deer tends to attract more deer than can be fed and this coupled with a reduced fear of man usually adds to landscape damage.

Variability in browsing pressure plus variable taste preferences by individual deer makes it impossible to compile a fool-proof list of resistant plants -- unless the list is made very short. With this disclaimer in place, the following list of resistant plants was compiled.

Most of the plants listed are from my own observations, as well as suggestions by Fredericksburg nurseryman-landscapers John Dodds, Ken Schindler and Chester Langerhans. Numerous other individuals have also provided input.

Large Trees

None have been observed to be resistant enough to leave unprotected. Fortunately, trees can be caged until they grow taller than the deer when small. The best approach is to make a cage around each tree until it grows beyond the deer's reach.

Small Trees or Large Shrubs

Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis)3
Fig (Ficus spp.)
Flameleaf Sumac (Rhus lanceolata)3
Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora)1 3
Roughleaf dogwood (Cornus drummondii)3 4
Texas Buckeye (Acsculus arguta)3 4
Texas Persimmon (Deer-Resistant Landscape Plants)

Shrubs

Abelia (Abelia spp.)
Acuba (Acuba japonica)4
Agarita (Berberis trifoliolata)1 3
Autumn Aster (Aster spp.)2
Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii)1 3 4
Blackberry (Rubus spp.) (thorny only)2 3
Boxwood (Buxus microphylla)1
Ceniza/Texas Sage (Leucophyllum spp.)3
Cotoneaster (Coral Beauty) (Cotoneaster dammeri)1
Dwarf Chinese Holly (Ixex cornuta)
Dwarf Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria)1 3
Eleagnus (Eleagnus spp.)
Evergreen sumac (Rhus virens)3
Fragrant mimosa (Mimosa borealis)3
Germander (Teucrium spp.)
Goldcup (Hypericum spp.)
Japanese arealia (Arelia sieboldii)
Jerusalem Cherry (Solanum pseudocapsicum)
Juniper (Juniperus spp.)2 3
Lantana (Lantana horrida) (natives resistant, hybrids not)3
Lavender (Lavandula spp.)
Mexican Buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa)3
Mexican Oregano (Poliomintha longifolia)
Mexican silktassle (Garrya lindheimeri)3
Nandina (Nandina spp.)2 4
Oleander (Nerium oleander)1
Pampas Grass (Cortaderia spp.)
Pyracantha (Pyracantha coccinea)2
Red-leaf or Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii)
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)1
Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius)
Turks cap (Malvaviscus arboreus)3 4
Wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera)2 3

Perennial Succulents and Lilies

Cacus (opuntia spp.) any with stout spines1 3
Hen and chickens (Sempervivum spp.) (spiny varieties)
Lily of the Nile (Agapanthus spp.)
Red Yucca (Hesperalae parvifloria) --flowers eaten3
Sacahuista/Bear Grass/Nolina (Nolina spp.)3
Sotol (Dasylirion spp.)3
Yucca (Yucca spp.)3

Vines

Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens)
Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)2

Ground Covers

Aarons Beard (Hypericum calycinum)
Asiatic Jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)2
Carpet Bugle (Aiuga reptans)2 4
Monkey grass (Ophiopogon japonica)2
Myrtle (Vinca major)4
Santolina (Santolina spp.)1 3
Spearmint (Menta spicata)3
Thyme (Thymus spp.)

Flowers, Ferns, Herbs

Ageratum (Ageratum spp.)
Begonia (Begonia spp.)2
Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)3
Blackfoot Daisy (Melampodium lecanthum)3
Bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis)3
Cast-Iron Plant (Aspidistra lurida)4
Cedar Sage (Salvia roemeriana)1 3 4
Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum spp.) (flowers eaten)
Coreopsis (Coreopsis spp.)3
Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus)
Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria)1
Flame Acanthus (Anisacanthus wrightii)
Foxglove (Digitalis spp.)3
Holly Fern (Cyrtomium falicatum)4
Indigo Spires (Salvia spp.)
Iris (Iris spp.)2
Mealy Blue Sage (Salvia farinacea)1 3
Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucanthia)2
Mexican Mint Marigold (Tagetes spp.)1
Periwinkle (Vinca rosea)1
Purple Cone Flower (Echinacea angustifolia)2 3
Savory (Satureia spp.)
Sword Fern (Nephrolepis spp.)4
Verbena (Verbena spp.)3
Wood Fern (Dryopteris spp.)3 4
Yarrow (Achillea filipendulina)3
Zexmenia (Zexmenia hispida)3
Zinnia (Zinnia spp.)2

Key to comments 1 Rarely if ever eaten
2 Observed heavily eaten under pressure
3 Texas Natives
4 Shade tolerant For further information on deer resistant plants, see the article on Camouflage Gardening which contains an extensive list of deer-resistant plants as well as the site titled Deer Control in the Garden.​

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
PBinWA said:
Do deer eat irises?

They don't do anything to them except trample by accident, so they are forgiven for that. They have eaten the Hosta, and in one area, they pulled it out by the roots to eat. What they eat will grow back, but what they pull out won't. I just got some more decorative Hosta and don't know where to plant it that they won't go after it. Seems that the only place that they haven't gone to is the deck. One day, I expect to find them on there also.... Junk..

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup - in the fall and early spring they'll eat my hostas too. They actually do a good job of pruning them back.

Looks like Irises are another good option for the garden. We have some wild ones around that I've transplanted (only found 3 on my property). There's a good patch on an empty lot nearby that I may dig up.

PB

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The deer are getting pretty thick in our area in town. They are thinking of starting up a bow season for them in town. You will need a special permit and some training I guess.

murph

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Those are interesting, especially the blue one.

My chief cook has been raising Iris for many years. The first pic is part of them this spring. The second is one from her grandmother, who bred this particular color (the purple is another flower behind it).

Attachments

• iris_1.jpg
    iris_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Iris_2.jpg
    Iris_2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
With all the rain that we have had, I am surprised that this Iris just opened for the first time. I purchased a package of rhizomes at Walmart this spring and planted them in pots to get them started. Never got around to putting them in the ground. It is called "Full Tide" and is a very dark purple, almost black. The package showed it as being a dark blue. I am of the belief that the packager just puts in anything that is close to the picture knowing that it will take months before the customer will learn the true color. I doubt that 1 in a million would ever complain. It is a difficult color to find.

Attachments

• Full Tide (600 x 450).jpg
    Full Tide (600 x 450).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 22

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have some basic iris plants but I don't think much of them. I've always wanted to plant a mass of Japanese Irises. I think they are much more attractive and the bloom sizes can be as large as a dinner plate. My soil and conditions would really require met to make a dedicated area for them and bring in some real soil, my hard clay wouldn't work too well.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had some beautiful iris in my vicarage garden, I thought I had brought them with me, but no luck, only pale purple ones. The ones I lost were like golden crowns on a purple cushion, such a shame, they were lovely. The photographs in the previous posts were lovely. Congratulations to all concerned.