• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best penetrating oil

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BEST DAMN PENETRATING OIL I HAVE USED TO FREE RUSTED NUTS AND BOLTS!

Well I am not to sure who told me to try "KROIL" (I believe it was MTNTOPR) but man does that stuff work great! I have used it for years as part of cleaning my rifle barrels routine. (works great for that too). I have been trying for a while to loosen the screws that hold my dash on in my Snow Master. While these were not rusted they would not budge. In fact with the proper size screw driver they were starting to strip. I have lubed them with WD40, 3 in 1 oil ect ect. I have let them soak for weeks hitting them once twice a day with whatever oil I had closest. Nothing. Then today I decided after I had tried to loosen them again with no luck, to use Kroil. I squirted each screw once and then for shits and giggles took my screw driver to them. They all came off no problem. SO if you have some stubburn Nuts bolts or screws give them a squirt of KROIL. If they are really bad let them soak awhile. Now to attack those windshield wiper arms!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is by far.......... thought I was going to be able to brag on it! I use it on removing wax/plastic/carbon build up on choke tubes.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
It displaces Carbon like nothing I have ever seen. Seems like it travels along the metal to get under the carbon. Works great.

Kwiens

Snowcat Operations said:
BEST DAMN PENETRATING OIL I HAVE USED TO FREE RUSTED NUTS AND BOLTS!

Well I am not to sure who told me to try "KROIL" (I believe it was MTNTOPR) but man does that stuff work great! I have used it for years as part of cleaning my rifle barrels routine. (works great for that too). I have been trying for a while to loosen the screws that hold my dash on in my Snow Master. While these were not rusted they would not budge. In fact with the proper size screw driver they were starting to strip. I have lubed them with WD40, 3 in 1 oil ect ect. I have let them soak for weeks hitting them once twice a day with whatever oil I had closest. Nothing. Then today I decided after I had tried to loosen them again with no luck, to use Kroil. I squirted each screw once and then for shits and giggles took my screw driver to them. They all came off no problem. SO if you have some stubburn Nuts bolts or screws give them a squirt of KROIL. If they are really bad let them soak awhile. Now to attack those windshield wiper arms!

Bob,

Glad to hear you learned the benefits of a penetrating oil!!:thumb:

WD40 is a lubricating oil. Kroil, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench are all penetrating oils. WD 40 will never loosen a rusted or tight nut or bolt. It will, however, lubricate the threads when you install said nut or bolt.

My dad owned an auto repair shop and we were not permitted to use WD 40 to loosen rusted and stuck bolts and nuts, only a penetrating oil he purchased in a gallon container. It worked better than anything on the market today.

Kevin

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
1. KROIL penetrating oil.

Attachments

• kroil1.jpg
    kroil1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by a moderator:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a picture so you may be able to find it yourself. If someone can flip this I would appreciate it. Cant seem to do it myself.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use KROIL too. Good stuff. :applause:

Mine came in an aerosol spray can. And if I took a photo of mine it would not be laying on its side :moon:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah yah yah. You dont know how long it took me to get those bottles to stay like that! It took me almost a whole pack of gum!

:moon: :finger1:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've never even heard of Kroil ! But I'll give it a try sometime.

For the last year or two I've been using Rust Reaper http://www.rustreaper.com/
and I haven't snapped off any bolts that I didn't mean to :thumb:

Vance

I have heard good things about Kroil but never used it.

I use PB Blaster and add heat if necessary.

I've never had it fail me yet. PB blaster for a day, heat with propane or Oxy torch = loosen whatever!!

As others have said - WD40 is a SOLVENT.

Vance

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah the wd40 thing was just what was ever closest at hand. I usually use it to clean parts ect. I dont really like it that much. BUT I thought what the hell. Well it sucks for anything else. the Kroil just blew me away as you can tell. I will keep a couple of bottles in my shop from now on.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I will look up on the net and see if it available in the UK, if not I may well take up your kind offer Snowcat Ops. I don't really care if customs have a fit, I received a snowtrac video and two mugs marked 'shirts' for the customs! I wonder how you would wear them?? Up till now I have used heat, diesel and large Scammells on things that would not come apart (split rim wheels for the last) but even that was unsuccessful, so it sounds as though it would come in pretty handy as I deal with things that won't come undone on a regular basis!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
To give you an idea. Last night I squirted some of the KROIL on my big sprockets and brake assembly. I have tried a gear puller, bottles of oil and other lubes and yes even another type of penetrating oil all with no luck. I didnt crank to hard on the gear puller but still it was putting alot of force on the splines. Anyway like I was saying last night I squirted some in. Today I went out there to clean my shop and happen to reach down and gave a good yank on the big sprocket. She cam almost all the way off. I stopped since I want to look at my schematics to see whats behind everything before I pull it completly off. I also need to finish cleaning my shop before I take anything else off. Man this stuff works GREAT! PM me your address!

cranman

If kroil isn't available try a 50/50 percent mix of diesel fuel and diesel fuel conditioner. That is an old combine mechanics trick. Also great for cleaning rusty fuel tanks, just pour some in as it isn't that expensive and slosh it around every day for a few days and it seems to melt the rust away.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cranman said:
If kroil isn't available try a 50/50 percent mix of diesel fuel and diesel fuel conditioner.
What type of diesel conditoner? I use Power Service brand in the white bottle that has anti-gel properties. But Power Service also makes a silver bottle that doesn't include the anti-gel treatment. Does it matter what type is used? I've always got diesel + conditioner handy, and typically can't find my can of spray Kroil.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Went out today and pulled the entire sprocket and brake assembly off with my hands. Not hang ups at all. The splines look brand new. Dont know what was keeping it on but man that Kroil worked its magic on it. I have a new routine now when I buy a older snowcat. After she is loaded up on the trailer I will hit everything I am going to remove with a nice coat of Kroil!

cranman

I've used both types but I think the stuff advertised as the injector cleaner and not just antiGel would be better for penetration. I use it 50/50 as a penetrating oil and maybe 10 to 25 percent cond as a tank flush.

According to About.com the answer to your question is:

WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California. The team of inventors were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

WD-40 was first used to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. Norm Larsen repackaged WD-40 into aerosol cans for consumer use and the product was sold to the general public in 1958. In 1969, the Rocket Chemical Company was renamed after its only product WD-40.

Thanks for the Kroil tip snowcat ops.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a tidbit of info WD-40

It was the 40th formula that they came up with for water displacement
hence WD-40