• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2020 Sno Cat Clowder ( FEBRUARY 1, 2020 )

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The first Saturday in February is the 2/1/2020

We technically don't have a golden spike to celebrate the meeting of the East and West coast over the snow enthusiast, but I bet I could find a COPPER one.

So Yes, the invite is standing.

The event sponsor list is growing.

The event rules are shrinking.

( well technically that is a false statement, we only have one rule in the By-laws as set forth by our host.
Rule one: there are no rules. should decide to create rules, you will be tolerated as opposed to welcomed here )

the previous years participants have been building towards a winter camp as an optional track.
the group has secured a rendezvous style canvas tent, wood stove and
are wanting to deploy.

as details come in they will reside here in this thread.

Many Big enhancements are in the works.
so to recap for Newer members or those not wanting to over think the Get together.

It is a one day event that takes four days to fit it in.

Day one
is a Forest trail ride organized by the folks based on who is in town and what they want to experience ( ranges from wild to mild)
Day two
is a little more organized family experience based around a Campfire lunch stop, family's and smiles dictate the navigation and to some extent the destination. time for Mountain biking, skiing and snowshoeing at the turn is encouraged...... ( past participants please expand )
Day three
is geared towards our host. 8-12pm the cats are on public display and most folks are enjoying the amenities of big powder horns complex. ( some have been known to repair broken equipment )
Sau-na (rhymes with cow-na)
pool,
cross country ski,
down hill ski and boarding
Off site options
Local micro brew tours
shopping trips
industry tours of various mfg arranged if requested

around 1pm ( in the midwest it's known as after Lunch) there are snow cat games scheduled and crowds form quick. Great opportunity to share the machines with folks that have never considered the Hobby (better stated Habit.)

Day three is a saturday the 1st of Feb. So as the games settle down and the winners beam with pride [usually around 4 (Dusk)] there is a drivers meeting and the snow cats are prepared for a sunset cruise of the facility culminating in a dinner program.
this dinner program is a great time. putting a face to a username and building community is very enjoyable almost as much fun as the associated teasing and awards and gift sharing.

:weneedpic

there is various swag, created and shared to break even on expense....

It is a great event with something for everybody

lift tickets, ski and or board rentals are at an steeply discounted rate, Lodging packages are a tremendous value and are snow cat-able

Heated shops available
Plug ins about every where for those pampered diesels from temperate climes.......

so that is enough for now stay tuned for details and make plans to attend.

any questions PM me for my phone and Call me.
Search snow cat Clowder 2015,2016,2017,2018,2019 as review the content on social media and here in the forums......

This year is shaping up to be epic, this is not the year to miss it.....

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because threads with out pictures suck

Attachments

• 47680618_10157480605634240_3126780713118990336_o.jpg
    47680618_10157480605634240_3126780713118990336_o.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 730
  • Screenshot_20181204-205617.jpg
    Screenshot_20181204-205617.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 695
  • Screenshot_20190208-074629.jpg
    Screenshot_20190208-074629.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 690

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
west coast tucker mafia will be attending, what say you, east coast tucker mafia?

more folks than than last time

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
How much kool-aid has orangesqwrl been drinking?
“2020 Sno Cat Clowder”

I can bring an off-brand snowcat if off-brand machines are invited

Anyone else in the off-brand mafia going to be there?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This event has a large showing of two track good 4 track bad folk. Personally I never met a sno(w)cat I didn't like.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For those on the Coast it would be a good idea to dress for the mid West...

It was -25 the first morning last year, and if your cat is in good shape you cross your fingers and hope it will start. West of lake Superior it was -43 in Grand Forks, because they don't get any warmth off of the lake.. :whistling:

We saw I would say well over 500 dead semi's on the side of I35 between Ames and the twin cities. You know it is cold when the LCD screen on the Diesel pumps in the Truck stops are all blank...

Hopefully this years event will bring some moderate temps. But be warned to be prepared for temps you may not be used to.

Some say this is what separates the men from the boys lol... This could be and has been a true Arctic experience here in the States lol...

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
How much kool-aid has orangesqwrl been drinking?
“2020 Sno Cat Clowder”

I can bring an off-brand snowcat if off-brand machines are invited

Anyone else in the off-brand mafia going to be there?

well, he was seen on the west coast at the great summit gathering of grousers, and he was surround by orange...he has gone orange...:eatdrink::eatdrink::eatdrink:

I love non-orange cats

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

It was -25 the first morning last year, and if your cat is in good shape you cross your fingers and hope it will start. West of lake Superior it was -43 in Grand Forks, because they don't get any warmth off of the lake.. :whistling:

We saw I would say well over 500 dead semi's on the side of I35 between Ames and the twin cities. You know it is cold when the LCD screen on the Diesel pumps in the Truck stops are all blank...

Hopefully this years event will bring some moderate temps. But be warned to be prepared for temps you may not be used to.

Some say this is what separates the men from the boys lol... This could be and has been a true Arctic experience here in the States lol...

Regards, Kirk

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
even though I am just a visitor to Yooper land,

I think it would a real hoot if any and all tucker kittens were to come to the clowder,

"clowder of kittens"

I can see a run on kittens at target (tucker sno cat inc)

get your kitten now, and see ya at the kitten clowder

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
couple things come to mind.

Cold is a reality. but topless tuckers can and have handled it, so can the full ( enclosed) cabs.
Sno cat owners have feelings, so yes it was mis-spelled on purpose.... to preserve the one or two feelings they have left.... they spent the rest of their feelings on rollers and patience, both needed to properly operate those orange ones......
diversity is real, You will not find a more diverse group. it is truly a, all for one, one for all event.. the lippy-ness is just for color

olympicorange

...sounds like a ''cool'' event....R,R,R,,, can I ask a silly question....whereabouts is the location of this get together... being new and all... thx ...

alryA

It would be near Bessemer MI at Powerhorn ski area. This is in the UP of MI and very near Hurley WI. Not to be confused with anything below the bridge... :smile:

...sounds like a ''cool'' event....R,R,R,,, can I ask a silly question....whereabouts is the location of this get together... being new and all... thx ...

Last edited:

alryA

Attachments

• wallygromitpowderhorn2.jpg
    wallygromitpowderhorn2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 633
  • wallygromitpowerhorn.jpg
    wallygromitpowerhorn.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 643
  • wallygromitpowerhorn1.jpg
    wallygromitpowerhorn1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 641
  • wallygromitpowerhor4.jpg
    wallygromitpowerhor4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
couple things come to mind.

Cold is a reality. but topless tuckers can and have handled it, so can the full ( enclosed) cabs.
Sno cat owners have feelings, so yes it was mis-spelled on purpose.... to preserve the one or two feelings they have left.... they spent the rest of their feelings on rollers and patience, both needed to properly operate those orange ones......
diversity is real, You will not find a more diverse group. it is truly a, all for one, one for all event.. the lippy-ness is just for color

ah mr squirrel, sir:

we, the sno cat owners, do have feelings and lots of them from each pump of the grease gun, lubing all 248 rollers ( and if you own a 2 pontoon machine, it is just 124 rollers ) on our beloved orange machine, and as the saying goes in the GTL, hold my grease gun and hand me more aspirin.......:eatdrink::eatdrink::eatdrink:

looking forward the kitten clowder 2020

and squirrel you thought I would let your lippy-ness GO unnoticed

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ah mr squirrel, sir:

we, the sno cat owners, do have feelings and lots of them from each pump of the grease gun, lubing all 248 rollers

That would be assuming we are all working with the full contingent . . .

Respectfully,

The One Grouser Short Club of 'Merica

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

So, you're saying to pack an additional set of those white waffle long johns and a spare set of Alabama Woolens (jeans)?? :smile:

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Coldest I saw along the way

But it was a sunny -34

Attachments

• 169D6005-EB73-44A0-A359-F2CC0F0FCA56.jpg
    169D6005-EB73-44A0-A359-F2CC0F0FCA56.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 610

alryA

Just to help you fellows get back on the correct weather track. We resided in the Powderhorn area for 7 years, then we moved to this location which again, is along the south shore of the little lake but 2 hours drive east. We've been here in Houghton for past 18+ years. On the south shore of the lake, the temp rarely gets down to zero. This happens because cooler winter temps come from the northerly weather patterns but the little lake warms the air up as it comes across the lake. Yes it gets cooler than zero, but very few times a winter. Here is a few shoreline photos where we stand on over 20ft of shove ice.

Attachments

• Porkies ice A&G (DL).jpg
    Porkies ice A&G (DL).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Porkies ice breaking off.S&G.jpg
    Porkies ice breaking off.S&G.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 525
  • Porkies ice deraest.jpg
    Porkies ice deraest.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 540
  • Porkies ice pernisula. A&G.jpg
    Porkies ice pernisula. A&G.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 532
  • Porkies ice S&G.jpg
    Porkies ice S&G.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 524

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That would be assuming we are all working with the full contingent . . .

Respectfully,

The One Grouser Short Club of 'Merica

:th_lmao:

the majority of the midwest group is a grouser short.......

in regards to the actual cats.... it is not uncommon for a full 31 grouser 400 series cat to be sporting less than 62 rollers...... Blocks of poly, and air fill the void equally well.

tie straps/links can often be found leading the groups back to safety.....

And Yes, cutting across canadia from buffalo to Detroit and going up there is a nice way to avoid Chicago.......

I will offer again and restate it as necessary, Picking folks up at airports or leaving cars at air ports is a sincere reality. There are a limited amount of arrive and drive snow cat options if you are qualified.......

this year is shaping up to be an epic event, make plans to find a way

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arly makes a great point, don't let last years freak cold snap be a strong theme. It is usually like a snow globe, with multiple snow rainbows visible.

and Back yard Ski Lima is right, sunny and humid -34 is way better than that dry and dark sub zero....

I just enjoy the 300+ inches of snow potential that the iron belt has. the road system is expertly maintained and sand is the prominent traction aid...

salt is for the sally's in WI. WD 40 the machine. wrap a tarp around the front and go. there are great heated pressure wand type car washes and they have tall doors to pull the whole rig into.....

And Yes for google maps purposes. Bessemer is the address. most folks fly into Duluth.

with many folks towing to the event MSP, ATW, GRB, even ORD is easy peasy to pick up mad catters

alryA

Thanks to red squirrel for putting this event on. :thumbup: Here is snow photos taken from our yard this past winter. Who all will we see at Powderhorn this winter?? We reside two hours drive east of IW so if anyone cares to stop over here, do feel welcome to do so. The mutts would love that!

Attachments

• snow2019.jpg
    snow2019.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 537
  • snow20191.jpg
    snow20191.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 511
  • snowgo2019.jpg
    snowgo2019.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Talked with one of the Founders of the event.

If there is interest.......

The event is considering a limited position raffle of a machine.

After a brief chat, it became clear that there are a number of machines to choose from.

There are a couple of caveats to consider:

The raffle license would likely be a WI permit. ( the event might have to happen a short 2 miles away from the host)
The machine would be an as-is offering.
The Ticket price would cover the cost of machine with the profit going to a worthy not-for-profit recipient. ( the event tries to hit local food pantry efforts, educational scholarships and Veteran efforts now)
I am thinking a volunteer board of advisers would handle most of this...

As it is an idea at this point, what are your thoughts.......

100 - $100 could satisfy a 4500 tucker 500 expenses and 5000 donation to a charity of some sort.

Feel free to tear at this and take the fun out of it......

After all it is just an idea to get rid of a usable tucker and raise some money for the community.....

Thoughts?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Talked with one of the Founders of the event.

If there is interest.......

The event is considering a limited position raffle of a machine.

After a brief chat, it became clear that there are a number of machines to choose from.

There are a couple of caveats to consider:

The raffle license would likely be a WI permit. ( the event might have to happen a short 2 miles away from the host)
The machine would be an as-is offering.
The Ticket price would cover the cost of machine with the profit going to a worthy not-for-profit recipient. ( the event tries to hit local food pantry efforts, educational scholarships and Veteran efforts now)
I am thinking a volunteer board of advisers would handle most of this...

As it is an idea at this point, what are your thoughts.......

100 - $100 could satisfy a 4500 tucker 500 expenses and 5000 donation to a charity of some sort.

Feel free to tear at this and take the fun out of it......

After all it is just an idea to get rid of a usable tucker and raise some money for the community.....

Thoughts?

I am in, sounds great and good cause....

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder how many lucky feeling people will show up with an empty trailer.

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
100 bucks sounds like a cheap start to a cat? if i fly in can i drive it back to jersey? may take a while

that would be a feat. Get guiness book of world records on the line......

a run across the USA, using walmarts for the only thing they are good for.Think of all those Ditch and bridge crossings. A trip of that nature would make crossing either pole look sane!

in some cases, that might be a lifetime amount of miles and hours in one tripp!