• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scotch Eggs

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If you've never had them, you do not know what you're missing.

While a resident of England, Steve and I used to buy these to take on a picnic (breaking our vegetarian diets when the mood struck) :smile:
Now.. I am wondering if I can make them with a vegetarian sausage/meat analog.
------
Hard boil and shell eggs.

Carefully wrap them in a thin coating of sausage, making sure it's uniform all around.

Roll in bread crumbs, then deep fry or possibly, maybe bake them?

I was thinking I could use something like Shake and Bake to coat them with.

They are best eaten cold in my opinion, with a little brown sauce or ketchup.

Can't wait to try it!

Attachments

• 278217474_b81382f304.jpg
    278217474_b81382f304.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 181

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
what???
Now don't tell me you don't like eggs Dave, or sausage... or things deep fried.

:shifty:.. you don't know until you've tried them.

Besides, I do recall your thread with the sausage gravy and biscuits......

Oh I don't know.. I've considered just saying to hell with it and trying it with real *gasp!* sausage, since I am thinking something veggie will be too dry and they'll fall apart in the fryer.:yum:
I want them to taste like I remember them, but don't want to suffer "meat eat gut" again.:neutral:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
what???
Now don't tell me you don't like eggs Dave, or sausage... or things deep fried.

PG - Dave's disappointed in your recipe because he thinks anything with Scotch in the name should have a good Scotch as part of the ingredients! :yum::yum::yum:

Sounds pretty good to me but I'm not much for Scotch, more a Bourbon man.

Bamby

They sound as if they would be good to me also. But I like to try things I've never had the opportunity to taste before. In reality can't think of anything I didn't like if it was prepared well. Guess I'm weird.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
PG, I love you!!!! :flowers::flowers:

You keep on digging up stuff that sets me off on a journey down memory lane. I haven't eaten a Scotch Egg in over 20 years. Ah man, I can taste it now. Need to talk to my wife. She likes culinary challenges. Maybe, just maybe, I can talk her into it.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, I love you!!!! :flowers::flowers:

You keep on digging up stuff that sets me off on a journey down memory lane. I haven't eaten a Scotch Egg in over 20 years. Ah man, I can taste it now. Need to talk to my wife. She likes culinary challenges. Maybe, just maybe, I can talk her into it.
Go for it!
Sounds simple enough to make.
Let me know :D

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I tried making Scotch eggs once, but it was not successful, I buy them now and yes they are very nice!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried sweet talking my wife into making then, with only limited success I might add, but she tells me she has a recipe for veggie Scotch eggs where black beans are substituted for the sausage. Doesn't sound too appealing. Why do people have to go and mess around with a classic?????

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried sweet talking my wife into making then, with only limited success I might add, but she tells me she has a recipe for veggie Scotch eggs where black beans are substituted for the sausage. Doesn't sound too appealing. Why do people have to go and mess around with a classic?????
I'm going to make them today Frank, and will post pics.
Decided to use a veggie bulk sausage called Gimme Lean.:smile:

Attachments

• mvc-154x-1.JPG
    mvc-154x-1.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 144

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
How did you fry them? Did you use a proper deep fryer?
Didn't fry them PB, I baked them. 375 for 25 minutes.
Actually had to add a tablespoon of oil to the veggie sausage so it would have some substance to hold together and not fall apart, as well as having an oven fried effect on the breading (Shake and Bake-extra crispy).
Deeeeeelish!!

American Woman

Site Supporter
I just went to the store today :pat: I'm going to try these though :wink:
They look good! Does it do anything to the boiled egg when you have to bake it after it's already cooked? (like dry it out or something?)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I just went to the store today :pat: I'm going to try these though :wink:
They look good! Does it do anything to the boiled egg when you have to bake it after it's already cooked? (like dry it out or something?)
Not really.. they take on a slightly different texture..
Easy to make Cory.
I know the kids and Larry would love them.
The kiddos would think they are fun to eat.:smile:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I ate 5 Dur, 3 drenched in Del Monte chili sauce.. what's that tell you?
OINK!
They were fabulous hun.
Now you have to try and make them.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
In chili sauce huh ?....you couldn't be around me if i ate eggs in chili sauce. Just one of them could light me up, but both together could really cause some serious thunder. :w00t2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
In chili sauce huh ?....you couldn't be around me if i ate eggs in chili sauce. Just one of them could light me up, but both together could really cause some serious thunder. :w00t2:
No, chili sauce is just like ketchup, only it's got a different tang to it, not really spicy, just better.
I don't know why they call it chili sauce.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It looks GREAT!!!!!!!! I bet teriyaki sauce would be VERY nice with it!

GREAT JOB PG!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

snow dog

Is that good looking woman you ???? or is it your sister or just someone's face, you downloaded from the internet