• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Repositioning Cruise ?????

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Have you done one ? Did you like it .

My wife and I had a dear British friend come down to Panama for a couple weeks this past winter and on his return to Europe Via through the United States he was picking up a "repositioning cruise" on Costa Cruise lines to Europe . It was 17 days and something like 10 ports of call "all inclusive" minus Alcohol/Shore excursions tours.
He had a blast and saved a bundle over one way air fare to Europe . Average age was about 50 year old travelers . Total cost was $649 or you could get a outside cabin for $100 more !!!!! He went with the upgrade .

We are thinking , after talking with him ,of traveling to China via this method . The cruise lines are more interested in getting the ship repositioned for the upcoming tourist season and are attempting to help in offsetting moving cost .

Price sure seems fair . Anyone else done one???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey ! They Costa Cruises is headed back on Nov2 ,2008 to the states . Anybody looking for a cheap cruise ??

Genoa, Italy, to Ft. Lauderdale, 15 nights, departing Nov. 2, Costa Cruise Lines Costa Fortuna, starting at $649 per person.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been thinking about doing one of the Windjammer BFCs some day. They have repositioning cruises as well, but ya gotta make sure you don't accidently book one of their 'theme' cruises. :pat:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I've been thinking about doing one of the Windjammer BFCs some day. They have repositioning cruises as well, but ya gotta make sure you don't accidently book one of their 'theme' cruises. :pat:
We spent a week on their Flying Cloud back in the day. All over the Caribbean starting from Tortola. The crew kept talking up Clothing Optional, but there were no takers the week we spent with them.

I went looking for info a couple of days ago to write something for the vacation thread here, and it looks like they are out of business. Somebody correct me if you know more, but a brief online search indicated:

For 2007 season they collected the entire season's advance fares - then folded.

BFC has been under pressure from the families of the 31 crewmembers who went down with the Fantome, during Hurricane Mitch, (1998?).

The Fantome wasn't insured. There isn't any money for those families. A diving forum had posts indicating its pumps could barely stay ahead of the leaks in calm water.

With Mitch threatening, they parked the passengers ashore and took it to sea since there were no good harbors in the region. It would have been pushed up halfway to downtown, where they left the passengers. But at 9mph tops it couldn't outrun the storm. Nothing but minimal debris has ever been found.

The Flying Cloud is retired and parked somewhere in the Caribbean. When we were on it, it was gorgeous, but it was falling apart. Some friends had booked two weeks, and they spent the second week in port as a ready-to-snap main mast was slowly removed and replaced. They didn't get a refund or voucher or anything.

So - no more Barefoot Cruises, sadly.