• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Water fountain - but not wanted

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oops....

I was on the roof today caulking up leaking skylights and blowing out the gutters.:thumb:

I have a slow sink at the highest level but the trap an such is clear.:mad:

Oh, what the heck... Lets stick the leaf blower (being used for cleaning out the gutters) down the sewer vent for a few seconds to assure it's clear and not the issue with the upper sink.

Now... I'm on the roof and can't hear a thing since I'm running the blower.

Mrs. Zoom is in the bathroom (but I didn't know that...).

I stick the end of the blower over the sewer vent and give it a blast for about 5 seconds.

15 seconds later, Mrs. Zoom comes running out the door screaming (and soaked).

Did you know that if you blow a lot of air (if only for 5 seconds) down the sewer vent that it'll blow all the water out of every sink trap as well as the entire contents of all toilet bowls? :eek:

Oops... Well, a good chunk of the afternoon was spent cleaning all the bathrooms. Knock on wood, 2 of the 3 bathroom seats were down. The one that was up had water spray (from the toilet) upwards of 4' up the walls.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Oops....

I was on the roof today caulking up leaking skylights and blowing out the gutters.:thumb:

I have a slow sink at the highest level but the trap an such is clear.:mad:

Oh, what the heck... Lets stick the leaf blower (being used for cleaning out the gutters) down the sewer vent for a few seconds to assure it's clear and not the issue with the upper sink.

Now... I'm on the roof and can't hear a thing since I'm running the blower.

Mrs. Zoom is in the bathroom (but I didn't know that...).

I stick the end of the blower over the sewer vent and give it a blast for about 5 seconds.

15 seconds later, Mrs. Zoom comes running out the door screaming (and soaked).

Did you know that if you blow a lot of air (if only for 5 seconds) down the sewer vent that it'll blow all the water out of every sink trap as well as the entire contents of all toilet bowls? :eek:

Oops... Well, a good chunk of the afternoon was spent cleaning all the bathrooms. Knock on wood, 2 of the 3 bathroom seats were down. The one that was up had water spray (from the toilet) upwards of 4' up the walls.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud
:weneedpic

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The important question is....was she actually on the toilet at the time? :yum::yum::yum::yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
The important question is....was she actually on the toilet at the time? :yum::yum::yum::yum:
As a matter of fact... yes, but the seat was down and she was filing her nails or something. In her case, it hit the seat and went straight out, soaking her legs.

Junkman said:
Some people without common sense just shouldn't own power tools...... :yankchain:
Junk,

I did think about it before doing it. In my (apparently simple) mind, I would have expected there to be an air flow the entire distance from vent to septic tank. Shouldn't that be correct? :confused2:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
bczoom said:
Junk,

I did think about it before doing it. In my (apparently simple) mind, I would have expected there to be an air flow the entire distance from vent to septic tank. Shouldn't that be correct? :confused2:

No, that isn't correct. The septic tank is vented to the roof. If you pressurize the vent, then there is no place for the air to go, except out the fixtures. That is the reason for traps at the sink and toilet. To keep the sewer gasses flowing upward to the roof for venting. Even notice that during certain times when the weather is bad that there are ripples in the toilet water. This is the atmospheric pressure pushing down on the air in the vent pipe. Occasionally you will find a septic tank that is vented, but that is the exception, not the rule. They do vent leach fields now, but I have no idea as to exactly if that might have prevented your situation from happening, but I doubt it. Junk.......

Cityboy

Banned
:yum: This would make a great "Tool Time" episode! :yum:

Yup, BC (Tim Taylor) up on the roof, doing the cave-man more power! grunt with his new super duper Binford leaf blower... the wife unsuspecting in the bathroom.....:D :D :yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
LOL LOL LOL

I can almost picture myself doing the same thing and never considering the results...:yum: Man would the penalties be unbearable....:pat: :confused2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
No, that isn't correct. The septic tank is vented to the roof.

At least they should be. I have a friend who had a custom home built in the 800k range. Everytime I came over, his house smelled like sh*t. I finally mentioned that to him and he said, "You too?! We've been thinking we have been smelling that for months now but it seems to come and go. We can't find what the problem is."

I spent about an hour helping him and finally found the source. The builders brought his septic vent up into the attic, but stopped there. It did not go through the roof. It opened up right above their master bedroom walk in closet. The smell would die down until someone flushed, showered, or did the dishes. Then, wham, sh*t smell big time!

Needless to say, he wasn't pleased with his builder!

jwstewar

:yum: :yum: :applause:

I was laughing harder at this then I have in a long time. Wife is fighting with the son to do his homework - needless to day she wasn't amused that I was laughing - thinking I was laughing at her.:burp: :hide:

:yum: :yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
And if it doesn't go high enough over the roof, you'll get a smell outside near the house.

Don't I know it. :eek: When the atmospheric conditions are just right, I'll get a strong sh*t smell all around my pool and pool house. :mad: The vent tube goes up and through the roof on the north side of my house. My pool is directly behind my house (the north side) and my pool house sits on the west end of the pool facing east. There is a 7' tall privacy fence enclosing the area which is all concrete and landscaping around the outside. The buildings and fence block most of the wind and, if the smell drops in, it stays for a while.

But, hey, you just gave me a good idea of how to run the inlaws off when they over stay their welcome. :thumb: My MIL always hits the head 1/2 hour after feasting. Perhaps I see an accident in the future...:whistle: I have a giant back pack leaf blower that says it blows up to 220 mph.

humor_me

THAT WAS FUNNY!

You know, that would be a heck of a way to get back at your recently divorced ex-wife that's pissed you off so much during the divorce.:yum: :yum: :yum:

Disclaimer: you did not here this idea from me.:whistle: