Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 PM

mtnlifestyle is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical issue?

Hi all, This group was so helpful last time (I have a new to me LiteFoot). I have gotten all the hydraulics and electrical fixed and even drove it around a bit. The other day after working on some other items I thought it best to start her up. It was cranking over just fine getting ready to run and then I lost all electrical power. I thought perhaps it was the ignition as it had been not making great contact so I replaced. Once I actually checked the power however I am not getting any power to my ignition. The starter solenoid has power to it but the engine will not turn over. No instrument lights, radio etc. What can I be missing? Battery is fine. For the life of me I can not locate a fuse box anywhere. Some items are fused separately (lights, stereo, etc.). Engine is an inline 6 Ford 200 (1976 Mustang). Help? Any ideas what it could be? TIA.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

olympicorange is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electrical issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlifestyle View Post
Hi all, This group was so helpful last time (I have a new to me LiteFoot). I have gotten all the hydraulics and electrical fixed and even drove it around a bit. The other day after working on some other items I thought it best to start her up. It was cranking over just fine getting ready to run and then I lost all electrical power. I thought perhaps it was the ignition as it had been not making great contact so I replaced. Once I actually checked the power however I am not getting any power to my ignition. The starter solenoid has power to it but the engine will not turn over. No instrument lights, radio etc. What can I be missing? Battery is fine. For the life of me I can not locate a fuse box anywhere. Some items are fused separately (lights, stereo, etc.). Engine is an inline 6 Ford 200 (1976 Mustang). Help? Any ideas what it could be? TIA.
.. hello MLS,... if you don't smell, or see evidence of an electrical ''voltage drop'' to ground ( short),... then it sounds like you have what we call,..an ''open'' . which restricts voltage from making a circuit complete,.. in this case the ''primary'' circuit ; which usually consist of the ; batteries, cables, starter , charging components, power distribution components, (relays, circuit breakers, fuse box,),...( large amperage side ),.. a D.V.O.M.,. is very helpful,... starting at the batteries, and work down stream. but a quick test I like to do ( ensure vehicle won't move if engine is started), is access the starter solenoid, locate the ''S'' wire terminal (key sw.), and engage pos. (+) terminal. if starter ''cranks, continue on with power supplies to unit. if it doesn't, then your main primary supply is the issue; corroded/loose connections, burnt/broken cable, batteries, loose starter solenoid terminal (stud) , lug ends, starter, etc. and if that's the case, then lots of the time, when you get the starter to work, the rest follows,... happy hunting....
The Following User Says Thank You to olympicorange For This Useful Post:
sno-drifter (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,656 Times in 665 Posts
redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

as stated above,,,,
Go wiggle your battery clamps, you may have simply lost your ground connection......

I had a butt kicking experience with a DT466 IH engine and some bonding straps I installed with out preparing the mating surfaces......

I deserved my experience, it was the wire/cable to battery clamp connection completely unrelated to the bonding straps, but convince yourself while working around it......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redsqwrl For This Useful Post:
Bobcatbob (11-11-2019), sno-drifter (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road

The next one to check, put the positive led of the meter on the + terminal of the battery. the - on the starter terminal connected to battery. Apply load (headlights)and see what the voltage does. it should only be fractional volt, but you may see several volts. I've been tricked by the potted battery terminals being corroded where you can't see it. it looked good, but had only a couple of fine wires left.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidertom For This Useful Post:
sno-drifter (11-06-2019), Snowcat Pat (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,037 Times in 396 Posts
PJL is on a distinguished road

Also look for fusible links. They can burn out and the insulation looks fine. They look like a piece of wire, not like a fuse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJL For This Useful Post:
m1west (11-06-2019), sno-drifter (11-06-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

olympicorange is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlifestyle View Post
.. what did you find.....
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 PM
member formerly known as dds

Thanked 1,060 Times in 653 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

I to have a light foot just an older non hydro model those talking battery termanals might be right on. Also check for an engine ground to frame on my light foot the battery grounds to the frame and there should be a strap between the engine and frame. mine doesn't have that strap on it so the engine is finding ground through the engine mounting hardware which isn't good.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool