• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heartbreak! CA Supreme Court nixes vote on 3 state proposal

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heartbreak! CA Supreme Court nixes vote on 3 state proposal
Posted by Leslie Eastman Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 7:00pm

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/...t-nixes-vote-on-3-state-proposal/#more-255299

For Legal Insurrection readers looking forward to the chaos and drama of November’s election in California, I have some heartbreaking news.

The California Supreme Court unanimously decided to remove from the ballot the measure that would eventually lead to a division of California into three states.

In a brief order, the court said it acted “because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition’s validity and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election.”

The court, meeting in closed session, also agreed to rule eventually on the measure’s constitutionality, a ruling that is likely to go against the initiative. The challenge was filed last week by the Planning and Conservation League, an environmental group.

“They would not have removed it from the ballot unless it was their considered judgment that it is very likely not a valid measure that can go to the voters,” said University of Illinois law school dean Vikram Amar, a former UC Davis law professor.

Bay Area venture capitalist Tim Draper, who drafted Prop. 9, was angered by the decision.

In an emailed statement, Draper denounced the ruling as a sign that the initiative process had been “corrupted,” likening the outcome to “what happens in third world countries” and saying his court foes had trampled on the will of voters.

“Apparently, the insiders are in cahoots and the establishment doesn’t want to find out how many people don’t like the way California is being governed. They are afraid to know the answer as to whether we need a fresh start here in California,” Draper said.

I am a little disappointed. While I did not anticipate the measure would pass, or the division proceed even if Proposition 9 was successful, I was planning to vote for separation. It was going to be my personal message to Sacramento on how much I detest the #Resistance-based, Sanctuary-State-promoting, climate-justice-insanity governance from state politicians and bureaucrats.

The key issue for the court was the fact that a change in the boundaries would require a change in the the California constitution.

The narrower legal issue is whether Prop. 9, drafted as a change in the laws that define California’s boundaries, would actually amount to a “revision” of the state Constitution. That cannot be done by initiative, but instead requires approval by two-thirds of both houses of the Legislature to be placed on the ballot.

“We believe it is clear that a ballot initiative may not revise the Constitution by making changes in the basic framework of government,” said Carlyle Hall, a lawyer for opponents who sued to take Prop. 9 off the ballot. “And there can be no greater change in our framework of government than the total abolition of our existing Constitution.”

So, it appears that in November, the only drama we will have is related to the selection of our U.S. Senator.

California Democrats toss Sen. Feinstein under bus, endorsing rival De León in Senate Race
https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/...r-bus-endorsing-rival-de-leon-in-senate-race/

Attachments

• 1D541FCE-B7D7-440D-AA66-BE3896453AEE.png
    1D541FCE-B7D7-440D-AA66-BE3896453AEE.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 37

rugerman

Well there goes another democratic scheme to increase their political power down the drain, you just can’t make that crap up.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Last thing we needed was two more wacky blue states and 4 more wacky liberal Senators.

Now, lets talk about forming the State of Jefferson out of the carcass that is currently called California and see with the DimWits think of that.

rugerman

Ok how about we split all the red states in at least two and increase the number of red state legislators, I bet that there would be a bunch of hollering about that.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It never made sense tome that a State which apparently advocates for a one world order would even consider breaking into smaller pieces.

This is the same State that steals water from it's neighbors. Imagine the interstate fights over the new stat of Northern California's resources so Los Angelo's could fill their swimming pools in the new California.:yum:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If it came to be they would face many, many different forms of the law of unintended consequences.
Mike