• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I got the boating Idiot award for 2004 !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Every year in Panama an award is given out for the craziest stunt in boating . I received that award in 2004 .

It happened as I was taking my old boat to town . Its a 3000 pound dug out canoe called a Cayuco ! 31 feet long .Its like driving a telephone pole with a motor attached . They are the work truck of boats ! I rowed it out of the boat house and got ready to start the 40 HP Yamaha . I did not know that the caretaker had warmed up the motor for me already .I did not clip on the safety shut off key . I usually do this after the motor is running . I turned the throttle to full advance . As I bent over the motor and yanked the starter rope ,it roared to life . I was not expecting this and my hand slipped and knocked it into gear .

It shot off and pitched me right over the stern . Then the motor turned to the side and it went into a hard left turn right back at me . As it tried to run me down , I dove and pushed off the bottom of the boat . I think the prop missed me by inches . The boat ended up 40 feet into the Mangrove trees . I had 10 workmen running toward me and the boat, knowing that I was probably dead and they had just loss their paycheck .Everybody was pulling me in a different direction .
I was cussing like a true sailor and my poor caretaker thought he was fired !

I now have my other worker guy, Genaro , take me to town as I do not trust myself to run the boat .

Its just another great memory of life on a island !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a great picture of my old boat !

Attachments

• DSC04955.jpg
    DSC04955.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 419

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It shot off and pitched me right over the stern .

Like a back flip into the water, or what?
:yum:
Thank God you missed the motor.
You have to stop with these stories Al.
The visuals inside my head always crack me up. LOL

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
This guy won that same award in the fall of '08.............

Attachments

• boat launch.jpg
    boat launch.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 399

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny Allen!!! :yum: :yum: Was the water over your head? You mentioned in another post how shallow it is down where you boat.

Why are the boats so thin? Your old boat looks nice, but it looks like 1/2 a boat ...as if someone cut it down the middle lengthwise and made two boats out of it. :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Funny Allen!!! :yum: :yum: Was the water over your head? You mentioned in another post how shallow it is down where you boat.

Why are the boats so thin? Your old boat looks nice, but it looks like 1/2 a boat ...as if someone cut it down the middle lengthwise and made two boats out of it. :yum:
This boat was carved from one tree . The big ones are 50 feet long and 5 feet wide . My new one is all fiberglass 22 foot with a sun top . Much nicer and more stable .
Yes,, the water was about 7 feet where I did my forward flip off the back .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Every year in Panama an award is given out for the craziest stunt in boating . I received that award in 2004 .

It happened as I was taking my old boat to town . Its a 3000 pound dug out canoe called a Cayuco ! 31 feet long .Its like driving a telephone pole with a motor attached . They are the work truck of boats ! I rowed it out of the boat house and got ready to start the 40 HP Yamaha . I did not know that the caretaker had warmed up the motor for me already .I did not clip on the safety shut off key . I usually do this after the motor is running . I turned the throttle to full advance . As I bent over the motor and yanked the starter rope ,it roared to life . I was not expecting this and my hand slipped and knocked it into gear .

It shot off and pitched me right over the stern . Then the motor turned to the side and it went into a hard left turn right back at me . As it tried to run me down , I dove and pushed off the bottom of the boat . I think the prop missed me by inches . The boat ended up 40 feet into the Mangrove trees . I had 10 workmen running toward me and the boat, knowing that I was probably dead and they had just loss their paycheck .Everybody was pulling me in a different direction .
I was cussing like a true sailor and my poor caretaker thought he was fired !

I now have my other worker guy, Genaro , take me to town as I do not trust myself to run the boat .

Its just another great memory of life on a island !

BigAl,
What is it with you going head first into the drink all the time? I think it has to be a subconcious thing........:yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You're lucky it didn't hit you. A local guy a few years ago was standing up while driving his speedboat(steering wheel, windsheild etc). He went to turn the boat at full throttle when the boat hooked a wave from another boat. He was thrown over the side and struck over and over by the prop as the boat circled round and round with noone at the wheel. He didn't survive.

jwstewar

This guy won that same award in the fall of '08.............

Was it because he put the truck in the water or because he put the Obama sticker in the back window?:whistling:

I know, I bet someone put it there as a joke and he was ashamed of the truck then and wanted to hide it. Someone should have told him a razor blade would have taken it off.:yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Rule 1 = attach lanyard.

You are a lucky guy Al. Most people that this happens are now ex-people.