• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte dash power

telbert

At the top of my gauge panel is what appears to be a circuit breaker that feeds the temp, oil, and fuel gauges. It is almost acting as a flasher, only giving 12 v sporadically. If I jumper it, temp and oil go to max.. My new fuel gauge needs full 12v, so I'll wire accordingly. What is this, it's not in my manual.

Back of gauges.jpg

rfx

Its called a bimetallic instrument voltage regulator and its used to feed those gauges on their "power" side

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that looks like the back side of my Studebaker truck's dash,guages and all.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
its a voltage regulator chevy used to use them back in the 70's too. I feeds an on off signal just like a flasher unit.

telbert

Thanks guys. Haven't seen one of these before. Will try the fuel sender and see if it needs full 12v or works with the regulator.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my Studebaker truck has that breaker but on the lights. every 1o minutes it kicks out then comes back on when it cools. I never have fixed it because lack of parts.

telbert

Some of those snap in to the fuse holder on the back of the headlight switch. Just get a new one, generic. Check to see why it's drawing so much. It may be fine, and you have a short in your wiring.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks, it is a built in breaker in the pull light switch. I may be able to bypass and add my own.but it's best to correct the problem. jim

dep6113

so I think I ran into this on my friends machine---had 6 volt gauges in it. he put a new fuel gauge (12 volt) in it and couldn't get them to work together. had to wire around it like you mentioned for the new gauge.