• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What size fuel tank for snowcats?

snowbird

The specifications for my SV200 show a 20 gallon fuel tank. I tried grooming a snowmobile trail today for the first time and kept an eye on my fuel level. I didn't finish the grooming because I ran pretty low on fuel. My original tank was too far gone to restore, so I replaced it with a 13 gallon marine type tank. Any suggestions on more capacity? Another tank like the one I have? I've attached a picture of my current tank.

Attachments

• Small gas tank for 2010 forum.jpg
    Small gas tank for 2010 forum.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 489
Snowbird, Consider looking at your local Ag-Farm Tractor dismantler. Case tractors have some nice poly tanks in various shapes and sizes. I was able to get a 50 gallon for my restoration at a reasonable price of $125.

Did you lay down a nice trail for the 1st trip out?

snowbird

Thanks for the hint. With 50 gallons I should for sure make a round trip. I didn't realize farm tractors had plastic tanks. My closest dealer is John Deere so their 50 gallon tank would probably be priced at $250 (figuring anything yellow and green costs more).

I'm not sure how well I groomed the trail. I was learning how to run the drag. Sometimes it was pulling so much snow I had to lift the front end. It would have left a better trail, also, if the drag were at least as wide as my SV200.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a pic that shows two fuel tanks on our SV200 taken today. The two yellow tanks on the RH back are fuel tanks. I believe they are similiar to your original tank and with the two tanks we hold about 40+ gallons of fuel enough to run many hours with the 250 Ford engine.

We were doing some engine tuning, steering band adjustment, track tensioning and testing today prior to installing the Valley fold up rear drag on the back after some major rebuild/restoration work on our Bombardier SV200. We also needed to move a 10 wide heavy older Maxey roller, with a cutting blade and packer pan type drag and used the SV200 to do that also. It turned out easier to push using the pin on the front blade mount for a mile than to try and drag it with the SV200 as we needed to fit it threw two 12 foot gates along the way. The Maxey drag is set up for an LMC 1200 and not the Bombardier we used today. We dozed some snow and generally tested all components to make sure before the drag is installed we are ready to go. Everything functioned as it should and we will install the rear foldup drag this week.
P1160016 (Medium).JPG

P1160020 (Medium).JPG

P1160013 (Medium).JPG