• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a small high quality grill

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in the market for a nice but small grill. Most grills nowadays have gone to mammoth sizes with all kinds of extras. I have a limited space on the back of the houseboat where it would be great to have a grill, but with the big wings on the sides of most grills that makes it to wide. The small grills I have seen are low cost ($99) and low quality. I need a quality free standing grill with a small footprint. Any suggestions?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Get a bigger boat?

I picked up a new grill at Lowe's a couple weeks ago that I'm really liking. Can you get a decent sized grill then remove one or both of the side trays?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bigger boat? :yum: Not an option. It's the engine compartment opening that is the problem. Most grills would block access to the engines, and we do need access to them on occasion.

I've considered modifying a grill. I would just have to remove one of the wings.
I looked at the grill you bought with the searing module on it. Kinda like it but hate to have to take a hacksaw to it right off.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The one I got is on wheels (all 4 corners) if you need to move it around.

I'll be pulling mine out later to cook some dogs and burgers. I'll take a look at it. I don't think a hacksaw is needed. I think just omitting the installation of a side wing is needed. I'll try to remember dimensions as well. Oh, BTW... the one I got only comes in green (besides the stainless).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wheels would be a good thing as it would not scratch my decking, but the grill will be strapped into place so that it cannot move easily. I'm looking for a solution that I would not need to unstrap the grill to get into my engine compartment.

Gatorboy

Nothing wrong with the good ol' Weber grills. If you want small, the Smokey Joe model is perfect.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Propane or charcoal? Charbroil and Weber sell some fairly small grills. I have a 4 burner Charbroil that would be way to large but my youngest son has a small Weber that has about a 20" x 18" foot print. He bought it a few years ago from WalMart and mine came from Lowe's. I would think the Propane would be a bit safer on a boat but not real sure about that. I've also seen the Hibachi type grill that use charcoal and made out of cast iron real cheap around here. We had one for about 25 years before I gave it away when moving.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for a gas grill. Small footprint would have been a better way to describe it. Preferably one with a large cooking surface without the little wing tables on the side.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you given any thought to the Weber kettle gas grills? These come with side wings that will fold for storage.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I had a small stainless steel one that would hang over the water on my old pontoon boat. It was propane, and I bought it from one of the boat supply catalogs. That was about 15 years ago.. Sold the boat and the grill went with it.. It had a 90 degree pipe mount that would swing out over the water... Take it down and store when you didn't need it...

D

darroll

I love my Baby Webber grill that is about ten years old.
The regulator went bad. I ordered another and Webber sent me a replacement with no charge.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Buy a small used pontoon boat and build an outdoor kitchen on it, fitted with fridges, freezers, blenders, dishwashers, grills, smokers, ice makers, wet bar, etc, and tow it behind the houseboat.

Don't forget the fake lit palm tree!

Problem solved.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,
I have one that is pedestal mount and NG. It made by Modern Home Products. I really like it. It is pricey, but I think it's very high quality. They all types of mounts, cart and pedestal, propane or natural gas. Give them a look see.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm too lazy for charcoal even though I've been assured the flavor is far better. Having said as much, I have no personal experience with them, but several boaters I know have a smaller version of their home Big Green Egg.

Like I said, I don't know shit about them except all the food I've been given that was cooked on one was wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the Bob S. culinary school, so my palate is rather simple. Just a thought. Anybody here have one of those big 500 pound grills they call the Big Green Egg?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
check around for good quality "tailgating" grills, then make a pedestal mount that swivels for clear access to your engine compartment?