• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Sprockets for ST4

jakers

I needed new sprockets for my st4. Brass ones would have cost $2000.00. We contacted a company in Oregon and they made new ones from Nylatron (nylon and uhmw). These were only $100.00 each. We have been using them for several months and they are holding up fine. They even gave us a cad drawing of them. If anyone is interested, let me know

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got my the bronz for 200$ each. I seen the nyion only one time and they had lots of wear.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
pm me your contact info I would like to talk about these I'm still leaning tward the bronz sprockets from the north pole foundry. at 2 bills each

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be interested in the Drawing file.

I have the machine Jim is refering to with the wear. I run the snot out of that machine year round and they are steadily failling/wearing I think the sun ate them up.

The good:
They are very quiet. they are also quite smooth. I have no complaints as mine look to have been made with a router on a workbench that did not have a vise.
The bad:
is they appear to be suffering in the super cold, hair line cracks and slight chipping. In muddy work they shine up and almost look extruded.

My machine is going to get a major service when the sprockets no longer propel the machine in a reliable manner.

I am a fan of the plastic as they appear to have been on there many years. and the extra bronze sprockets that came with it serve a my backups.

mike

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mike I talked with the guy who made yours you are right they were made from uhmw with a router.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you see him again compliment him...

There are many modifications on that machine that show evidence of a very resourceful person.

Miike

jakers

if anyone is interested in the sprockets, pm me your email address and I will send it. I can't post it here because it doesn't have an url it is on my desktop. We have been running in 6 feet of ungroomed snow and they are working great.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be interested in the Drawing file.

I have the machine Jim is refering to with the wear. I run the snot out of that machine year round and they are steadily failling/wearing I think the sun ate them up.

The good:
They are very quiet. they are also quite smooth. I have no complaints as mine look to have been made with a router on a workbench that did not have a vise.
The bad:
is they appear to be suffering in the super cold, hair line cracks and slight chipping. In muddy work they shine up and almost look extruded.

My machine is going to get a major service when the sprockets no longer propel the machine in a reliable manner.

I am a fan of the plastic as they appear to have been on there many years. and the extra bronze sprockets that came with it serve a my backups.

mike

how many hours do you think yours had on them?
DSC03358.jpg

Vitaliy

I needed new sprockets for my st4. Brass ones would have cost $2000.00. We contacted a company in Oregon and they made new ones from Nylatron (nylon and uhmw). These were only $100.00 each. We have been using them for several months and they are holding up fine. They even gave us a cad drawing of them. If anyone is interested, let me know

Hello Yakers. Could you send me a drawing?

info@kiteteam.kz

Thank you.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
how many hours do you think yours had on them?
DSC03358.jpg
Sorry for the delay...

I saw pictures of the machine before Ben Bought it and the plastice was on the machine then. (still in AK)

I don't think there was much run time while it was in ID.

I really don't know the amount of hours but I bet it is a lot. judging by the modifications they made to the machine, it appears it saw a fair amount of summer ( or non snow) use.

I am going to try a set of poly, when they finally give out. shouldnt be long.

Mike:brows:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can get new bronze/aluminum casting from a North Pole foundry...AK. BTW. (J&T Foundry? not positive, google them) They cast mine for $200 each or $800 for the set of four. They use the correct alloy, and it will not wear out your grousers in use.... JFYI.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took the picture of the white sprockets. It is was of one I looked at to buy. the thing had lots of abuse and neglect. the extra wear on the sprockets "could " have been from that.
I have a buddie at boings and they have plastics are really tuff and almost wears like bronze .
if the Alaska foundry still has them for 200 I would get them. They will need adjustment after you get them like holes drilled and centering.

akimp

Do you think these sprockets are usable? Thanks

Attachments

• snow trac sp1.jpg
    snow trac sp1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 241
  • snow trac sp2.jpg
    snow trac sp2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 251

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The front set have some life left in them.

You get extra wear out of them by changing them form side to side so the pull on the other side of the teeth...

Better get a set ordered for the day is comming.

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If short on cash you could build them up with the welder.
they look gone to me.
I have better looking ones in my scrap.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
those sprockets have quite a bit of life left in them the ones on the machine will start to need dental work soon if you stay out of the mud you may get 3 more years out of your used sprockets.