• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can we just drop the names???

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There's been a lot of great debates/discussions going on recently.

Some posts are long but I relish the words/thoughts.

Can we drop the (most often) last paragraph where one blames it on a person or political party? I find it's often worthless to the discussion and immediately shows a bias by the poster.

With rare exception, little can be blamed on a particular administration as much of our debate/discussion subjects are a fluid thing that's been going on for years.

I propose we discuss just the issues for awhile. The politician's position on the issues will speak for themselves.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Man, you trying to ruin some lives or what? All some people live for is to whine about the other party. If they can't do that what reason do they have to live? Personally, I think they're both leading us to our untimely demise.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Can we drop the (most often) last paragraph where one blames it on a person or political party?
I propose we discuss just the issues for awhile. The politician's position on the issues will speak for themselves.
You know, I've quit reading the debate/discussion threads. Every one seems to evolve immediately into raw hostility, overpowering any sharing of useful new information.

Likewise I don't have any particular axe to grind with that other place that they choose to run within narrow boundaries.

I think I see here mostly one conversational technique that overpowers, that is calculated to overpower, rational discussion. That is to make up the most outlandish position and claim it accurately describes an opponent's position. Why would anyone bother to do this?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
...Can we drop the (most often) last paragraph where one blames it on a person or political party?

Jerk

Oops!

Independent thinking jerk!

Better? :D

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dargo said:
Jerk

Oops!

Independent thinking jerk!

Better? :D

I must apologize for my friend Dargo........... He just doesn't know how to talk to a idiot like you........ :thumb:

OkeeDon

Hmm. From the tone of these replies, it sounds like everyone thinks it's the other guy who does it. How about some specific examples of what you don't want to see? If they tag me, I'm willing to try to change. But, just like everyone else, I don't think I'm guilty of calling names. I admit to being guilty of implication, but it's mostly of the type, "if the shoe fits, wear it." I don't recall ever spcifically calling anyone else a name, but it's happened to me, plenty.

BoneheadNW

Would calling G.W. Bush a Douche Bag be an example of what you are talking about?:whistle: How about calling Cheney Mr. Evil (Dr. Evil is already taken)?

It is possible that in some circles being called a Douche Bag would be a compliment, for example if you were the president of a douche bag company.
Bonehead

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
... but it's mostly of the type, "if the shoe fits, wear it." I don't recall ever spcifically calling anyone else a name, but it's happened to me, plenty.

Okay, guilty. :wave:

Does it count if I don't really get ticked off? Sometimes I wonder if I really get Don ticked off or not. :whistle:

Actually, I'm from the camp where I feel that I don't have to agree with you all the time to still respect you and your opinions. I assume others feel that way about me, but I could be wrong; been wrong before. Yeah, I know, I'll probably be wrong again as well...

For whatever reason, I'll try to inject humor as a way to diffuse things even if I don't agree. I may still not agree with you, but I feel that you (nobody in particular - I just noticed that it sounds like I'm speaking to Don and I'm not) certainly are just as right to have your opinions as I am to have mine. Make any sense?

OkeeDon

BoneheadNW said:
Would calling G.W. Bush a Douche Bag be an example of what you are talking about?:whistle: How about calling Cheney Mr. Evil (Dr. Evil is already taken)?
Gee, I dunno. Mebbe you should try it and find out?
Dargo said:
Sometimes I wonder if I really get Don ticked off or not. :whistle:
Good. I like to keep people wondering.
Dargo said:
Make any sense?
No. Oh, wait, Maybe a little. I thought you were asking about who you were talking to.

BoneheadNW

I have often wondered if my opinions of a famous person, such as the president, might change if I had the opportunity to sit down one-on-one and have a chat, say over dinner. Taking G.W. as an example, I would like to think that after a nice beef rib dinner with George, I would come away thinking "Hey, this guy is really not a bad person". I have no doubt, however, that even if this was the case, I would still hate him as our president.
Bonehead

OkeeDon

BoneheadNW said:
I have often wondered if my opinions of a famous person, such as the president, might change if I had the opportunity to sit down one-on-one and have a chat, say over dinner. Taking G.W. as an example, I would like to think that after a nice beef rib dinner with George, I would come away thinking "Hey, this guy is really not a bad person". I have no doubt, however, that even if this was the case, I would still hate him as our president.
Bonehead
As a matter of fact, he's supposed to be funny, much more articulate in person, and I think it would be neat if he gave me one of his famous nicknames. I don't think we'd ever be close friends because our interests differ a lot, but I wouldn't mind spending an evening with him.

I like our garbage man quite a lot, also, but don't think he should be our President.