• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Night owl

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I must be the only night owl at this site. I have noticed the volume of posting and online member/guests goes down.

I have no idea how this is relevant to anything whatsoever, but I jsut thought I would mention it.

(Wow, I'm really enjoying my whiskey tonight :beer: )

Dave

OkeeDon

Nah, I have trouble sleeping sometimes, so I poke in from time to time. Right now, my daughter and s-i-l went on a cruise; Betsy and I are staying with their kids. I'm having trouble getting used to a strange bed, this is notone of my better nights health-wise, and the middle grandkid (Erin, 3 years old) crawled in the bed. Her parents let her do it, and I'm not going to break it in one night, so I'm outa there and back out to my motor home, where I normally stay while I'm in Okeechobee (for those who don't know, my Okeechobee property is next door to my daughter and family). As long as I'm awake, I check in here. It's early; it's not even 2 am, yet.

LarryRB

OkeeDon said:
Nah, I have trouble sleeping sometimes, so I poke in from time to time. I'm having trouble getting used to a strange bed, this is notone of my better nights health-wise, .

I'm like this,, We went to Indiana couple weeks back, four nights in two different motels, and felt weird and restless all the time... Although, I have to sleep with legs elevated quite high or not sleep at all. Had to ask for mucho extra pillows, which helped, but is still isn't bed at home..

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
During the week I stop in from early morning to about 5pm CST. I often stop in late evenings while the TV is on and I'm not watching. Weekends are often early mornings and evenings. If I am working around the house on the weekend I will stop in at all sorts of times, largely because my computers have instant on internet, so I will take a moment to open check on things, then go back outside for more work. I have rheumatoid arthritis, I find I need to take frequent breaks. I often work for an hour, take a break, work another hour, take another break. My arthritis flares up if I don't follow this pattern, 3 or 4 hours of straight work leads me to day of pain. And when I refer to work, I mean things like yard work, which I often enjoy. Yesterday I bought 10 trees (3 elms about 12' tall, 7 crab apples about 7' tall), and about 15 bushes (3 and 5 gallon pots). Today I will likely get very few of those in the ground. But even if I am awake late at night (I was last night after the fire alarm in my new garage faulted:confused:), I do not go on line. It would keep me awake!!!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
.......... Yesterday I bought 10 trees (3 elms about 12' tall, 7 crab apples about 7' tall), and about 15 bushes (3 and 5 gallon pots). Today I will likely get very few of those in the ground.

Water them every day until there is a strong possibility that the ground is going to do a hard frost. I read that the single factor of success is watering when the are new to the ground. Winter dehydrates them so they need lots of water before winter.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Water them every day until there is a strong possibility that the ground is going to do a hard frost. I read that the single factor of success is watering when the are new to the ground. Winter dehydrates them so they need lots of water before winter.

We try to do that. Most of our plantings occur in late fall, often as late as Thanksgiving. We have a garden center we work with and they know us on a first name basis there. We stopped in for a few small plants and advice yesterday and they said "hey we are selling out some trees for $15 each, how many do you want. . ." I looked at the trees, most had retail price stickers of $129, others as high as $159, all were the same $15 price. I stopped at 10, but they offered me 15. None are perfect, all are healthy, and given the property size we play on, it works out well for us. On all the other plants we got 40% off; all of those are perfect. And they tossed in some free stuff on top of the 40% discount.

Honestly I don't know why people plant in the spring when the real deals are occuring now.

BTW, did I officially throw this thread off topic? If so, do I get an award for being the first to do so:smileywac

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point on the deals Bob. A couple years ago we did the same thing. We'll have to do some shopping around this week and see what we can find. Thanks for the reminder.
Do you have a tractor impliment you use to dig the hole for these? FEL makes a big hole ...wondering if you use it or just a shovel?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
BTW, did I officially throw this thread off topic? If so, do I get an award for being the first to do so:smileywac

At Forums,Forums, there is no such thing as "off topic". We are survivors and know how to adapt to the change in direction quickly.. :a1:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
At Forums,Forums, there is no such thing as "off topic". We are survivors and know how to adapt to the change in direction quickly.. :a1:

LOL...this post didn't really have much of a topic to begin with. :drink:

Dave

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Do I really have a chioce most the time, morning here is like the middle of the night for you. Its now 15:30, probably middle of the morning for you now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Good point on the deals Bob. A couple years ago we did the same thing. We'll have to do some shopping around this week and see what we can find. Thanks for the reminder.
Do you have a tractor impliment you use to dig the hole for these? FEL makes a big hole ...wondering if you use it or just a shovel?

Typically I use the PHD with a 12" auger. I drill 3 holes in a triangular pattern close together for potted plants. For something with a large rootball in burlap I may dig 5 or 6 holes in a roughly circular pattern. The spoils spill into the other holes and the center usually collapses. It all shovels out easily by hand. For fairly small potted bushes, just drill 1 hole; make sure you 'score' the sides of the hole so they are roughed up if you have a high clay content or you will actually create a clay pot in your ground and the roots will be potbound inside the hole!

Not that I would know from personal experience:whistle:, but if you dig the holes too deep, and if you don't compact the soil well enough, the trees/bushes can either sink or tip. So I find digging with the PHD you only want to drill down about 125 to 150% deeper than the pot or the root ball is tall. For a 12" deep pot, drill down 15" to 18". For a 2' tall root ball, drill down about 30".

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I usually dig the hole with the backhoe and then fill with loam. Plant and backfill with loam. Dispose of the "dirt" and then water. The loam gives the plants a good start untill the roots grow out into the surrounding soil. I also put a handful of 10-10-10 into the hole and cover with some loam along with 2 handfulls of alfalfa pellets. Works well for me.... junk..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply Bob ....between you and Junk you've pointed out two impliments that I need. A PHD and a BH. A PHD I planned to rent whenever I need one. A BH I have a hard time justifying, but sure would be nice at times.

Another topic mentioned somewhere here on FF but if you guys would be so kind as to fill me in here: Henro. I thought he was on an extended alaskan vacation. Which I'm thought really happened. Was that just a front (excuse) for his departure from TBN? Does anyone have his home email that we could invite him over here?

Thanks guys!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Thanks for the reply Bob ....between you and Junk you've pointed out two impliments that I need. A PHD and a BH. A PHD I planned to rent whenever I need one. A BH I have a hard time justifying, but sure would be nice at times.

Another topic mentioned somewhere here on FF but if you guys would be so kind as to fill me in here: Henro. I thought he was on an extended alaskan vacation. Which I'm thought really happened. Was that just a front (excuse) for his departure from TBN? Does anyone have his home email that we could invite him over here?

Thanks guys!

1) A PHD is pretty cheap, mine is the cheapest I could find and came from TSC. Paid under $400. Its been going strong for 2+ years and I'd buy the same again.

2) Henro, to the best of my knowledge did go on a real extended vacation. He also chose to stay away from TBN to get real work done on his property. He wrote that he was spending too much time in front of the screen instead of on the tractor. I think it was legit.

AndyM

Charter Member
Doc said:

Thanks guys!

I have Henro's email on my other computer... I'll PM it to you when I get up and walk across two rooms to get there.

EDIT: I looked and couldn't find his email address. I'm pretty sure Junkman has it though.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for checking Andy. OkeeDon PM'd me an old one of Henro's, a couple of years old, but it might work. Cross yer fingers, maybe we can persuade Henro to join.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He (Henro) only lives about 15-20 miles from me. If you need someone to stop in and give a personal invite, let me know.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Go for it. I had his email address, however since I was locked out, I can't access it. Most places will at least let you clean out your desk before they force you to leave... :mad:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Henro replied back to me last night. He is doing well, and rather busy. He said he would take a look at this forum when he had time and wished us success.

BoneheadNW

I was just wondering what it would be like to bring back an old post for no reason at all. Boy, this is exciting. :rock: Hmmm, night owl. Is there such a thing as a day owl?
Bonehead