• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Forums teams up with: www.snow-trac.com/

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of our Forum Members (Warren Jones) has a very nice website that has been under construction for quite a while. The site is really starting to look good and Warren and I have traded information in the past. http://www.snow-trac.com/

We have decided that we will formally begin to work together. One great thing about our Forums is that it is a wonderful place to DISCUSS things, but it is also easy to lose data inside the threads. Or even forget where a thread is located.

Warren and I will begin to work to cross reference documents, to get them posted on his site, etc. It will take some time (I know I am busy, I suspect Warren is too) but when we are done with the bulk of the work, the two websites will work together with cross links.

Documents may be posted here in low resolution, but be in higher resolution on his site. (The Forums have all sorts of size limits on pictures, documents, etc) Discussion will take place here because his site is not suited for discussions. So there will be a lot of cross linking but the links between the sites should be no different than links between pages here at this site.

Warren's website is located at: http://www.snow-trac.com/ :applause:

I honestly think BOTH websites will benefit and both will end up with more visitors sharing information. :tiphat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Warren and I both think it will be a big help. I expect that people who need to find something here will also find it a big help if Warren has the documents and things stored over there with a link back to the discussion thread here. And because we have file size limits here, it is not always practical to have everything stored here, so we can post a lower resolution photo, or PDF file here, but link over to a larger (more useful) file on that site.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Awesome Bob! :a1:

I think that arrangement is the perfect combination to maximize the utility of both sites.

Some the PowerTrac guys were just discussing making an online owners manual, developed from [and possibly containing links too] information discussed on the PT forum. Something like Warren's Technical page is exactly what I envisioned when they proposed the manual. Do you think Warren would mind if I posted a link to his page over there as an example?

I noticed Warren already has a link back to here, but not on the page I'd be linking.....if they're that paranoid the world has gone mad.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't speak for Warren, but it sure would not upset me if I had a site that looked as nice as his, and someone used it as an example. I'd say go for it.

We could have duplicated the effort, and made our own group of pages to do it all here, but a lot of people already know about Warren's site, and he and I have never had a conflict with information trading, so it just seems like a "best case" type of senario. The internet makes is simple, and the two sites will effectively be linked in dozens, if not hundreds of places when the whole process is done.

In theory, every technical thread here will have information published there, and the sites will be cross linked. Every restoration thread here would have information over there, and the sites cross linked. Every document here, would be copied in higher resolution there, and the sites cross linked. So if anyone is doing any research, and they find either site, then they can research the information on BOTH sites.

It is going to take time to do, so I hope nobody is expecting any quick results!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I can't speak for Warren, but it sure would not upset me if I had a site that looked as nice as his, and someone used it as an example. I'd say go for it.

We could have duplicated the effort, and made our own group of pages to do it all here, but a lot of people already know about Warren's site, and he and I have never had a conflict with information trading, so it just seems like a "best case" type of senario. The internet makes is simple, and the two sites will effectively be linked in dozens, if not hundreds of places when the whole process is done.

In theory, every technical thread here will have information published there, and the sites will be cross linked. Every restoration thread here would have information over there, and the sites cross linked. Every document here, would be copied in higher resolution there, and the sites cross linked. So if anyone is doing any research, and they find either site, then they can research the information on BOTH sites.

It is going to take time to do, so I hope nobody is expecting any quick results!

Thanks Bob! I think I will post the link, I'll email Warren, but since my ISP will be sporatic over the next few days [same ISP, different service], doubt I'll see the reply soon.

Since it sounds like you're planning to do it right rather than do it fast and haphazard, I'm sure everyone will be hold their patience as long a it takes.:thumb:

Warren

Excellent idea, Bob. Thanks -- this arrangement will be good for both sites.

Per Lyndon’s suggestion, I'll start by compiling his recent technical posts on the forum into articles for the Technical section of my site. I already had some of Lyndon’s older stuff (papers from the old ST4 Owners' Club) almost ready to post.

Soon there will be a place on Snow-Trac.com for manuals and brochures -- I'll compare my collection with what’s on the forum, and make sure documents unique to this site get included.

Spiffy1,
No problem at all about posting the link, but thanks for asking. My site stats showed quite a few hits from the www.tractorbynet.com forum, thanks to your link.

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments about Snow-Trac.com. My progress has been slow, but I hope to get more pages added soon. My daughter is a web-site designer -- she did the header graphics and buttons -- but then it was up to me to generate the content. Getting material from the forum will be a great help.

Warren

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's a shame that none of us speak Icelandic. What's their native tonge anyway? Their site is pretty impressive. They have alot of members. One owner has a Snow Trac with a HUGE cab that almost looks like it was "Factory". We need an interpreter!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
It's a shame that none of us speak Icelandic. What's their native tonge anyway? Their site is pretty impressive. They have alot of members. One owner has a Snow Trac with a HUGE cab that almost looks like it was "Factory". We need an interpreter!

Lyndon, that Snow Trac was formally used as a rescue vehicle, it is currently owned by Björn Benediktsson, he is also a member here, you occasionally see posts by him under the name Oscarinn. We have another Icelandic member, Villi, who posts more frequently. The language in Iceland is Icelandic, but fortunately for us, many citizens of Iceland speak English.

Björn and Villi are both nice guys and will gladly share information.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I figgured it out after looking thru every picture in the entire site. Some Good Pics! Seems lots of those Icelanders take real good care of their machines. That probably goes with living that far north of the Arctic Circle. One machine in perticular shows 9900 miles on the Odometer, which is the highest mileage I have ever seen on an ST4, the previous record being around 6700 miles. Not Bad!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes I love there rigs! You know its a way of EVERYDAY life with them. There rigs all look brand new (to me at least) and they have all the real cool stuff on them! Ours are very nice but we dont use them like they do everyday. God Knows I would though. The best times in my life besides the birth of my children are when I'm driving in my Snowcat (hell any snowcat for that matter)!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Warren said:
Spiffy1,
No problem at all about posting the link, but thanks for asking. My site stats showed quite a few hits from the www.tractorbynet.com forum, thanks to your link.
Warren

It looks like the PowerTrac guys are heading a little different direction, but glad to hear your site got some extra hits from the link. :thumb:

Oh, I did get your email too, but just realized since I'm posting here, probably won't make a redundant reply to it.

Still don't have the satellite internet :( - their satellite guy caught some flu bug.........pretty pathetic excuse to mess up my internet plans! :D