• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What a tomato!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Plum & San Marzano's have been coming in for the past few weeks. Today I got my first Beefsteak. Tips the scales at almost 18oz! I have some that look to be close to 2 pounds when they finally ripen. Miracle Grow is a good thing. :yum:

]2013-09-03 12.18.17.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Mama Mia, Datza bigga tomato senior.

I giot my first tomatoes today as well. 15 fruits that didn't tip the scale past a lb. Most the size of golf balls.

Between the heat and the varmits, I haven't had a pickable fruit all summer.

I love Beefsteak. Ugly but goooood!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your tomatoes are just coming in now (or over the past 2 weeks)?

Ours are just about done. We've canned 8 or 9 batches so far for a total of well over 100 quarts.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Your tomatoes are just coming in now (or over the past 2 weeks)?

Ours are just about done. We've canned 8 or 9 batches so far for a total of well over 100 quarts.

This is north of the woodchucks, my man. Unless you can cover them all one should not even plant tomatoes until the middle of June or so. Late start = late maters. :biggrin:

As a matter of fact, first frost predicted for Thursday evening into Friday morning.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, gotcha. I got mine in before Memorial Day. They got hit with frost then but on the heavy frost, I had them covered so they made it. They struggled after the later 2 light frosts but pulled through.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ours are ripening like mad this past week. Need to get on them and put a bunch away in the freezer. The flavor is terrific. Had a few on sandwiches and in a casserole.

Andrei

Banned
Few yrs back I grew some experimental giant tomatoes.
Four plants.
One planting hole was filled with shrimp shells and other with dry seaweed and other with fish heads stored in the freezer for this and the last with pigeon droppings.
Plants grew supported and ended up over 9 feet tall and as thick as my hand at the base.
Few tomatoes tipped the scale over 2 lbs.
I will look for the pictures.