• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

worrying times ahead

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Since my Mother passed away myself and my Brother that did not speak for close to 16 years have become good family and friends again, but sadly he and his wife have failing health and they are in their mid 50's so 10 years older than me.

We have talked honestly about what lies ahead and it is all worrying, his dear wife has leukemia and at the moment it is under control with powerful drugs but this in turn has it's side effects and makes daily life a struggle for her and my Brother has just this past few weeks been diagnosed with emphysema with his right lung being as he described to me as being heavily scared and the left lung is catching up fast.

With all this said they have 2 children, their Daughter is 14 and their Son 16,clearly they have concerns about the children's futures and me and my wife are the only family to them so with a heavy heart we have been starting to make plans just in case them children need guidance in life at a short notice.

My Brother is coming down this week with legal documents for me and my wife to sign, it will cover what happens to property ect and what to do if and when either himself or his wife passes away or needs to have permanent care ect ect, more importantly who cares for their children and what their wishes are for the children's education and care needs if anything happens whilst they are still classed as minors.

The reason my Brother and his wife trust us is they know we put our own children before us in life and education is damn important, they also know myself and my wife are 100% financially secure and we would protect their children's future with any funds sold from their estate if it was to come to that and we would 100% make sure the children would use any money to secure a good education and a future home for them.

As well as all the legal stuff we chatted last night and think it is a good thing that the children start spending more time with me and my family, so to start this process my niece is travelling down to and she is going to spend the week with us ,my nephew has exams to study for so he will come the next time, my niece is so much like my Daughter who is the same age i know they are going to have so much fun and that is the point...she needs to know in a gentle way she is never and i mean never going to be alone in life.

It is hard getting my head round all this but i know with a few prayers and love and support these kids will be just fine, by the way their names are Kaci and Lee.

My Niece is on the left and my daughter on the right...damn they look and act so alike and until a few months ago they never even knew each other existed.

Worrying times as i said in the thread title.:sad:

Attachments

• DSC_0048.JPG
    DSC_0048.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 183

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy, I read your post and didn't reply immediately because I needed time to think.

I am almost 70-years old and in my life I have known a few, a very few, really GOOD people. My immediate neighbor is one. You sir, are another!!! I'm proud to say that it's been a pleasure and an honor to have known you. Do what you think you need to do for the kids and your brother and his family. I trust your judgement and I'm sure that everything will work out for you. I firmly believe that good things happen to good people.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy, I read your post and didn't reply immediately because I needed time to think.

I am almost 70-years old and in my life I have known a few, a very few, really GOOD people. My immediate neighbor is one. You sir, are another!!! I'm proud to say that it's been a pleasure and an honor to have known you. Do what you think you need to do for the kids and your brother and his family. I trust your judgement and I'm sure that everything will work out for you. I firmly believe that good things happen to good people.

I couldn't have put it any better. You are one of the good people.

Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy you are what family is all about. I commend you for your open heart for your brothers family. I only hope that there are lots more good people like you out there.

Good for you and your wife. If it were my brother's family in this situation, the wife and I would do the same.

Best regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto to what they all said Galvi. They said it better than I could. Forum world brings strangers into our lives that if we open up and give them a chance we get to know each other rather well and get a good feel for the type of person each of us are. As has been said, you are a good one. I'm proud to call you a friend and I wish you and your family the best. I will say prayers for your brother and his family. Please do keep us posted.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
At least you got to be friends again with your brother. That is important. I know that my father and I had some differences but the last year or so of his life I got to really talk to him and find out his point of view. We made up for anything that had happened between us. Family is important.
You seem like a really good guy and I wish I had some wise words of encouragement but I am just an ordinary guy so all I can say is to take it one day at a time and do the best that you can.

Galvatron

Thank you for all of your kind words.

None of this is easy for me to take in as i was done with family on my side many many years ago but i have learnt so much these past few months, it as not been easy allowing my Brother back in to my life as some serious shit really did happen but talking we both now see clearly that the shit that happened was caused not by us but the evil twisted Mother we had, before she stirred her Calderon of hate we were both damn close, we done so much together some i am proud some not so but we stood tall together, we used to work together at times, drank pubs dry, got in to all sorts of shit and always bailed each other out when it was needed, when we fell out things got ugly, he pushed me to far and i had him serve prison time and i told him if he ever came near me again when he left prison i would kill him so he moved away and started a new life to which is the best thing that ever happened to him.

Sadly during this time he had a 17 year old son that committed suicide, i knew about it but we were not talking so i never got to aid him though his grief, that i kick myself for daily as he as made clear he so much wanted me at his side but was afraid to knock on my door, his son was also like a son to me, i think of him daily.

Speaking to my Brother last night on the phone he asked me if i would visit his son's grave with him, since he laid him to rest he as not had the strength to return so we will do that this Sunday when he comes to visit, i have also vowed as his grave is local to me to visit weekly, it will be tough as i never in all these years have been to his grave.

Thank you all again for the kind words it is good to know i can get this off my chest with good friends.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not even sure how to respond to this thread other than to say that you are doing what I would hope I had the strength to do. I commend you for living a life that sets an example for others to follow.

Galvatron

Not even sure how to respond to this thread other than to say that you are doing what I would hope I had the strength to do. I commend you for living a life that sets an example for others to follow.

I know you would do the same like most here on FF would as you are all decent caring people, life sometimes slings poo at you but if you duck and dive it wont hit you to much and you can manage to not allow it to stick and fester.

On the up side my Brother when he visits brings me fresh sea food (cockles whelks and prawns) from a local fisherman by him so eh who am i to complain.:biggrin:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
You're a good man, Galvi. A truely good man. We could all do with a little more of your guidance.

(But your steering wheel is still on the wrong side.)

Galvatron

My Brother came down and dropped me the paperwork to go through it is all very simple but has a few complex issues i have worked on this week, complex being he and his wife as i understood it have never married and his son is not his biological son and there is a few issues getting that sorted but hopefully it will all be a signed deal asap so we all have peace of mind, we will be transferring some funds some of them being large amounts to my control very soon for safe keeping and they want their property in my name but need some more advice on the best way so mr tax man don't go screwing either of us in the process.

Had a fantastic time with Kaci my Niece when she stayed this week she just fitted straight in with us and for a 14 year old girl is very impressive on how she understands all the what if's on her parents health issues,Their son Lee done a day visit when Kaci was picked up and again he was a instant hit with us and he felt very at home for the day.

All in all i think things went well and through all the sadness of what the future may hold there is positives all round.

Galvatron

My Brother has chosen to sell up and move on, he as spent 5 years renovating his property and now he is done he is cashing in his chips, he paid a mere £70k for his property but the hard work has paid off and he just had it valued at £195k.

So he wants to move north where he as friends but also it puts him on a more direct link to visit me, where he is now takes him 3 hours to drive to me but where he wants to go to even though the distance is further the road links are more direct and the travel time is just over 2 hours as i found out yesterday when i went to look at 2 property's for him.

The house prices are cheap and he can just tinker on his good days getting it how he wants it, good local Hospital and schools/collage for the kids.

Had to go look on my own as he and his wife have many doctor appointments this week but things are positive and it will unlock some serious money for them to enjoy life,it will also protect other money for the kids futures.

So heres what i looked at.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...2012d733197f56adb6448a0ca#uYSRtItEAbRqeov1.97

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...2012d733197f56adb6448a0ca#7vIQlcGvjqHdAu3w.97

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I missed this thread the first time around. Galvi you are doing a good thing for your brother. I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my wife's sister. They live 17 hours away and we have never met. Her children are about the same age as ours and one has medical issues. My wife and I have agreed that if anything should ever happen to her sister and husband we would step in to care for the girls.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk