• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saw this Tracked Machine on the highway...What is it?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Clearly something used for construction. The tracks are thick rubber, obviously for flotation on soft ground but clearly not for snow.

Any idea who makes it and what its common uses are?

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 634

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
its a mooroka they have become quite popular up here for crossing tundra with the rubber tracks and hydrostatic drive they don't tear up as much ground they are a heavy vehicle and don't work well as a snow cat but work wonderful in soft ground

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don nailed it. They are like a tracked dump truck although they are fitted with other body configurations as well. They are real popular with pipeline crews and utility companies that don't get to choose their terrain. I have seen them on hills down in PA. where it looks almost too steep to walk. Basically a truck that can follow a D10 up and down mountains.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
they ain't quite as impressive as you make them out to be the hydro drive systems i found to be a bit touchy the tracks suck if you spin them in gumbo type mud than you have no traction. but other than being slow they are quite impressive what they can do and how much weight they can move across crappy ground

chevro

Don nailed it. They are like a tracked dump truck although they are fitted with other body configurations as well. They are real popular with pipeline crews and utility companies that don't get to choose their terrain. I have seen them on hills down in PA. where it looks almost too steep to walk. Basically a truck that can follow a D10 up and down mountains.

I have seen one owend by the power company fitted with a sprayer. used for killing weed under the high lines going up and down steep hills