• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydraulic repair help!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I need some quick help! One of the rigid steel hydraulic lines on my tractor has sprung a leak in the middle of it's run. Apparently, it has been rubbing on a frame member and finally wore a hole through the wall. What can I do for a quick fix??? I tried JB weld, but no matter how good I tried to clean it, the hydraulic fluid leaked out and the JB slid right off onto the ground. The line is for the oil cooler, so it is probably low pressure (i.e., it's not a front loader line). Can I put a square of sheet metal around it, and clamp the crap out of it with hose clamps? Obviously no dealer is open so I can't get a replacement line (besides, I bet they charge an arm and a leg!)

I'd like to get back on the tractor in a couple hours because I have a lot of mowing to do today.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
go to the hardware store and get some of the "magic" self vulcanizing silicone tape to seal the hole - then a couple hose clamps to keep hydraulic pressure from splitting it?

urednecku

Site Supporter
Some auto parts stores are open on sunday, that might be able to build a new hose.

I have used heater/radiator hose tape to repair a leak in air conditioner hose on a vehicle. Clean ALL oil off, wrap as many times as possible, then cover with clamps, tight & as close together as possible, to keep from blowing off (in your case, maybe also wrap with that square of tin around it.) The man at the repair shop laughed..... until he found out my "patch" was not leaking .

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK...I have a handful of hose clamps, some silicone gasket material and some sheet metal. I'm going to put the gasket material on first with the sheet metal and then hold it in place with clamps.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Clamps close together, touching, right over the whole. Good luck.

Nope. Didn't work. I tried it without the sheet metal too, but the gasket material just kept sliding around, and I couldn't clamp it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dave,

Sometime ago I had about the same thing. I did the hose thing like mentioned before and had the hose about 4" long with a clamp on each end. It has been that way now for 3 years still working. The problem you might have is getting a hose on the steel line without cutting it. I cut mine so I could get the hose on.

murph

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It's got a hole in it anyway...........cut it and splice a hose in.