• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lustron Home

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There is one here in town,and I pass by it from time to time.
I found this article on it.
Pretty interesting (sorry for the long article).

“Living in a lunchbox” or “a tin can” are a few phrases tossed at those who chose to purchase a Lustron stainless steel pre-fab home in the immediate post WWII years from 1947 to 1950.

Less than 3,000 were ever manufactured before Carl Strandlund’s idea to solve the housing shortage for veterans ended in bankruptcy.

Built in a former aircraft plant in Columbus, most of these homes ended up with home owners in the Midwest, including one in Delphos, two in Spencerville, three in Van Wert and several more in Lima.

Strandlund was a manufacturer of porcelain-coated steel panels used in that era for facades of gas stations and fast-food restaurants. He had not originally intended to build homes. Wartime restrictions on steel were still in place in 1946, so he worked with two Chicago architects to sketch out plans for all-steel, prefabricated homes to solve the housing shortage.

The Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) approved his ideas, giving him a $12.5 million loan for his new business and approved an annual lease on one-half of the Curtiss-Wright plant in Columbus, which had been used during the war to build planes.

Strandlund came up with the name of Lustron (luster on steel) and the homes were advertised as “A New Standard for Living.” The homes were designed with a built-in vanity in the bedroom, storage space and sliding doors. The dining room had a built-in buffet with pass-through to the kitchen. The kitchen had an option for a built-in, under-the-sink washing machine, that with the addition of a special rack, would double as a dishwasher.

The serial number for each home was mounted in the utility room where the hot water heater and furnace was housed. The newest kind of heating was featured as a ceiling-mounted, oil-fired hot-air furnace that heated the metal ceiling tiles, which would heat the entire house.

Jim Herfurth lives in one of two adjoining Lustron properties in Spencerville.

“It didn’t work, since heat rises, the floor was cold all the time,” he said.

He has lived in his home for approximately 17 years and both he and his neighbor have rare Lustron garages on their properties.

Mike and Trina Louth, who live in one of three Lustron homes situated on State Route 118 in Van Wert, love their home.

“It’s a little more spacious because it was the 3-bedroom model but the original owner had it put together as two bedrooms, so there’s a lot more room in the living room area,” Mike Louth said.

Jennifer Schaffner, who lives in a Lustron home on East Fourth Street in Delphos, is happy just to be a first-time home owner and plans some repair and updating to her home.

“I’ve lived here four years and it’s a little small but I love it. I always wanted to be a meteorologist and I saw on a web site where a F-5 tornado struck an area where there was a Lustron home. All the wood structures around it were reduced to just splinters but the Lustron home was still standing, minus the windows and the roof,” she said.

Other advertisements claimed the homes were fire-, decay-, rust-, termite-, vermin- and rat-proof. The home would not stain, crack or peel, would never need re-painted or re-roofed and could be kept clean with a damp cloth or a hose.

The 2-3 bedroom homes took 12 tons of steel and one ton of enamel for each home, including the shingles, with an estimated cost of $6,000 to $10,000 (garages extra) and were shipped in 30,000 pieces.

Exterior color choices ranged from gray, yellow, blue-green, pink, tan and white for the 2-foot-square steel tile panels. It was estimated 400 manhours were spent in manufacturing and 300 hours assembly at the delivery site.

Houses could be ordered like a car: go to the dealership, pick a model and color and wait for delivery and assemble at the chosen site.

Strandlund’s company ran into financial trouble almost immediately. Tooling the Columbus factory was more expensive than originally estimated and the government-backed loan did not cover start up expenses.

Dealers needed $50,000-$100,000 to get started and had to buy lots, pour foundations and run utility lines. They also had to pay cash at the factory. The Federal Housing Administration slowed down the approval of mortgages for prospective buyers.

Strandlund had estimated he could produce 100 homes daily at a cost of $6,500 each. The first Lustron home was produced in March 1948. Cost of the Lustron homes grew to $11,000 compared to $8,000 for a typical 1950 wood-frame house. Only 26 homes were being made a day, with 50 needed just to break even financially.

Finally, in Feb. 1950, Lustron was foreclosed by the National Housing Agency (RCA) with a $37.5 million debt to the federal government.

Approximately 2,680 unique all-steel homes were manufactured, leaving those homeowners to struggle with repair and upkeep with their one-of-a-kind houses.

The strange washing machine-dishwasher machine was the first to go in many Lustron homes as it did not work properly. The radiant heat through the ceiling tiles was another failure with a lot of homeowners turning to baseboard heat.

There seems to be a cult revival and renewed interest in the few remaining Lustron homes in the last few years. A group with multiple chemical sensitivities were interested last year in purchasing 60 Lustron homes to be removed from the Quantico military base to make room for new housing.

Lustron homes are featured in an article in the April issue of Old-House Living magazine. Lustron homeowners have their own web site and will have their third international convention this year in June in Cedar Rapids.

Perhaps those collectors of 1940s and ‘50s memorabilia are looking for more than an old Volkswagon or “I Love Lucy” items. If one just has an estimated $65,000-$125,000 to dissemble and move a Lustron onto a lot, then all one will need is the 207-page original book to help put it all together again.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Why thank you Paul.
I thought perhaps maybe someone else had seen one, or had known of anyone who'd lived in one.

Whenever I take my niece Kaiti on jaunts around town she says 'Oh look, there's that weird house"
It's improved since the photo. The owners have painted the porch beam and made the lawn area look pretty spiffy.
It's definitely one of a kind around here, very retro.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep an eye out for one of these. There's one in north Albuquerque.

Sears Mail-order/Catalog Home

Beginning in 1908, Sears issued its first specialty catalog for houses, Book of Modern Homes and Building Plans, featuring 22 styles ranging in price from US$650–$2,500 ($12,200–$47,100 in 2003 dollars). Sears bought a lumber mill and arranged for production of kits from which homes could be assembled to be made in Southern Illinois. The first mail-order was filled in 1909.

Attachments

• SearsHouse115.jpg
    SearsHouse115.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 743
  • Diaz_Creek_New_Jersey.jpg
    Diaz_Creek_New_Jersey.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 719

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, that looks like many of the old farm houses that are still standing around here.
Weather vanes are still on them too!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a home that was built by a pretty famous resident of the town.
His name is Leslie Peltier. He was an astronomer http://www.aavso.org/aavso/membership/lcpeltier.shtml
The home, Brookhaven still stands, right down the road from me. :D
If any of you can get ahold of his book Starlight Nights (might be in libraries here in the midwest) I can guarantee you, it's a fabulous read.
Our library has several autographed copies.
I've read that book like 10 times, because it's so folksy and down to earth- chock full of the man's wit.

Attachments

• 4_Peltier_home_in_Delphos_Ohio.jpg
    4_Peltier_home_in_Delphos_Ohio.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 711

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

I think my place at the ranch was a precut kit. Possibly from Sears.

Here's an old photo with Grandma and one of the cousins (maybe me!) in the attic window.

The house today is only 14 ft x 50 ft. That's only 700 square feet. I think as-built, it was originally 14' x 32'. It still looks about the same as this 1951 photo.

Attachments

• Ranch1951r(NoName).jpg
    Ranch1951r(NoName).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 721

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
All the houses on my street including the three houses I've owned were all prefabed wartime houses from the early fifties. They came in on train cars folded up. Once unloaded, the houses were put on the property, the walls(allatched to the floor) were lifted up, and a flat roof was installed. The houses were all designed with hinges foining the walls to the floor including one right in the middle of the floor. So really, the houses folded up like an accordion so they would fit on a rail car.

Since then, all the houses were upgraded with peaked roofs, some with basements etc....

good find on the article....

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have worked in several Lustron Homes here in Columbus. They were manufactured here, so shipping was cheaper. A bunch are still standing. They are a bitch to install electric in after the fact. It's been 25 years since I worked on one, but you could take off panels from the outside and run the wiring in the walls.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob, I lived in one that may or may not have been a Sears home. The label in the attic said it was a National Home but the same idea. Assembled on site and bolted together. The outside walls were made in 4X8 panels at the plant and stood up and bolted together. The roof trusses seemed to be made in two parts, split down the middle of the house and the beams bolted together in the attic.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I have worked in several Lustron Homes here in Columbus.... They are a bitch to install electric in.
A metal house? Don't those get a little spooky in a lightning storm?

Jerry, have you ever seen posterboard, high density cardboard, used for interior walls? My (possibly kit) farmhouse, built around 1910, has interior walls in the main room made from panels of 3/16" high density cardboard. This is mounted vertical, with vertical battens about every 2 ft all around the room covering the joints where the panels meet on each stud.

This cardboard and batten construction goes from the chair rail up to the ceiling. The ceiling is made from the same heavy cardboard with battens both directions on a 2 ft grid.

The walls below the chair rail are inch thick planks nailed horizontal. I've never seen anything like this.

This house, the whole thing, is a nightmare to repair. Everything is twice as complicated as modern construction, because it was built so cheap in the first place. Everybody keeps telling me to just bulldoze it, but I kind of like it authentic rustic.

Attachments

• P1050807r 640WallByHeater.JPG
    P1050807r 640WallByHeater.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 641

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
In a lightning storm.... I wrap myself in a blanket of aluminum foil and wear a 7 foot whip antenna on my head. :rolleyes:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Jerry, have you ever seen posterboard, high density cardboard, used for interior walls?

Actually yes. The 1954 kit home I talked about before had that on the walls about 3/8" thick. Looks like compressed paper. The ceilings were drywall though.