• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garden

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
24 tomato plants
9 Jalapeño plants
18 sweet peppers
approx 50 sweet walla-walla onions.

I plan on making lots of salsa. :whistling:

This is my first garden since I planted one for gardening merit badge in Boy Scouts.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Update on my Colorado Beetles, well not mine they are pretty much gone. As in the past none of the chemicals worked so this year I picked them off and killed them which last year did not work. But I found when picking beetles to turn the leaf of the potato plant over and find the eggs then smash them. While I have gotten some of the youngster I was able to stay ahead of them. Now for the last two weeks I go out every night and I may find one or two out there. So the trick was getting the eggs before they hatched.

I also found that peas give off a lot of nitrogen. My corn next to the peas is twice as tall as the corn in rows away from the peas. Next year I will plant the peas first leaving room for corn in between. After the peas are up and going then plant the corn so I can get the peas out before the corn shades them too much.

murph

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
24 tomato plants
9 Jalapeño plants
18 sweet peppers
approx 50 sweet walla-walla onions.

I plan on making lots of salsa. :whistling:

This is my first garden since I planted one for gardening merit badge in Boy Scouts.
Show off!!:yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Update, my corn is now 8ft tall. Be careful of what you say as there is so many ears around.

Attachments

• 0727091725.jpg
    0727091725.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 43

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The last two weeks I enjoyed some great raspberries.

Attachments

• 0731092007.jpg
    0731092007.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 36
  • 0731092001.jpg
    0731092001.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 37

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Corn should be ready in about two weeks.

Attachments

• 0731092011.jpg
    0731092011.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 35

BoneheadNW

You've got some big berries there boy! Can you show a picture of the berry bushes to get an idea of what they look like? Are you going to make them into a pie?
Bone

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I will get a picture of the bushes later today and post them. This is the first year so I have a lot more bush than berry. Next year I will have more than I can handle I am sure and will make some jelly or jam.

murph

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here you go Bone, the length of the raspberry patch is about 25 feet by 6 feet. 6 feet is a tad bit wide for getting into the center so I may cut it back to 5 feet. I have another two rows that I stared two weeks ago transplanting from the first.

Attachments

• DSC00208.JPG
    DSC00208.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00209.JPG
    DSC00209.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 67

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is my pumpkins. The biggest right now is just bigger than a bowling ball.

Attachments

• DSC00210.JPG
    DSC00210.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 68

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My potatoes. I did not plant many this year because last year I had so many problems with Colorado Beetles. This is two rows and they were planted 3 feet apart. But the vines have grown so much the are overgrowing each other. Wished I would have planted more when I planted these.

I did just last week plant more. I know I won't get the larger ones but should be enough time for me to harvest a bunch of small baby taters.

Attachments

• DSC00211.JPG
    DSC00211.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 71

BoneheadNW

I don't know about other parts of the country, but the NW is inundated with all types of berries. Aside from being a nuisance (I just hacked out a good 40 x 50 ft patch), they are great eating.

What is the fence there to keep out? Can't be deer, unless they are those midget kind the size of rabbits.
Bone

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
the fence is for the rabbits. however it has kept the deer out from eating the leaves on the raspberry bushes.

BoneheadNW

Hey Murph, how big a piece of property you got there? Don't go ballistic on me, I am asking about the property your house is on!:hammer:
Bone

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had a big wind storm come through last night. All of my raspberries are on the ground and my corn is knocked over. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

Attachments

• 0803091831.jpg
    0803091831.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0803091830.jpg
    0803091830.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 0803091833.jpg
    0803091833.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 36

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Awww first corn. Well actually that was my third one. This was Jubilee corn and is very sweet.

Attachments

• DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 22

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
God Steve, that corn looks delicious!

I bought 6 ears of sweet corn from a roadside stand on the way to work the other day.

Ate 3 for lunch one day, and will have the others this weekend.

PS:- I have green plates just like that lol

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Instead of just eating the corn I thought it best to start canning some of it. I went out and picked 5 grocery bags of corn roughly about 100 ears. Got about 45 ears cleaned and decided to start cutting some of it so my wife can can. I helped her finish the 45 ears and we ended up with 9 bags of corn roughly a quart each. Based on what we have left to clean and pick I could end up with about 60 bags. That is if I don't keep giving it to all of the neighbors.

Attachments

• Corn 2009.jpg
    Corn 2009.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 15

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did the rest of the corn tonight, ended up with even more frozen tonight than last night. I should have plenty of corn for the winter. Pumpkins are starting to turn. I have about 40 of them just a tad bigger than a bowling ball.

Found one potato sticking out of the ground so I pulled it out. Not a bad size.

Attachments

• 0817091927.jpg
    0817091927.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0817091927a.jpg
    0817091927a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0817091930.jpg
    0817091930.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6