Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Health and Fitness Forum

Health and Fitness Forum diet and exercise

Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 21,786 Times in 7,851 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough
Default Why I eat Butter

Currently, I eat some butter and some margarine. This give me reason to change to all butter.
Attached Images

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (10-11-2019), Big Dog  (10-10-2019), FrancSevin (10-09-2019), jim slagle  (10-11-2019), m1west (10-12-2019), pirate_girl (10-09-2019), pixie (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 9,332 Times in 3,018 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why I eat Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Currently, I eat some butter and some margarine. This give me reason to change to all butter.
When French chemists first created margarine, it was to feed to geese to make goose liver pâté' The geese died. So Napoleon fed the crap to his troops. It turns out that margarine is one molecule away from being "plastic.!' ONE big reason not to consume it,,,; margarine needs no refrigeration.

Butter OTOH does.

When my wife and I married, we both came from poor households that ate Margarine. We agreed, it would never be on our table.

Fifty years later we are both healthy and it, margarine, has never sat in at our dinner.

I cook almost exclusively with butter and olive oils. Better than a pound a week of the creamy yellow gift from God. Oddly, I don't put it on my bread.

I place margerine in the same category as Fructose' Not fit for human consumption.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (10-11-2019), Doc  (10-09-2019), jim slagle  (10-09-2019), jimbo (10-10-2019), m1west (10-12-2019), mla2ofus (10-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member

Bannedjoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
When French chemists first created margarine, it was to feed to geese to make goose liver pâté' The geese died. So Napoleon fed the crap to his troops. It turns out that margarine is one molecule away from being "plastic.!' ONE big reason not to consume it,,,; margarine needs no refrigeration.

Butter OTOH does.

When my wife and I married, we both came from poor households that ate Margarine. We agreed, it would never be on our table.

Fifty years later we are both healthy and it, margarine, has never sat in at our dinner.

I cook almost exclusively with butter and olive oils. Better than a pound a week of the creamy yellow gift from God. Oddly, I don't put it on my bread.

I place margarine in the same category as Fructose' Not fit for human consumption.
We really should go even further and add things like aspartame, saccharine, and anything thing else that isn't what it's pretending to be.

And screw those assholes who try to make turkey into bacon while we're at it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bannedjoe For This Useful Post:
Doc  (10-10-2019), FrancSevin (10-10-2019), jimbo (10-10-2019), m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,692 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannedjoe View Post
We really should go even further and add things like aspartame, saccharine, and anything thing else that isn't what it's pretending to be.

And screw those assholes who try to make turkey into bacon while we're at it.
Like Franc, I grew up in a poor household. We ate margarine. My father used to call it "butter's brother". Sorry dad, not even close but a good try at convincing me. When I got out on my own margarine never graced my table again. That has been 50 years now and no regrets what-so-ever.

Joe, I'm no fan of turkey bacon but when I worked in Egypt it was all that we could get for breakfast. For the lack of anything else that came anywhere close to the real thing I got to tolerate it and ate it every morning. When I landed in Frankfurt on the way home my first stop was at any restaurant that served an "English Breakfast". Oh! I used to savor every bite.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
Doc  (10-10-2019), FrancSevin (10-10-2019), jim slagle  (10-11-2019), m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 AM
Bronze Member

Bannedjoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
Like Franc, I grew up in a poor household. We ate margarine. My father used to call it "butter's brother". Sorry dad, not even close but a good try at convincing me. When I got out on my own margarine never graced my table again. That has been 50 years now and no regrets what-so-ever.

Joe, I'm no fan of turkey bacon but when I worked in Egypt it was all that we could get for breakfast. For the lack of anything else that came anywhere close to the real thing I got to tolerate it and ate it every morning. When I landed in Frankfurt on the way home my first stop was at any restaurant that served an "English Breakfast". Oh! I used to savor every bite.
Oh the turkey bacon thing was more of a joke really.

But it seems that trying to make food out stuff that isn't, or shouldn't be, can't possibly be any good for us.
Also the other things like poisoning pubic drinking water with fluoride and chlorine can't be good either.

It's not natural, and it's not right.
I'm certain that many of these things can be traced back to the start of many health and cancer problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bannedjoe For This Useful Post:
Doc  (10-10-2019), m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 30,018 Times in 10,041 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Why I eat Butter

Butter is real.
The End
300 H and H (10-11-2019), Doc  (10-10-2019), jim slagle  (10-11-2019), m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,889 Times in 707 Posts
jimbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I grew up during WW II. By no means wealthy. Butter was both out of our budget and not always available. Anybody else remember the white margarine that came in a plastic bag with a color capsule that you massaged into the margarine with your hands? We ate what we grew, caught, or shot.

I'm 81, still buy very little that comes in a box. Salt nothing. Haven't seen margarine or Crisco in decades, and have run up a lifetime drug bill of less than a hundred bucks. I'll stick with my plan for 15 or so more years.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I grew up during WW II. By no means wealthy. Butter was both out of our budget and not always available. Anybody else remember the white margarine that came in a plastic bag with a color capsule that you massaged into the margarine with your hands?

I'm 81, still buy very little that comes in a box. Salt nothing. Haven't seen margarine or Crisco in decades, and have run up a lifetime drug bill of less than a hundred bucks. I'll stick with my plan for 15 or so more years.
I'm 72 and have spent a little more than you on pharmaceuticals. Yes, I do remember the white sh!t.
I have a box of salt that has the price of 19 cents hand stamped on it. No bar codes. About half gone, we use it for company.

Crisco make a great "lubricant" We use it in our food grade processing equipment. But not at home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
Doc  (10-10-2019), jimbo (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,397 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Back in the day my fathers home town was just a few miles from the Minnesota border and a gas station capitalized on the white margarine with the yellow tablet for color..
In Iowa we could buy the already colored Varity, but not so in Minnesota. The station owner rented a semi trailer full of colored margarine, and sold tons of this to people coming over the border for "color" margarine. This went on for quite a number of years. Fill you car with gas and bring home the colored substitute in one trip...
Years later I introduced my college fraternity members to the real stuff one morning unannounced. It was amazing the positive reaction real butter got, as many had never had it, ever.... poor kids..
I hate margarine in anything...

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
The Following User Says Thank You to 300 H and H For This Useful Post:
m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 8,679 Times in 3,582 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

We switched to butter a few years ago but still keep a tub of margarine at camp as it keeps longer. But it sits unused as nobody else wants to use it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,692 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

And don't forget cooking!!!! I know that extra virgin olive oil is trendy these days and we use it a lot but there are some things that just taste better when cooked in butter.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (10-11-2019), m1west (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
And don't forget cooking!!!! I know that extra virgin olive oil is trendy these days and we use it a lot but there are some things that just taste better when cooked in butter.

Here's a hint you may already know..;
One thick pat of butter in 1/4 cup of olive oil will give you that all butter taste.

Until it is turned into margarine, there is nothing wrong with vegetable oil. It can be heated higher (for deep frying) than olive oil. And canola is lower in saturated fats. I use it sparingly and almost always add,,,;Butter.