• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good Gravy!

Trakternut

Okay, I just love biscuits and gravy. Anybody got an easy recipe for the sausage gravy?? I'll probably :bonk: myself for asking but............

urednecku

Site Supporter
I know yer talkin' 'bout HOMEMADE catheads, not them whapem's, right?
YES, SIR-REE, with some sunny-side-up eggs, I'd put on 50 pounds in about a week if'n I had that meal every day.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Go to local supermarket.
Seek out cooler section.
Place Tennessee Pride or Bob Evans sausage gravy (nuke ready) in cart.
Walk to front of said supermarket with wallet in hand.
Drive home, and enjoy (over biscuits of course) hehe

Sorry Monte, I am being a wise one.
Nope, can't say I have one, tho Grams used to make a killer gravy recipe.
Seemed like it was simple with milk, flour, seasonings and sausage.

Trakternut

Yeah, I know, PG, it's a white gravy, but the amounts is what I'm after. Don't like it too runny, and hate to have to cut it with a concrete saw, either!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ingredients:

4 tbsp. butter or margarine
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 dash pepper
2 cups milk
1 lb. sausage

Directions:

Prepare medium white sauce. In small saucepan melt the butter or margarine. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper, use a fork to blend the flour in. Add milk all at once, cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes more. Cook 1 pound of sausage in a frying pan. Add to the white sauce and add a little more pepper to taste. Cook until heated through. Serve over biscuits or toast.

Trakternut

Thanks PG. Sounds simple enough. Gonna have to try it soon. This recipe sounds like it's really "sausagy", unlike some of the gravy in cafes where you can poor the gravy thought a sieve and not leave any sausage in there. :furious:

Had it in one place where they had cut links up in the gravy. THAT was gooooooodddd!!!!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks PG. Sounds simple enough. Gonna have to try it soon. This recipe sounds like it's really "sausagy", unlike some of the gravy in cafes where you can poor the gravy thought a sieve and not leave any sausage in there. :furious:

Had it in one place where they had cut links up in the gravy. THAT was gooooooodddd!!!!

Go up to Harvey and buy some of the Langdon Sausage. This is more of a ring sausage but boy is it good. We will have it mostly with fried potatoes or pancakes. Every time we are out there we will buy about $100 of it and bring it home frozen.

P

Pigtails

TN,

Well, I love good sausage gravy too. MT doesn't care too much for it too often. When we were first married I tried and tried to make biscuits and gravy. My gravy was always lumpy.. But as the years have past, I think I finally figured it out..

I usually use a lb of sausage, like Billy Deans mild, If you like it spicy get it. Brown it over medium heat. After it is browned I put 3 heaping tablespoon of white flour in. Leave your heat on medium and take a fork and push the flour into the sausage and grease. If you don't get the flour mixed up good with the sausage and grease it'll lump up. After all the flour is mixed in well, I pour in my milk. We use 1 percent, but any will do. Just make it richer. I pour almost a full skillet of milk in. Stir it with your fork over medium to low heat until it boils and thickens. Now if your gravey gets too thick add more milk until it comes to a boil again, but keep stirring. Serve over bisuits or mashed potatoes.. Yummy..

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I cook buscuits & gravy almost every other weekend. It is dead simple...

Cook a "tube" of sausage...I like the "hot" variety.
When sausage is fully browned, push meat to side of frying pan, and tilt pan away from meat.
Add three 3/8" thick pats of butter from the stick to the collected fat.
When butter is fully melted, add 4 heaping spoonfulls of flour to the butter/fat
stir the flour into the fat to make a paste, and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir flour/fat paste and sausage meat together, make sure to get rid of any lumps, and cover the meat. Cook for another minute.
Add milk to the pan till you have as much gravy as you want.
Turn heat to high until gravy boils.
Let cool & thicken for 3-5 minutes

P

Pigtails

I cook buscuits & gravy almost every other weekend. It is dead simple...

Cook a "tube" of sausage...I like the "hot" variety.
When sausage is fully browned, push meat to side of frying pan, and tilt pan away from meat.
Add three 3/8" thick pats of butter from the stick to the collected fat.
When butter is fully melted, add 4 heaping spoonfulls of flour to the butter/fat
stir the flour into the fat to make a paste, and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir flour/fat paste and sausage meat together, make sure to get rid of any lumps, and cover the meat. Cook for another minute.
Add milk to the pan till you have as much gravy as you want.
Turn heat to high until gravy boils.
Let cool & thicken for 3-5 minutes

:thumb: exactly

American Woman

Site Supporter
This thread is about to convince me to dive to town tonight...I'm hungry for this now. I love sausage gravy. Redneck and I like cooked onions in just about everything. I fix it the same way you do Pigtails except I brown onions with the sausage. Man! Sunny side up eggs would be nice with this:tongue:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I could make a veggie version and pig out on it.
Pigtails, man that sounds good with biscuits AND mashed potatoes!
Carb overload, but who cares? haha!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:chef::brows:Thank heaven!!
I can dig this!!

Ingredients

1 (16.3-ounce) can reduced-fat refrigerated biscuit dough
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 (14-ounce) package meatless fat-free sausage (such as Lightlife Gimme Lean)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Attachments

• biscuit-gravy-ck-1023868-l.jpg
    biscuit-gravy-ck-1023868-l.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 121

Trakternut

What, what do you mean. You mean the next time out there I won't be able to buy the stuff anymore???
I don't know when the plant's shutting down. The couple that own it are still keeping their store in Bismarck. They just found it's cheaper to have other North Dakota owned plants process the meat for them.

P

Pigtails

This thread is about to convince me to dive to town tonight...I'm hungry for this now. I love sausage gravy. Redneck and I like cooked onions in just about everything. I fix it the same way you do Pigtails except I brown onions with the sausage. Man! Sunny side up eggs would be nice with this:tongue:

Took me along time to figure out how to make it. We have it about once a month.. hehe .. maybe, if I cook Bill his mashed potatoes instead of biscuits. :whistling:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Biscuits & gravy, Fried eggs over-easy (fried in bacon fat of course), Toast (to soak up the egg yolk), Crispy roast beef hash, A huge glass of O.J. and a mug of black coffee.

A perfect breakfast....or any meal.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Biscuits & gravy, Fried eggs over-easy (fried in bacon fat of course), Toast (to soak up the egg yolk), Crispy roast beef hash, A huge glass of O.J. and a mug of black coffee.

A perfect breakfast....or any meal.

NOPE, don't think so. Change that toast to some of my Late Grandmother's:flowers: "stand-over" biscuits, & I'd eat till I'm sick.:thumb:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
OK, lazy heathen input here -- Sam's Club sells a pretty decent "peppered white gravy" mix that's vegetarian friendly (i.e. no lard or chicken fat in it) and you can add whatever meat to it you want. If you're feeling even more lazy than that, they also sell #10 cans of sausage gravy that's not too bland once heated, but adding extra garlic & black pepper is always good.